The Student Room Group

Primary Education Interview to start in 2020

I have an upcoming interview and I'm looking for any tips or advice from somebody who has been through the process recently, especially in regards to finding out about up to date educational issues using TES etc Thankyou!
Original post by Jem90
I have an upcoming interview and I'm looking for any tips or advice from somebody who has been through the process recently, especially in regards to finding out about up to date educational issues using TES etc Thankyou!

Hiya. Have a read through the Teachers' Standards. These are the basic standards all teachers are required to meet by law. Having an awareness off them will stand in your favour as you'll have to constantly provide evidence that you're meeting the TS throughout your teaching course. Have a look through the 'news' section of TES. Anything that pops up multiple times is good fodder for your interview. With the election coming up, school funding is a good choice. Other hot topics are mindfulness and the recruitment/ retainment crisis. Do lots of reading and make sure you can summarise at least one key issue and that you have enough knowledge to discuss it with your interviewer. Other than that, just prepare answers for the obvious questions, e.g. Why do you want to be a teacher? What qualities could you bring to teaching? Why is primary education important to you? Do you have an idea of the age group you might like to teach? What do you think classes as effective pedagogy?

Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 2
Thank you Ratatatat. That's all really helpful. I'm I'm the middle of preparing and I don't know anybody else that's going for the Primary Ed course so I really appreciate your response!
Original post by Jem90
Thank you Ratatatat. That's all really helpful. I'm I'm the middle of preparing and I don't know anybody else that's going for the Primary Ed course so I really appreciate your response!

You're welcome. I'm in the final year of my BA Ed, I remember how nervous I was for my interview. Just get that preparation in and you'll smash it! Good luck :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by ratatatat
You're welcome. I'm in the final year of my BA Ed, I remember how nervous I was for my interview. Just get that preparation in and you'll smash it! Good luck :smile:

I had my interview today and I think it went well. More relaxed than I expected which put me at ease. I took my notes and did some last min prep whilst I waited to go in. Fingers crossed!
I have an interview next week and I was just wondering if anyone knew what the whole day will involve? I haven't been told anything - are they just individual interviews or are there group tasks and presentations?
Reply 6
Original post by sundayblues
I have an interview next week and I was just wondering if anyone knew what the whole day will involve? I haven't been told anything - are they just individual interviews or are there group tasks and presentations?

How did it go? My interview involved a group task and an individual interview. I also had a short Maths and English test to complete.
Reply 7
Hi I’m applying for uni for 2021 and i have My primary education interviews next week any tips/ideas of what may come up. Some haven’t given details as to what will happens just yet any ideas
Reply 8
Original post by Skd20ls
Hi I’m applying for uni for 2021 and i have My primary education interviews next week any tips/ideas of what may come up. Some haven’t given details as to what will happens just yet any ide

Hey! Time has flown I cannot believe I posted this a year ago!
I assume with Covid it will be a different process. My interview included a short math quiz followed by a short english quiz. The questions were no higher than KS2, super easy. We then had a group interview where we had to discuss a topic given to us and organise a list of things important within school such as independent work etc Finally we had a 1 to 1 interview which included scenario type questions. If you've prepared you will be absolutely fine. Hope this helps! I remember feeling nervous but you have nothing to worry about!

Quick Reply