Jhill98_
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
Hi Everyone,

This is a general forum for anyone and everyone applying to dentistry and graduate entry dentistry for entry in September 2021!

feel free to leave questions and comments. Hopefully the collective info will help at least one of you out

GOOD LUCK!
Alvx_
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
How much work experience has everyone got? I’ve only done one week at a Dental practise so far
LMMT
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
No work experience yet but have arranged 2 weeks at dental practices (2 diff practices 1 week at each). I also volunteer at a hospital. What are everyones stats Gcse, what alevel subjects, predicted grades?
Oluwadamilooolaa
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Alvx_)
How much work experience has everyone got? I’ve only done one week at a Dental practise so far
I’m in year 13 and a Dentistry applicant and I’ve been given an interview for 3/4 of the Universities I applied to regarding Dentistry (Including KCL).
So just in case you need any advice regarding work experience, I personally had 2 months of volunteering in a care home (weekends) and I had 2 weeks of work experience in a Private Dentistry and spent another 2 weeks in an NHS Dentistry environment.
Many Universities, including KCL, require applicants to have some sort of volunteering experience because this shows both empathy and communication skills (two skills vital to overall Dentistry).
Hope I helped in some way.
Last edited by Oluwadamilooolaa; 9 months ago
vc2002
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Oluwadamilooolaa)
I’m in year 13 and a Dentistry applicant and I’ve been given an interview for 3/4 of the Universities I applied to regarding Dentistry (Including KCL).
So just in case you need any advice regarding work experience, I personally had 2 months of volunteering in a care home (weekends) and I had 2 weeks of work experience in a Private Dentistry and spent another 2 weeks in an NHS Dentistry environment.
Many Universities, including KCL, require applicants to have some sort of volunteering experience because this shows both empathy and communication skills (two skills vital to overall Dentistry).
Hope I helped in some way.
If you don't mind me asking, what were your predicted A level grades, GCSE grades and UKCAT score??

I hope to apply this year for 2021 entry and KCL is definitely one of my top choices but I'm worried that my GCSE grades will put me at a disadvantage. They're decent but not amazing, and from what I've read KCL takes GCSE's largely into consideration when giving out interviews.
Oluwadamilooolaa
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by vc2002)
If you don't mind me asking, what were your predicted A level grades, GCSE grades and UKCAT score??

I hope to apply this year for 2021 entry and KCL is definitely one of my top choices but I'm worried that my GCSE grades will put me at a disadvantage. They're decent but not amazing, and from what I've read KCL takes GCSE's largely into consideration when giving out interviews.
Hii and yes sure.
I was predicted A*A*A
My GCSE grades were 999998877
And 725, Band 2 Ucat score.
Good luck with 2021 entry. I wish you the best ☺️ for gcse grades, I forgot what they require but have you checked their website to ensure you meet them?
Big Hypothalamus
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Sorry to bother I'm a yr12 and am considering doing dentistry (at KCL if possible). Just wanted to ask how you guys revised/prepared for the UKCAT tests. U got band 2 so ur smart...
Oluwadamilooolaa
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Big Hypothalamus)
Sorry to bother I'm a yr12 and am considering doing dentistry (at KCL if possible). Just wanted to ask how you guys revised/prepared for the UKCAT tests. U got band 2 so ur smart...
I used medify, I would definitely recommend. A lot of the people who do well in the ucat purchase the medify course where there are multiple ucat based questions on each section, the questions are very similar and in ucat format. I carried on with these questions until I felt confident in each section and was achieving above 700 in the mocks provided in the course.
Last edited by Oluwadamilooolaa; 5 months ago
phoebexo
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
i want to do dentistry and i had work experience booked but it's been cancelled cos of coronavirus so do you think that would affect my application?
Ellenaupson
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Hi everyone, just wondering if anyone could help...
Due to the coronavirus situation, my work experience has been cancelled
It was due to be in a private practice, mainly cosmetics, and the dentist did say to me that he will try and allow me to do this whenever he can, but because of the guidelines I have no idea when this will be.
I have been going to a local care home with my sixth form since around jan/feb once a week, but again with restrictions I’m not sure this will be possible again before I apply.
My GCSE’s are 9877777776 (6 in art)
And I am hoping for AAA/AAB at a level - Chemistry, Biology, French
Any help/advice would much be appreciated as I am worrying that I don’t have enough!!!!
m i a
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Ellenaupson)
Hi everyone, just wondering if anyone could help...
Due to the coronavirus situation, my work experience has been cancelled
It was due to be in a private practice, mainly cosmetics, and the dentist did say to me that he will try and allow me to do this whenever he can, but because of the guidelines I have no idea when this will be.
I have been going to a local care home with my sixth form since around jan/feb once a week, but again with restrictions I’m not sure this will be possible again before I apply.
My GCSE’s are 9877777776 (6 in art)
And I am hoping for AAA/AAB at a level - Chemistry, Biology, French
Any help/advice would much be appreciated as I am worrying that I don’t have enough!!!!
I have the exact same problem I planned to do dentistry work experience this summer but its not going to happen...
i'm going to try getting in contact with dentists/ students to ask them questions about dentistry, but i'm not sure if that will be enough to look good on my personal statement. I'm not even sure how to get i contact with any student/ dentists as all the practices are shut ???
this website kinda helped:
https://www.dentalschoolscouncil.ac....d-19-pandemic/
Ellenaupson
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Thank you so much!
Where are you thinking of applying?
m i a
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Ellenaupson)
Thank you so much!
Where are you thinking of applying?
Cardiff, Plymouth, and Bristol so far. I'm not too sure where else to apply yet, as I'm quite far away from anywhere
How about you
Ellenaupson
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Sheffield (as I live in Nottingham and I really like the look of it), Bristol also and maybe Birmingham? They are the closest of entry requirements that I could reach realistically 😊
Trying to avoid the BMAT as the UCAT is hard enough ! How are you finding it?
m i a
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I looked at Sheffield a while ago and it looked really good, i live in Cornwall though so everywhere is really far to move to where i don't know anyone :sigh:
My college hasn't told me anything about UCAT, so not really sure how to revise or when it will be, ahaha so not great. any tips for revising for it?
username675472
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I have no volunteering experience but I have been working in a caring role for over three years which is paid. Do you think this will be okay or do you recommend I got unpaid volunteering work?
Miamars098
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Any graduate entry candidates applying for 2021?
Applicant75235
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Miamars098)
Any graduate entry candidates applying for 2021?
yess 🙌 if all goes well with ukcat🙏
Llamadawg
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Hi guys,

I'm an international student applying for 2021 entry and would like to know the most competitive applications/places for international students. Also I heard there are no quotas for international students at the University of Liverpool so will that make it less competitive for international students?

I got 99988A*A*A*A*A for IGCSEs
Currently predicted 6,6,6 in IB higher level aiming to be slightly higher by September.
Taking UCAT in August and aiming for around 2800.

Which university do u guys think I will have the best chance of being admitted?
zoey101xo
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Kings college would be a good fit as you kind meet there requirements also Queen Mary university of London would be a great fit. maybe check their websites and other universities like uni of Birmingham and Liverpool university because they also do dentistry for international students.
Hope that helped.
Good luck in the Ucat
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (177)
14.43%
I'm not sure (56)
4.56%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (361)
29.42%
I have already dropped out (35)
2.85%
I'm not a current university student (598)
48.74%

Watched Threads