Accused of plagiarism, any advice please! I didn’t plagiarise. Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Apparently my work has been marked on academic merit.

But I wasn’t made aware that the “plagiarised” content wouldn’t be taken into consideration of the mark.
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Apparently my work has been marked on academic merit.

But I wasn’t made aware that the “plagiarised” content wouldn’t be taken into consideration of the mark.
Make a formal complaint now then, if you genuinely believe it's worth it.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by PhoenixFortune)
I think I’m going too.

The correct procedure hasn’t been followed. I’ve been given misguided information.

This is the email I received:
“I have spoken with the Academic Officer that handled your case, and I believe I understand where the confusion has come from.

The use of the word “Academic Merit” is not a particularly descriptive phrase, and so when you were told by the Academic Officer that your work would be marked on “Academic Merit” this did not give you any context to what is considered academic merit.

The feedback received, whilst trying to be helpful has unfortunately caused some misunderstanding.

It is clear that your work has been marked on “Academic Merit” – Stephen has made it quite clear that other members of staff have been consulted to ensure your submission was marked fairly and accurately. This mark will not change whilst the ACO outcome is considered to be Minor.

Academic merit may not take into account any “Copy and pasted” sections (the areas which were not reference correctly) or apply penalties for poor academic practice, which have resulted in your low score.

If you want to understand why you received a mark of 40% I would advise you arrange to meet with a member of the Module team to go through your work with you, so you can understand why you received this mark.”

I know why I have been given 40% because he’s capped it which he’s written on the feedback? Doesn’t this count as a academic penalty?

ACO didn’t tell me that the “plagiarised content” wouldn’t been taken into consideration.

From my understanding, when I was told I would I’ll receive no academic penalty and marked on academic merit. I thought it would be marked normally, that’s how the ACO Officer made it sound.

The meeting was very quick and finished abruptly, with no explanation of what these terms meant.
Anonymous #1
Do you think I’m right or am I wrong?

Is it worth making a complaint and trying to take this further?

I genuinely believe that I am right because in terms of what I was told, she said there would be no academic penalty and I would be marked on academic merit. Then, the meeting ended.

When she said that, I thought I would be marked normally? That’s why I don’t understand why I have been capped to 40%.

I think I’ve been given misguided information and the correct procedure hasn’t been followed.
lizzyuk
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I think I’m going too.

The correct procedure hasn’t been followed. I’ve been given misguided information.

“I have spoken with the Academic Officer that handled your case, and I believe I understand where the confusion has come from.

The use of the word “Academic Merit” is not a particularly descriptive phrase, and so when you were told by the Academic Officer that your work would be marked on “Academic Merit” this did not give you any context to what is considered academic merit.

The feedback received, whilst trying to be helpful has unfortunately caused some misunderstanding.

It is clear that your work has been marked on “Academic Merit” – Stephen has made it quite clear that other members of staff have been consulted to ensure your submission was marked fairly and accurately. This mark will not change whilst the ACO outcome is considered to be Minor.

Academic merit may not take into account any “Copy and pasted” sections (the areas which were not reference correctly) or apply penalties for poor academic practice, which have resulted in your low score.

If you want to understand why you received a mark of 40% I would advise you arrange to meet with a member of the Module team to go through your work with you, so you can understand why you received this mark.”

I know why I have been given 40% because he’s capped it which he’s written on the feedback? Doesn’t this count as a academic penalty?

ACO didn’t tell me that the “plagiarised content” wouldn’t been taken into consideration.

From my understanding, when I was told I would I’ll receive no academic penalty and marked on academic merit. I thought it would be marked normally, that’s how the ACO Officer made it sound.

The meeting was very quick and finished abruptly, with no explanation of what these terms meant.
I believe what they are trying to say is that they are not marking the plagiarised work but only the work not plagiarised. Basically, any work that has been flagged as plagiarised will be ignored and not marked, but the work that wasn't plagiarised (your own work) will be marked, hence, why you got the bare pass.
PhoenixFortune
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I think I’m going too.

Okay, so this is what I can gather from the email you've posted: you received 40% not because you were capped at it, but because the marker was forced to ignore (and therefore not mark) any portion that was labelled as being incorrectly referenced (i.e. part of the minor academic infraction). A marker cannot give you credit for something that has been considered as plagiarised. That's it.

Given that your marker consulted with multiple people about this, I think you need to accept that his decision was appropriately justified. One poorly worded comment in your feedback doesn't negate the whole process of marking.

As the email suggests, I think you need to arrange a meeting with the marker and ask for specific feedback to help you understand the outcome. I don't think an appeal or complaint is worth your time and effort at this point.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by lizzyuk)
I believe what they are trying to say is that they are not marking the plagiarised work but only the work not plagiarised. Basically, any work that has been flagged as plagiarised will be ignored and not marked, but the work that wasn't plagiarised (your own work) will be marked, hence, why you got the bare pass.
Okay. Thanks! I wasn’t made aware of this during the meeting.
Anonymous #1
Okay, so this is what I can gather from the email you've posted: you received 40% not because you were capped at it, but because the marker was forced to ignore (and therefore not mark) any portion that was labelled as being incorrectly referenced (i.e. part of the minor academic infraction). A marker cannot give you credit for something that has been considered as plagiarised. That's it.

Given that your marker consulted with multiple people about this, I think you need to accept that his decision was appropriately justified. One poorly worded comment in your feedback doesn't negate the whole process of marking.

As the email suggests, I think you need to arrange a meeting with the marker and ask for specific feedback to help you understand the outcome. I don't think an appeal or complaint is worth your time and effort at this point.
Okay. It’s just even when he updated the feedback, the comments he made weren’t very clear.

The ACO didn’t tell me that the plagiarised work wouldn’t be marked, she just said there would be no penalty and marked on academic merit. She wasn’t very clear either.

There’s no point anymore.

I think I’m going to leave this module and focus on my other modules.

I still don’t think I’ve been treated fairly. But not much I can do.
PhoenixFortune
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Okay. It’s just even when he updated the feedback, the comments he made weren’t very clear.

The ACO didn’t tell me that the plagiarised work wouldn’t be marked, she just said there would be no penalty and marked on academic merit. She wasn’t very clear either.

Yes, moving on is the best thing to do. Even though it's little consolation, at least you actually passed the assignment.

I think unclear feedback doesn't necessarily mean you were treated unfairly, but there's little point in dwelling on it now.
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago

Yes, definitely the best thing to do is to move on now.
Anonymous #1
Yes, moving on is the best thing to do. Even though it's little consolation, at least you actually passed the assignment.

I think unclear feedback doesn't necessarily mean you were treated unfairly, but there's little point in dwelling on it now.
No I men I think the meeting, they didn’t make things clear or clarify what was going to happens. Misleading. I still don’t think correct procedure has been followed.

Even if he spoke to other people regarding grades, they’re naturally going to agree and take each other sides because they’re academic. They don’t care about me or the fact my classification could be ruined. I wonder how they sleep at night.
PhoenixFortune
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
No I men I think the meeting, they didn’t make things clear or clarify what was going to happens. Misleading. I still don’t think correct procedure has been followed.

Even if he spoke to other people regarding grades, they’re naturally going to agree and take each other sides because they’re academic. They don’t care about me or the fact my classification could be ruined. I wonder how they sleep at night.
As I say, being bitter about it won't help. At this point I doubt you'll be able to look at this situation objectively. The only thing you can do now is move on and try even harder on your future assignments (and presumably your dissertation). Good luck.
Anonymous #1
As I say, being bitter about it won't help. At this point I doubt you'll be able to look at this situation objectively. The only thing you can do now is move on and try even harder on your future assignments (and presumably your dissertation). Good luck.
Thank you!
Anonymous #1
Hello, I didn’t email anyone last night.

But I received a response from faculty register and he confirmed I did receive a penalty.

So, now I’m really confused.. Because on the one hand my outcome letter states no academic penalty and marked on academic merit.

Before he said it was marked on academic merit like the email I showed you yesterday. But, today I received a email confirming I’ve received a penalty.

I’m super confused??? Like I don’t know what to make of this.
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago

But I received a response from faculty register and he confirmed I did receive a penalty.

So, now I’m really confused.. Because on the one hand my outcome letter states no academic penalty and marked on academic merit.

Before he said it was marked on academic merit like the email I showed you yesterday. But, today I received a email confirming I’ve received a penalty.

It's best to just put this matter to one side now, and concentrate on the rest of your work.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Reality Check)
It's best to just put this matter to one side now, and concentrate on the rest of your work.
Thanks, I’ve done everything else.. Just focusing on revision.
PhoenixFortune
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago

I think in this case the penalty refers to the plagiarised portions that weren't marked. I don't think it's any deeper than that.

As Reality Check says, you need to let this go now for the sake of your other modules/assignments.
Anonymous #1
I think in this case the penalty refers to the plagiarised portions that weren't marked. I don't think it's any deeper than that.

As Reality Check says, you need to let this go now for the sake of your other modules/assignments.
I’ve already finished my other assignments. I have 1 exam which I’m revising daily for.

I break up on 9th December.. So I haven’t got much left to do except revise for 1 exam.

I return on 20th January.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 18 Dec '19
  • The University of Law
    Open Day – GDL and LPC - Chester campus Postgraduate
    Sat, 4 Jan '20
  • University of East Anglia
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 6 Jan '20

Did you vote in the 2019 general election?

Yes (278)
48.18%
No (65)
11.27%
I'm not old enough (234)
40.55%

Watched Threads