monsoons
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
So I'm starting my mock exams next Wednesday and have my English lit ones first, but struggle most with timing in the unseen poetry and unseen prose sections - so I was just wondering how long I should be spending on planning for each of these unseen essays? Planning would include reading the extract, annotating, planning my points and paragraph content etc. Would ten minutes be okay? I should be spending 45 minutes on each essay so if I spent 10 on planning, would 35 minutes realistically give me enough time to write the essay? And has anyone actually been able to plan an unseen essay in like 5 minutes? Because I'd like to be able to do that but I'm not sure if it's possible and/or necessary haha. Thanks in advance!
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by monsoons)
So I'm starting my mock exams next Wednesday and have my English lit ones first, but struggle most with timing in the unseen poetry and unseen prose sections - so I was just wondering how long I should be spending on planning for each of these unseen essays? Planning would include reading the extract, annotating, planning my points and paragraph content etc. Would ten minutes be okay? I should be spending 45 minutes on each essay so if I spent 10 on planning, would 35 minutes realistically give me enough time to write the essay? And has anyone actually been able to plan an unseen essay in like 5 minutes? Because I'd like to be able to do that but I'm not sure if it's possible and/or necessary haha. Thanks in advance!
45 mins on each essay with plan of 5-8 minutes. Practice will help you find the right balance. Do timed practice just planning. 35 is enough if your plan is good. Essay plans are diminishing returns as they arent marked.
r3320
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
the joy of mocks is you can test these ideas out.

personally i’d give 8 minutes to the unseen and make sure i’m confident on the overall content of it before i write.

humanities will always be quality not quantity so you’ll get away with 35 minutes minimum but try write at a consistent speed.

plan in your head a suitable structure but you’ll pick up things as you’re writing the essay most likely
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bishop Grosseteste University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 15 Nov '19
  • University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Nov '19
  • University of Roehampton
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Nov '19

If this is your first time voting in an election, will Brexit be a big factor for you?

Yes (5)
62.5%
No (3)
37.5%

Watched Threads