Is this actually illegal? Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I've just turned 17 this week and my girl is still 15, she's not 16 until March, she was talking to her friend about her being sexually active with me (which has been going on for months) but her friend has scared us both by saying that it's illegal now that i'm over 16 and she's not. Is this true?
Sammylou40
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I've just turned 17 this week and my girl is still 15, she's not 16 until March, she was talking to her friend about her being sexually active with me (which has been going on for months) but her friend has scared us both by saying that it's illegal now that i'm over 16 and she's not. Is this true?
Have a read of this
http://www.fpa.org.uk/factsheets/law-on-sex

Strictly speaking it is an offence. I couldn’t speculate on wether you would be prosecuted or not.
How do her parents feel about it?
Last edited by Sammylou40; 1 week ago
Bobcheese90
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Technically yes, but the circumstances might affect whether or not you would be charged, like if you both consented whilst both underage, and given the closeness in age, but really it is illegal and you probably shouldn't for your own safety,
ANM775
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
it's technically illegal however because you're so close in ages and there's no abuse/exploitation/drugging involved [im assuming] the police and the CPS will turn a blind eye to it

the AOC was designed to criminalise adults for having sex with children not two people close in age
MidgetFever
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Yes.
She's not of age to consent yet, but the likelihood of you being charged is probably pretty minimal.
Acsel
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
From a purely factual standpoint, the age of consent (i.e. the age at which you can have legal sex) is 16. The idea here is that someone under 16 cannot legally consent to sex, however the goal is more to prevent children from being exploited rather than to try and "throw a bunch of 15 year olds in jail". Many sources indicate that prosocution of sexually active under 16s is not the primary goal.

When one party has reached the age of consent but the other has not (i.e. your situation) it does become a little more of a grey area. You start to get into "one person is a child and the other is not" territory, however this tends to be more of an issue for an over 18 with an under 16 where there's a more clear abuse of power. There's a little over a year between you and I'm guessing you were a year apart in school. The law is unlikely to judge you in the same way as they would if that age difference were 2 or 3 years instead. Don't panic, you did not suddenly become a pedophile because you were a year apart at school and naturally you're still older.

The friend is wrong here in saying it became illegal because of the age difference. It was technically always illegal, since at least one of you was not of consenting age, and while the age difference make it a bit more murky, nothing actually changed about your relationship. The law is typicaly lenient when it comes to similar but underage couples and this is likely to extend to your current situation should it ever become a legal problem (which it ultimately should not). Providing you are both consenting and having safe sex there isn't really a problem. Of course if you are concerned, wait a few months for your partner to turn 16.

I'll note that none of this is official legal advice on the matter. It's based purely on readily available Google information. My personal experience working with the police also says they've got more important cases of a sexual nature to be dealing with.
Last edited by Acsel; 1 week ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (215)
19.33%
Labour (475)
42.72%
Liberal Democrats (212)
19.06%
Green Party (57)
5.13%
Brexit Party (30)
2.7%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (4)
0.36%
SNP (16)
1.44%
Plaid Cymru (10)
0.9%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (1)
0.09%
Sinn Fein (2)
0.18%
SDLP (1)
0.09%
Ulster Unionist (3)