"Cat calling: is it wrong"? Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
So, I was walking today and a guy opened the window and said "WOW" to me. I felt a bit flattered because I was having a rough week and someone saying what he said upon looking at me weirdly made me momentarily smile. I should also clarify that he didn't provoke me, follow me, or make any inappropriate glances or sexually suggestive comments.

Now, with my normal tendency to over analyse everything this sent my mind into a self-debate: can you
Anonymous #1
Posted by mistake:

Can you within logic and reason give reasons as to why this kind of behaviour is "wrong"?

If a guy walks up to a girl and gives her a compliment, some get very offended. Do you agree that it is "wrong" to do that, mid not overdone?
Anonymous #1
Also need to clarify:

I posted this with the genuine interest of having a debate/ hearing people's opinions.

It isn't me 'showing off' because I am an anon and so I have separate myself from the situation, arguably.
Capitalist_Lamb
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Depends how it's phrased. If it's a polite compliment such as, you look great today, then I think that's fine. However, if it's more sexual and on a personal level, such as, your ass looks great in them, then I believe that to be a bit much. Saying that though, it is still a compliment but not one I would personally give.
Anonymous #1
Bump
ThirdBack
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I called my cat Barry.
Sammylou40
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
IT depends who it is.
I have never been offended and have always taken it as a compliment.
There are some people who will always be offended by any comment that they feel objectifies them.
I got many compliments from strangers when I was younger.
Now I’m old,by tsr standards, and they’re very rare, I’m disappointed they’ve stopped!!
Anonymous #2
Report 1 week ago
There is a big difference in giving out compliments and catcalling, catcalling = objectifying.
I don’t mind compliments but I don’t want to be turned into a sex object
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

what's your favourite season?

Summer (61)
32.45%
Spring (35)
18.62%
Autumn/Fall (46)
24.47%
Winter (36)
19.15%
I love them all equally (10)
5.32%