The Student Room Group

Stress awareness week!

Hi everyone, this week is national stress awareness; from the 4th of November to the 8th of November there will be some amazing posts around TSR to support users on how to deal with stress. I will be talking about who you can talk to when you’re feeling stressed and overwhelmed. There is always someone that will listen no matter what! Here is a list of some examples of who you could chat to:

1). A family member. This could be your parent; carer/guardian; any siblings you have. Other relatives may include a nan or grandad or an auntie/uncle if you have a close family network. They are all there to support you no matter how small or big your worry is; the main thing is to try get it off your chest to stop the stress building up and becoming a cyclical virtue.

2). Friends! Having a close network of friends can be a great thing, it makes an individual feel valued and valid as a person. A close network of friends does not have to be a huge number of people, having a good set of trustworthy friends are better than +10 people that you are unable to trust ultimately.

In addition, many people say friends are there to be your shoulder to cry on, this can be true! Friends are there to support you through your super tough and good times. They can be your point of contact, whether this is face to face or online messaging to relieve any stresses you may have.

3). Colleagues or teachers/lectures in a work or school environment can also support you. They are more than happy to listen to any concerns you have. If you have a personal tutor in a school establishment they are usually your first point of contact for both emotional support and any other arising issues. However, by talking to a colleague about stress it allows them to understand why you’re feeling so saddened inside or seeming to have low moods. Colleagues and teachers can also offer support emotionally, they are humans after all!

4). GP, a GP is there to support service users within the community, and they deal with Mental Health issues a lot, so rest assured you will not be the first to feel stressed or anxious. Therefore, try to eliminate the worry of seeing a doctor about your stress. GP’s can do wonderful things to support an individual suffering with stress, this may include sending a referral to a team of counsellors and therapists which may involve CBT. (I.e: within the NHS trust). Although, GP’s can also allow you to just ventilate and chat with a professional who can listen to you with respect and not make you feel judged in any way.

5). Lastly, there are many people on the student room who would be delighted to help another user out. If anybody ever needs a chat, you’re more than welcome to send me a private message or send a post through TSR :smile:.

There is no shame in asking for help, we all need support at times. Whether that’s now or in ten years time, there are so many people out there readily available to support you. I hope this will be give some people guidance and reassurance that you’re not alone, and stress is a huge overwhelming toll on a person! It’s okay to express your emotions to alleviate stress and nobody should stop you doing that.
(edited 4 years ago)
Much needed! I just slept the whole day because I was soo overwhelmed with all the studying I'm not doing and the work that's piling on. :frown: It's like wearing a depression hat, a student hat and a writer hat.
Original post by blackmyst3ry
Much needed! I just slept the whole day because I was soo overwhelmed with all the studying I'm not doing and the work that's piling on. :frown: It's like wearing a depression hat, a student hat and a writer hat.

I'm sorry to hear that! Do you have any coping strategies for when you're feeling so overwhelmed? If you start studying make sure to give yourself plenty of breaks and remember to take intervals for eating and drinking. You're more than welcome to message me if you need to chat about this :console:
I took up journaling, for a week and then haven't written anything in the last 2 days. I have a work deadline for the 12th and need to focus on that now. I usually just sleep to cope with feeling overwhelmed. I just showered and managed to make it to my desk. Also, I had a cup of green tea. :smile:

Right now, I'm just trying to develop the right frame of mind to start writing.
I took up journaling, for a week and then haven't written anything in the last 2 days. I have a work deadline for the 12th and need to focus on that now. I usually just sleep to cope with feeling overwhelmed. I just showered and managed to make it to my desk. Also, I had a cup of green tea. :smile:

Right now, I'm just trying to develop the right frame of mind to start writing.

How is journalling going at the moment? Have you written anything else?

I hope you were able to submit the deadline, and you feel that some weight has been taken off your shoulders - hopefully! :h:
I really suck at consistency, so I, unfortunately, haven't journaled since then.

Yeah, I managed to smash 2 consecutive deadlines. But I'm out of steam and my workload has doubled.

I haven't managed to study a word either, so that's really winding me down.
Reply 6
I really suck at consistency, so I, unfortunately, haven't journaled since then.

Yeah, I managed to smash 2 consecutive deadlines. But I'm out of steam and my workload has doubled.

The best way to do things like journals is to set a specific time for it. I write my diary before going to bed every day, and have been doing so for over six years now. It is part of my routine like brushing my teeth is. I just write a short paragraph so that I don't dread it too much and now I have 3 full books.

This helped me since I also struggle with committing to things and procrastination. I should be studying right now in fact...

It’s fine to have a break from doing this, do whatever feels right for you ultimately.

Well done on smashing the deadlines, are you planning on having a small break from the work to stop you over working yourself?

I hope your weekend goes well :hugs:
Original post by Elbram
The best way to do things like journals is to set a specific time for it. I write my diary before going to bed every day, and have been doing so for over six years now. It is part of my routine like brushing my teeth is. I just write a short paragraph so that I don't dread it too much and now I have 3 full books.

This helped me since I also struggle with committing to things and procrastination. I should be studying right now in fact...

Procrastination is the worst 😬

Quick Reply

Latest