Leah.J
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
" Other transport proteins, called carrier proteins, hold onto their passengers and change shape in a way that shuttles them across the membrane "

What do they mean passengers and shuttle here ?
Lucario_Moon
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Leah.J)
" Other transport proteins, called carrier proteins, hold onto their passengers and change shape in a way that shuttles them across the membrane "

What do they mean passengers and shuttle here ?
"Passengers" are essentially the molecules that are being transported, as these are generally used for facilitated diffusion/active transport its usually ions or large molecules but can pretty much be any biological molecule.

By "shuttles" it just means transports them from one side of the membrane to the other. I'm not sure what level you're studying this at but you'll likely not need to know more than this.

Hope this helped!
Leah.J
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Lucario_Moon)
"Passengers" are essentially the molecules that are being transported, as these are generally used for facilitated diffusion/active transport its usually ions or large molecules but can pretty much be any biological molecule.

By "shuttles" it just means transports them from one side of the membrane to the other. I'm not sure what level you're studying this at but you'll likely not need to know more than this.

Hope this helped!
Thank youu. One more thing, Is the only difference between facilitated diffusion and simple diffusion that facilitated diffusion occurs through proteins ? Would water passing through aqua porin be an example of facilitated diffusion ?
Lucario_Moon
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Leah.J)
Thank youu. One more thing, Is the only difference between facilitated diffusion and simple diffusion that facilitated diffusion occurs through proteins ? Would water passing through aqua porin be an example of facilitated diffusion ?
Yep pretty much, it's essentially a way of transporting molecules across the membrane down their conc gradient that usually wouldn't be able to pass through the bilayer, hence the use of proteins. I'm not 100% sure but I would say that aqua porin is an example of facilitated diffusion, as water is polar so wouldn't be able to pass through the membrane by itself.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Wed, 11 Dec '19
  • University of Lincoln
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 11 Dec '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 11 Dec '19

Do you work while at uni?