When, if at all, should a person forfiet his or her human rights? Watch

jaw
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
after reading a ton of news reports, and seeing similar stories on tv, I began to wonder.. One in particular stood out, where a father lost his son to a street fight. He went on to say that 'the murder should be imprissoned in a 5 square foot cell, with no windows, no toilet, no liesure, until he rots away' or something very closely along those lines.

Do you think what has emerged as basic human rights, should ever be forfieted as a result of a crime, or do you think regardless of the offence, a person's rights should be maintained at all cost?
jacketpotato
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
To me, the whole concept of human rights means that they are inalienable. HR are certain rules regarding how human beings need to be treated; forfeiting HR because of something you have done completely goes against the concept.

OFC, with the newspapers attributing everything to the Human Rights Act these days, people throw around the word HR in casual chat without any thought to what the word actually means. People seem to blame the prisoner's 'human rights' whenever someone gets found not guilty, even if HR aren't at all relevant.
Ed.
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Human rights cannot be given up. End of.
Scotsman1988
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Never.
theredwindmill
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
A person should never give up their human rights!
bete noire
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Never.
Kater Murr
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
As long as they're human. So, if you get some weird Even Horizon/Alien kind of setup, I guess they could lose them then.
Bagration
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Never.
Solid_Snake_100
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I would, but only during war time if it was for a greater good and future.
jaw
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
to all who've said that they should never be given up then, would it be safe to assume you're against capital punishment also? Are they one and the same?
Jacinta
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I think a person's human rights should be relinquished if they have taken them away from someone else. For example if someone imprisons an innocent human being, beats them to a pulp, denies them basic nutrition/sanitation etc... why should they be deserving of them?
PeeWeeDan
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Murder, Rape, Terrorist attack, Plotting murder, Engaging in genocide.

Humans don't do these things: monsters do. So why should they have human rights?
ForeverIsMyName
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by PeeWeeDan)
Murder, Rape, Terrorist attack, Plotting murder, Engaging in genocide.

Humans don't do these things: monsters do. So why should they have human rights?
:rolleyes:

OP - They should be given up when they die.
ConservativeNucleophile
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Without due process of law - never.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (503)
37.65%
No - but I will (103)
7.71%
No - I don't want to (92)
6.89%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (638)
47.75%

Watched Threads