What was your first ever driving lesson like? Watch

raef
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
i'm really nervous about my first driving lesson, i have no experience of driving a car and i wanted to know what was your first ever driving lesson like? How did you feel? Were you nervous? Was your driving instructor good?
Jackathon
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Scary but funny.
'ITS A BUS.' *Closes eyes*
'Stay calm...'

What good times. Yeaaaaah my instructor was cool, eased me into it and made sure I was comfortable with the speed and stufff. I felt physically sick the night before though.
Spotty Dog
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
My first lesson was in a disused warehouse car park. :P
raef
(Original post by Jackathon)
Scary but funny.
'ITS A BUS.' *Closes eyes*
'Stay calm...'

What good times. Yeaaaaah my instructor was cool, eased me into it and made sure I was comfortable with the speed and stufff. I felt physically sick the night before though.

(Original post by somethingbeautiful)
Mine was all about the basics - mostly talking & clutch control, nothing over 10mph and it was in a quiet residential area. It was really good - I was a bit nervous but it was fine once I got going!

how much were your lessons?
Jackathon
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by raef)
how much were your lessons?
Mine were 22 an hour. Different instructor now and its 26.50!
raef
(Original post by somethingbeautiful)
I'm with BSM and have 2hour lessons at a student rate of 23quid
is that for two hours or one hour?
Spotty Dog
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Never learn with your mother as a driving instructor.

3 years down the line, I'm still scared to get behind the wheel with her, because she crit's my driving. :p:
Ed.
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
It was ok, we drove around in circles for an hour.
Spotty Dog
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Phantom Phoenix)
She used to shriek and cling onto the seat every time I got above 30mph; it was rather amusing!
My mum's fully trained and runs her own riving school, so she's used to reckless learners. xD

I remember my second lesson though, we were just doing left hand turns around an estate, and all of a sudden there was a squirrel in the middle of the road, so I swerved to avoid it (not noticing the wall!)

Mother: WALL!
Me: SQUIRREL!
Mother: WALLLL!!!!
Me: ARGGGHHHHH

... She drove home that day.

The only real advantages were that I got free lessons, and I could grab time whenever I wanted (ie, half an hour here, 3/4 of an hour there, drive to the shops etc), which meant I learnt really quick.
raef
how long was your first lesson?
pritnep
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Well I first did 10 or so hours with my Dad so I had the basics down part before I went to my instructor.

He went through all the basics then let me drive, was surprised/pleased at how well I could drive/handle the car quickly. Drove around quiet residental streets. Lesson went for 1 hour.

I remember being told off for just having one hand on the wheel a few times (for literally 1 or 2 seconds), oops - didn't do that again.
beccaarr
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Mine was ace, we went along some country roads. He had be reversing around a corner after half an hour!
Sports Racer
Badges: 14
Report 10 years ago
Mine was AWESOME.

My instructor was like yoyoyo so you have the clutch and engine and they're spinning mad fast and when they're just touching, that's the biting point. Now, you know what happens if you let go of the pedal too fast? [claps his hands right in front of my face]. YOU SEE THAT? YOU BLINKED. WHEN YOU STALL, THE CAR BLINKS. DON'T. MAKE. THE. CAR. BLINK.

Timeless advice.
emilina
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
i just drove up and down this deserted lane for most of the lesson, then drove 8 miles home good times.

but im with angry bob . . .. there is a reason he has that nickname :hmpf:
georgia
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
She took me out onto one of the wide long straight back lanes and talked me through the basics and then got me to do exactly what she did. The car jumped forward and I squeaked.

In hindsight she wasn't the best instructor in the world. I love my current one though!
Bavarian Motor Works
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Guy took me driving around Warwickshire, went on dual carriageways, a and b roads. Thats it really.
Scorpio2211
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
My first lesson was very funny i went round a residential estate, near a primary school, kids stepping out in front of you so not cool!!
Later same day ended up having turning in the road went up a dead end. Quite fun altogether. God that was only 6 months ago!
And now a month after passing i still can't sit in a car with my mum, worse passengers they are!
The Stig
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I have my first lesson tomorrow!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (179)
39.34%
No - but I will (25)
5.49%
No - I don't want to (32)
7.03%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (219)
48.13%

Watched Threads