TV in Aber Watch

JamieB89
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
I want to take a TV with me to Aber, not that I'll spend all my time watching it, just handy for Neighbours and Hollyoaks!

For anyone who has a taken a TV with them, what is the reception like? I'm taking a TV with built in Freeview and staying in Cwrt Mawr, and although the website shows that there is a signal for Freeview there, does it actually work? Are there any master ariels for the accomodation, or do I need to bring an indoor ariel with me?
loopylauren
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
You need an indoor ariel with you. I had a tv with me but I didn't get great reception and didn't get some channels. It definately depends what flat you are in. I was on the ground floor of one of the Cwrt Mawr blocks and I didn't get ITV at all where as the top floor got it and obviously had way better reception. My freeview box worked in the first semmester but didn't work at all in the second due to signal. I was surrounded by a lot of trees though so this might make a difference as I know people in other Cwrt Mawr blocks that didn't have a problem.
Invisible Painting
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Yeah my flatmates ones worked fine, freeview or not. But I was on the 1st floor and had openish area surrounding my accommodation. I'd say bring it though yes, especially given you won't know where in each accommodation you'll be living in until you get there, Also the licence fee is £130-ish which you will have to pay but if you're ok with that then you'll be fine.
apresmoi
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Roll on S4C, you're going to love it. <3 is it sad that i actually miss it and all its pobyl y cym glory?

I was in Cwrt Mawr, middle floor and the opposite end of Cwrt Mawr to Lorenzo.I couldn't get BBC2, but 1, 2 and 3 were o.k. The license isn't to bad, they'll stage it for you so it'll be about £35 a month.
loopylauren
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'm lorenzo incase anyone is wondering lol.

I'm not a fan of S4C, my tv couldn't get subtitles as I broke the remote and half the shows aren't even the same. You'll obviously get regular channel 4 with freeview. And yes it is sad you miss pobyl y cym :p:
BexTait
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
As said, depends entirely on where exactly your room is as to how good the reception is. And you will need a TV licence.
Crisps
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
You can save a little bit on the cost of the TV license by getting one just before term starts, and cancelling it at the end of the year. If you time it right like my housemate did, you'll only pay for 9 months, not 12.
JamieB89
Thanks for everyones responses. I think I'll definetly take Freeview with me so that I can get Channel 4 (I HATE S4C)!! Because of the signal problems I might also buy an ariel with a signal booster on it to ensure I can get the best reception.

With the TV license, did everybody actually buy one? I know of a lot of people in Universities who have avoided buying one and have never had any trouble with it.
loopylauren
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I only got mine in March but because I was in the new blocks that had changed names that year the TV licence people didn't really know we existed for a long time and only just started sending letters then whereas other blocks had been getting warnings for ages. It depends whether or not you want to risk it really. I know people that watched TV without a licence and they never got visited but personally I'd rather not risk the £1000 fine.
Olyy
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by JamieB89)
I know of a lot of people in Universities who have avoided buying one and have never had any trouble with it.
There's always the chance that you could be the one that gets caught out, though

My brother didn't buy one in his first year in uni, but he knows someone who went back to halls in his third, and got caught out
Somebody
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
All the other 7 people in my flat got letters as did the "communal room" (which we assumed meant our kitchen). I got nothing all year I don't exist apparently! (but had no TV anyways, so not a big deal for me!)
AsphyxiateD
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
lol in my first hall, 3 of them consistently got letters... only one of which owned a TV, but he had no aerial. The other 2, well one used his laptop for DVD's, the other just had a radio lol. I actually had a TV (but no aerial, just used my PS3 and DVD player) and got no letters, and my mate had a TV and "never" used his aerial yet got no letters.
Invisible Painting
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
They just sent it to everyone in our flat who they hadn't registered as paying (most of us, only two of us had a TV licence). I called them up after the second letter and said 'I have a TV but I don't have reception I only use it for the Wii' and they didn't send anything after that. But some of my flatmates had letters till the end of the year lol.

One of my flatmates used the TV from another one of my flatmates rooms, and used it to get reception, even though they hadn't paid the bill and the person that paid the bill for their room had no TV to watch it with...but they didn't mind. The kitchen a TV was up for a while as well with no fee paid for it, but after the letters became a bit more threatening (i.e. red writing was used for some of it) that was scraped and the TV was put away.

But people never came through the year to check, don't think they did for anyone, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't get one still :p:
Crisps
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
The tactic of the TV licensing people is to scare you, so they bombard you with letters. You won't see enforcement officers visiting halls (well, I haven't seen them in three years)
JamieB89
I know that they send out letters to most students, even if they dont have a TV. It sounds like from the last few posts that people have managed to get away with it, and if there are no enforcement officers visiting the halls, I don't think I'll bother getting one. If the worst happens I can just hide the ariel and say it was just being used for DVDs!
Tory Dan
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I really wouldn't bother, even with freeview I could only get like 6 channels which was pathetic. I was on the ground flour in Cwrt Mawr C and everyone in my flat had the same, the best place was in the kitchen but with 4OD, BBC iplayer and the ITV service you don't really need a tv I would say now.
--**Sparkle**-
Report 10 years ago
i had freeview working fine in cwrt mawr D block on the ground floor. But it would only work when my laptop was off :confused: something to do with the signal i suppose
Teacupx
Report 10 years ago
Hey,
think it works ok, was in D block and friend had freeview which kept freezing but on normal tv it was fine, i didnt take a tv i just used bbc iplayer and itv website, only used them for odd soaps though, also everyone in flat kept getting warnings but no one ever came around
Invisible Painting
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Oh yeah that reminds me, for us to get reception in the kitchen we had to attach the freeview box to the ceiling, we got some string and wrapped it around the box and tied it to one of the pipes coming out of the lights. It worked fine then, if it was on the table it just wouldn't get reception frequently enough. Just try moving the box/ariel around if the reception isn't there at first.

Everyone only got threatened by the TV licence people yes, people did not pay for one and got away with it yes. But I'm not going to sit here and reccomend it, the facts about what happens or doesn't happen have been posted, but it's just up to you what you choose to do with that information. But I'm not going to sit here and reccommend it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Aberystwyth University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 10 Jul '19
  • Aberystwyth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 10 Jul '19
  • Aberystwyth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 14 Sep '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (515)
37.56%
No - but I will (107)
7.8%
No - I don't want to (93)
6.78%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (656)
47.85%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed