Should I be taking a fourth A Level to study aerospace at Oxbridge/Imperial level? Watch

anonStudent15
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
I plan to study Maths, Further Maths, and Physics at A Level with the aim of studying engineering (aerospace) at Cambridge/Imperial or something of a similar caliber. I am currently predicted all 9s at GCSE level and, if it's worth taking a fourth A Level? which one should I take? I'm currently of the mind that my three real choices are, ranging from most humanistic to most STEM, English Geography or Chemistry. I'm very keen to know your thoughts. Will the advantage of a fourth A Level in the uni application process justify the extra workload?
Last edited by anonStudent15; 5 days ago
Dancer2001
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
They will almost definitely give you an offer based on three of your A levels, so oxbridge applicants are usually encouraged to just take three. I would only take four if you think you can get A*s in them all.
For some subjects, further maths is only accepted as a fourth a level. I’m sure this doesn’t apply to engineering, but it might be a good idea to check the websites of the unis you’re applying to, and possibly email to check.
Deggs_14
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Not really, the a levels you do now are perfect for the degree courses you’re interested in. If you want to do a fourth chemistry or computer science would be the most relevant, it might be useful to have some skills in coding as you’ll be using lots of digital technologies and models when doing engineering. But perhaps an EPQ if your school offers it is more useful and applicable. But university offers are only made on three levels, so there is no need for four.
anonStudent15
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
(Original post by Deggs_14)
Not really, the a levels you do now are perfect for the degree courses you’re interested in. If you want to do a fourth chemistry or computer science would be the most relevant, it might be useful to have some skills in coding as you’ll be using lots of digital technologies and models when doing engineering. But perhaps an EPQ if your school offers it is more useful and applicable. But university offers are only made on three levels, so there is no need for four.
Would four A* a levels give me an advantage over someone with three A* a levels? Also wondering if oxbridge value a contrasting subject, like geography, for engineering, as I think the case is for medicine? sorry for all the questions, I'm just feeling out of my depth with decisions...
Deggs_14
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by anonStudent15)
Would four A* a levels give me an advantage over someone with three A* a levels? Also wondering if oxbridge value a contrasting subject, like geography, for engineering, as I think the case is for medicine? sorry for all the questions, I'm just feeling out of my depth with decisions...
Wouldn’t really think so, doing something like an EPQ is a great way to focus your application to aspects of the course and show your interests. I do geography a level and it’s definitely not a peripheral option, it’s a lot of independent reading, coursework and revising content. Focus on your maths and physics, and use the time that you would no another half an a level to focus on academic extra curricular activities. The Cambridge masterclass for Engineering is tomorrow so it would be very spontaneous if you went, but attending events like this is important. I’m not sure if work experience is important for engineering though.
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by anonStudent15)
I plan to study Maths, Further Maths, and Physics at A Level with the aim of studying engineering (aerospace) at Cambridge/Imperial or something of a similar caliber. I am currently predicted all 9s at GCSE level and, if it's worth taking a fourth A Level? which one should I take? I'm currently of the mind that my three real choices are, ranging from most humanistic to most STEM, English Geography or Chemistry. I'm very keen to know your thoughts. Will the advantage of a fourth A Level in the uni application process justify the extra workload?
Why don’t you attend Open Days at Oxford and Imperial in the summer - Year 11s can attend- in order to get advice directly from the Unis. My feeling is that those 3 A levels would be absolutely fine but it wouldn’t hurt to check as they are such competitive Unis. Another thing you can do is email their Admissions or Oxford has an applications thread on TSR where BrasenoseAdm gives great advice to potential applicants
BrasenoseAdm
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by harrysbar)
Why don’t you attend Open Days at Oxford and Imperial in the summer - Year 11s can attend- in order to get advice directly from the Unis. My feeling is that those 3 A levels would be absolutely fine but it wouldn’t hurt to check as they are such competitive Unis. Another thing you can do is email their Admissions or Oxford has an applications thread on TSR where BrasenoseAdm gives great advice to potential applicants
There would not be application credit for a 4th A level but you may see other advantages to taking an additional subject.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bishop Grosseteste University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 15 Nov '19
  • University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Nov '19
  • University of Roehampton
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Nov '19

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (113)
64.94%
No (61)
35.06%

Watched Threads