A bit of Impromptu travelling Watch

screenager
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
I was planning on getting a job and working for the summer but now I am thinking I don't want to waste this bit of freedom before I start uni. So what I could do is spend all the money I have saved up and go travelling. I am thinking about going to france and doing some climbing in the alps and maybe taking some trains around Italy and Switzerland. I don't really want to plan what I am doing I just want to see where I end up.

I don't know how long I want to go for but a month is my maximum, I have about £1000 and I am happy to camp so what do you think? Is it stupid to be so unorganised? Will I run out of money and end up stranded in Europe?

If this isn't a ridiculous idea and I do decide to do it what advice do you have and what sort of insurancy complicated stuff do I need to sort out?
Mcjazz
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I think it's a cool idea and if I had the money I'd probably do the same. That said, you will need to organise a few things before you go, and keep some money aside for getting home again! Also, you sure you won't need the money for uni?
screenager
Rep:
?
I don't think I do need the money for uni, I had planned to spend it on a bike and a laptop but I can do without the bike and I can get a cheap laptop.
screenager
Rep:
?
Stop observing and start answering! Seriously I need some help here.
EvilSheep
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I think £1000 should do it really.... Insurance, I don't know.. Are you not included on your parents'? If not, buy the flight tickets with a credit card, that insures you... Should do anyways..
Jaager
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
if your going round europe why fly?? that takes up a lot of money which can be saved by taking the train or the ferry!
Mumintroll
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I don't know, flying can often be as cheap or even cheaper thanks to Ryanair, Wizz air, Sterling etc etc. I used to travel between Stockholm-Lund (southern Sweden) a lot - and it was almost always cheaper to fly than take the train, which is sad when you consider the environment (and equally difficult to comprehend economically, surely it's cheaper to run a train than get a plane in the air for such a relatively short journey? Not sure I'll ever understand the economics of low cost airlines).
I just read a book called "How Low Can You Go" by a travel writer who basically just went to wherever was cheapest on the low cost airlines' websites when he booked - often to places he'd never heard of. It's quite a good read.
screenager
Rep:
?
Thanks for the replies. I am thinking I would prefer to go with ferries, trains and buses because I will have a big rucksack and airlines are sometimes a bit annoying about them and also it is harder to meet interesting people on planes and it feels like more of an adventure the other way.
CocoBean
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
You can get pretty cheap insurance from STA travel where you can get insured for single trips which I found useful:
http://www.statravel.co.uk/cps/rde/x...-insurance.htm

This will leave you with more money for the fun part!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (213)
39.23%
No - but I will (38)
7%
No - I don't want to (36)
6.63%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (256)
47.15%

Watched Threads