Accused of plagiarism, any advice please! I didn’t plagiarise. Watch

PhoenixFortune
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I found her quite rude, yes I’m going to appeal. Don’t need to be so condescending, I will think twice before posting here for advice.
I was just clarifying that not using quotation marks for quotes = plagiarism, and that appealing on the grounds of ignorance of essay conventions isn't necessarily going to be successful. Quotation marks aren't just used in academic works, so it will be harder to argue that you didn't know to use them.
Mr Wednesday
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I found her quite rude, yes I’m going to appeal. Don’t need to be so condescending, I will think twice before posting here for advice.
So here is the thing. Quite a few of the people who post the really useful stuff here are actually professional academics who do this stuff for a living and tell it like it is. Students do need to hear that kind of message occasionally .

Pretty much any guide on plagiarism will tell you to clearly identify quoted text and highlight that just referencing afterwards is insufficient. That identification can be "quotation marks, putting the text in italics or both". That's exactly what the guide our students get for their very first piece of written work states, and it gets restated in later years just to make sure the message sinks in. If your uni did not set this out very clearly in year 1 then that's remiss on their part, but for a 3rd year should be automatic by now.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by PhoenixFortune)
I was just clarifying that not using quotation marks for quotes = plagiarism, and that appealing on the grounds of ignorance of essay conventions isn't necessarily going to be successful. Quotation marks aren't just used in academic works, so it will be harder to argue that you didn't know to use them.
It’s not on their website at all. I have screenshots of it. That’s why I’m baffled and confused by this.

I’ve put in an appeal and sent the relevant evidence of screenshots.

If they want quotations, that’s fine, they should update their website.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Mr Wednesday)
So here is the thing. Quite a few of the people who post the really useful stuff here are actually professional academics who do this stuff for a living and tell it like it is. Students do need to hear that kind of message occasionally .

Pretty much any guide on plagiarism will tell you to clearly identify quoted text and highlight that just referencing afterwards is insufficient. That identification can be "quotation marks, putting the text in italics or both". That's exactly what the guide our students get for their very first piece of written work states, and it gets restated in later years just to make sure the message sinks in. If your uni did not set this out very clearly in year 1 then that's remiss on their part, but for a 3rd year should be automatic by now.
That’s fine, my issue isn’t the quotations per day but it’s not clear information. I have screenshots of the website showing no quotations in the examples, that’s why I’m so confused and baffled by this.

I’ve put in an appeal and sent the screenshots over.

They need to update their website and state when and where quotations are necessary.
Anonymous #1

Another issue is I’ve stated name, year and even page number on these references.

I didn’t claim this work to be mine.

I just missed out quotations as it didn’t state on the website to use.

Just very frustrated!!
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago

Bang on. As per.
Anonymous #1
I’ve appealed the decision of ACO. She said I’m guilty for not including quotations mark, okay. But I will be marked on academic merit as this is minor.

My lecturer has capped my coursework and only marked me, 40%.

Due to the ACO suggesting guilty as minor. I should be marked on academic merit.

He even wrote “Whilst the rubric suggests a higher grade, the grade given reflects the (guilty) academic merit of the work”.

Which proves I should get a higher grade, but he’s marked me harshly based on the “guilty” offence.. Even though I should be marked on academic merit?

I’m so upset over this and now can’t sleep.

I’ve also put it a complaint about his marking as it doesn’t correlate or flow.

He also said viva voice interview to be considered even though I went to see him 3 time’s and have 6 email drafts.

I’m happy to do viva voice, but my Mum is angry and annoyed by his comments and said refuse to do it.

I’m also worried about how he will mark my exam now, I can’t even revise due to all this stress and worry.

I suppose the lowest grade does get dropped..

Now time to go cry myself to sleep.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I’ve appealed the decision of ACO. She said I’m guilty for not including quotations mark, okay. But I will be marked on academic merit as this is minor.

My lecturer has capped my coursework and only marked me, 40%.

Due to the ACO suggesting guilty as minor. I should be marked on academic merit.

He even wrote “Whilst the rubric suggests a higher grade, the grade given reflects the (guilty) academic merit of the work”.

Which proves I should get a higher grade, but he’s marked me harshly based on the “guilty” offence.. Even though I should be marked on academic merit?

I’m so upset over this and now can’t sleep.

I’ve also put it a complaint about his marking as it doesn’t correlate or flow.

He also said viva voice interview to be considered even though I went to see him 3 time’s and have 6 email drafts.

I’m happy to do viva voice, but my Mum is angry and annoyed by his comments and said refuse to do it.

I’m also worried about how he will mark my exam now, I can’t even revise due to all this stress and worry.

I suppose the lowest grade does get dropped..

Now time to go cry myself to sleep.
Have you spoken to your student union about this?

While it does sound like you have plagiarised it also sounds like you have been getting inconsistent and contradictory advice which shouldn’t happen. If the meeting didn’t specify that your mark should be capped then your mark shouldn’t be capped.

Your student union exists to help students navigate the rules and regulations of the university (the cheap beer is an add on not their main purpose). Talk to them and get support.

Remember that you’re at university to learn. That includes learning to deal with stressful situations and people who aren’t as helpful as they should be. I know it’s not an enjoyable time right now but you’ll come out of this a better student and a stronger and more resilient person.
Last edited by PQ; 3 weeks ago
Anonymous #1
(Original post by PQ)
Have you spoken to your student union about this?

While it does sound like you have plagiarised it also sounds like you have been getting inconsistent and contradictory advice which shouldn’t happen. If the meeting didn’t specify that your mark should be capped then your mark shouldn’t be capped.

Your student union exists to help students navigate the rules and regulations of the university (the cheap beer is an add on not their main purpose). Talk to them and get support.

Remember that you’re at university to learn. That includes learning to deal with stressful situations and people who aren’t as helpful as they should be. I know it’s not an enjoyable time right now but you’ll come out of this a better student and a stronger and more resilient person.
Thank you.

I’ve emailed them both.

I don’t understand how he can write I’ve met the rubric and give me lower grade, when ACO said it’s minor and I’ve only missed out on quotation marks as everything is properly referenced with name, year and even page numbers.

I’ve forwarded the screenshots of what he wrote. I don’t think he’s marked fairly, it comes across biased. If I genuinely deserve bad grade okay fine, I will accept that.

But ACO said I should be marked on academic merit which he hasn’t done by capping me to 40%. And stating my coursework meets the rubric and I deserve higher grade?

I feel like he dug himself a hole by writing that.

I also don’t want him marking my stuff in future. I’m going to request for someone else unbiased to mark my exam.
Anonymous #1
Right..

I’m waiting for response on my complaint and email.

I sent relevant screenshots of the referencing guide on locate library website.

I also have proof of my mark not to be capped, which is on my outcome letter and I was advised this is minor and my coursework will be marked on academic merit.

Problem solved.

However, the lecturer has capped my work and consulted other people.. Including another ACO who suggested my mark should be capped to basic pass.

Surely this is wrong as he hasn’t followed correct procedure given by original ACO?

I’m also annoyed at how he’s handing my work out like that and showing it to people.

So frustrating.
Anonymous #1
He’s pretty much given me a academic penalty even though the meeting said my work would be marked normally and returned to me. No penalty would be added as it’s minor.
Anonymous #1
He’s pretty much given me a academic penalty even though the meeting said my work would be marked normally and returned to me. No penalty would be added as it’s minor. The coursework should have been marked on my academic merit.
Anonymous #1
The Academic Conduct Officer has determined that the confirmed academic penalty is none. You will be marked on academic merit.

This is what it says on my letter.
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
He’s pretty much given me a academic penalty even though the meeting said my work would be marked normally and returned to me. No penalty would be added as it’s minor. The coursework should have been marked on my academic merit.
Does it say anywhere explicitly that he has capped your work? Could it be that you simply got the (uncapped) mark you earned, which happened to be a 40?
S123M234
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Turnitin will tell you that it is plagiarised because of the references. Some references are in more than one book so it will pick up on it. If everything is referenced and there's a bibliography you'll be fine
grKiro
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Been there done that; Did you Paraphrased? Or just copy paste?
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
The Academic Conduct Officer has determined that the confirmed academic penalty is none. You will be marked on academic merit.

This is what it says on my letter.
I think that's clear then, if the ACO has made a decision on your case.

As PhoenixFortune says, are you sure the work hasn't been awarded an uncapped 40?
Last edited by Reality Check; 3 weeks ago
Anonymous #1
(Original post by PhoenixFortune)
Does it say anywhere explicitly that he has capped your work? Could it be that you simply got the (uncapped) mark you earned, which happened to be a 40?
Yes.

He wrote this on my feedback,” Whilst the rubric suggests a higher grade, the grade given reflects the (guilty) academic merit of the work”.

Unless I’ve misinterpreted, I should have received higher grade but he’s given me lower based on the outcome of the ACO case which is guilty?

I was told my work wouldn’t be penalised and it would be marked normally.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Reality Check)
I think that's clear then, if the ACO has made a decision on your case.

As PhoenixFortune says, are you sure the work hasn't been awarded an uncapped 40?
Yes.

He wrote this on my feedback,” Whilst the rubric suggests a higher grade, the grade given reflects the (guilty) academic merit of the work”.

Unless I’ve misinterpreted, I should have received higher grade but he’s given me lower based on the outcome of the ACO case which is guilty?

Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Yes.

I think you need to ask him to clarify this comment. I can't really work out what he's trying to say here and I agree it's confusing.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 18 Dec '19
  • The University of Law
    Open Day – GDL and LPC - Chester campus Postgraduate
    Sat, 4 Jan '20
  • University of East Anglia
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 6 Jan '20

Did you vote in the 2019 general election?

Yes (338)
46.17%
No (78)
10.66%
I'm not old enough (316)
43.17%

Watched Threads