User12345678876
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
I’ve recently started Year 12 and I’m doing economics at a level. I’m wondering if anyone has any advice on any further reading I can do to help me with my a levels and any further study of the subject (I’m currently interested in studying the subject at uni)
Thanks for any suggestions!
funfunfun111
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
I read a really good book called Branson: Behind the Mask by Tom Bower and I found it so interesting!
User12345678876
Rep:
?
(Original post by funfunfun111)
I read a really good book called Branson: Behind the Mask by Tom Bower and I found it so interesting!
Thanks I’ll check it out
WinterKuma
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Hi, I'm currently studying econ at uni.

What I wish I had done during A Levels was to keep up with current affairs, keep up with the tutor2u blog, and read the Financial Times and the Economist regularly. I believe there's a section in the FT specifically for A Level econ where they have an article for each topic and follow-up questions; make summaries of articles which you can use as application in essays and of course, the exams. If you're applying for econ at Oxbridge then do keep up with the news and reports from World Bank, IMF, World Economic Forum, Bank of England, etc which you can use to practice analysis and evaluation. Honestly, I've never finished reading any econ book lol, but Undercover Economist, Doughnut Economics and Freakonomics seem to be popular choices if you don't have any prior knowledge of economics. It would help to read a selection of books of different topics, e.g. development econ, environmental econ, monetary econ, financial econ, world economy (you don't have to finish them), find a few topics that really interest you and research them in depth. Then you can have a really good idea of what to write in your personal statement and have an interesting story to talk about should you be invited to an interview.

Feel free to PM me with questions
User12345678876
Rep:
?
Thanks for all taking our time for this fantastic advice, Where can I find the FT section for a-level students? I’ve tried looking around for it but I can’t seem to find it.
Thanks
WinterKuma
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by User12345678876)
Thanks for all taking our time for this fantastic advice, Where can I find the FT section for a-level students? I’ve tried looking around for it but I can’t seem to find it.
Thanks
Under Economics Class: teaching ideas

https://www.ft.com/content/826a890e-...2-e46f43c5825d
User12345678876
Rep:
?
(Original post by WinterKuma)
Under Economics Class: teaching ideas

https://www.ft.com/content/826a890e-...2-e46f43c5825d
that’s a lot of articles on there. Thanks again
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Nov '19
  • University of Roehampton
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Nov '19
  • Swansea University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Nov '19

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (54)
18.31%
Labour (117)
39.66%
Liberal Democrats (61)
20.68%
Green Party (22)
7.46%
Brexit Party (8)
2.71%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (0)
0%
SNP (4)
1.36%
Plaid Cymru (5)
1.69%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (0)
0%
SDLP (0)
0%
Ulster Unionist (0)