The Student Room Group

Astrophysics or Theoretical Physics at uni?

Hi guys,

I’ve just applied for university and have applied for 4 astrophysics courses and one physics (all masters).

I’m not sure if I should have applied for a theoretical physics instead as I really (really) love maths and the more theoretical side of physics ( literally hate practicals ), but my passion in physics is all space related. I’m hoping to do a PhD after my degree and then go into academia/research.

If I wanted to go into research for dark matter / black holes / quantum gravity etc. Which is the better route?

I don’t really have anyone to ask, so any advice would be really helpful. ( I know I have already applied, but most unis allow you to transfer )
If you're dead-set on studying astrophysics and you're sure that space and the study of the universe is definitely what you want to dedicate your time to, then go for it!

Personally, I applied to do straight physics because I'm not sure what it is I want to do after Uni. A physics degree (as I'm sure you know) is a very versatile one and it can lead to a career in finance, research, game design; and I would like to keep my options open.

You on the other hand seem to know what is that fascinates you and I commend you. If that desire to study astrophysics is the thing that gets you up in the morning, if you have that yearning for a greater cosmic understanding then the only bit of advice I can give you is to follow your dreams. Go for it.

And hey, if it goes tits up, you can always change courses (most unis let you do that as long as the courses have similar/the same entry requirements)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending