What can I do with an economics degree? Should I even do it? Watch

confuzzledteen
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I find economics really interesting; it’s a subject that has always fascinated me. In particular, I love macro as (in my opinion), it deals with the “real issues” that the world today faces, like unemployment, inequality, environmental degradation etc. My love for the subject has made me want to do it at university, atm I’m doing my A levels (chem, maths, further maths, economics) & hoping to write an EPQ, probably on trickle down theory. I’d love to study economics at a good university, and the thought of spending years studying the subject thrills me. However, when I think about employment after attaining my degree, I start to feel a bit sad. Professional success differs from person to person, and if you don’t agree with my idea of success or think it’s shallow, then that’s perfectly okay. But for me, professional success is determined by what I’m giving back to the world & what can make me money, enabling me to enjoy life. With an economics degree, I know that I could branch into actuarial science or investment banking, which would make me money. But that’s only half of what I view as success. Neither actuarial science nor investment banking directly gives back to the world imo, and I’d want to help solve bigger issues like inequality or help the disadvantaged in third world countries. But what job would let me do this, whilst earning money?

My other choice would be to do medicine, as it incorporates both giving back as well as earning money. However, with my current qualifications (ie A level subjects I take & an economics based EPQ), I worry that no medical school would accept me as it seems as if medicine was my second choice. Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

I’m currently in Y12 & have a long time left to think about this, but I like having a clear goal to work towards so any opinion would be appreciated.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by confuzzledteen)
I find economics really interesting; it’s a subject that has always fascinated me. In particular, I love macro as (in my opinion), it deals with the “real issues” that the world today faces, like unemployment, inequality, environmental degradation etc. My love for the subject has made me want to do it at university, atm I’m doing my A levels (chem, maths, further maths, economics) & hoping to write an EPQ, probably on trickle down theory. I’d love to study economics at a good university, and the thought of spending years studying the subject thrills me. However, when I think about employment after attaining my degree, I start to feel a bit sad. Professional success differs from person to person, and if you don’t agree with my idea of success or think it’s shallow, then that’s perfectly okay. But for me, professional success is determined by what I’m giving back to the world & what can make me money, enabling me to enjoy life. With an economics degree, I know that I could branch into actuarial science or investment banking, which would make me money. But that’s only half of what I view as success. Neither actuarial science nor investment banking directly gives back to the world imo, and I’d want to help solve bigger issues like inequality or help the disadvantaged in third world countries. But what job would let me do this, whilst earning money?

My other choice would be to do medicine, as it incorporates both giving back as well as earning money. However, with my current qualifications (ie A level subjects I take & an economics based EPQ), I worry that no medical school would accept me as it seems as if medicine was my second choice. Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

I’m currently in Y12 & have a long time left to think about this, but I like having a clear goal to work towards so any opinion would be appreciated.
https://www.prospects.ac.uk/careers-...gree/economics
Admit-One
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Why not look into Sustainable Development programmes? There’s a few Uni’s that combine this with Business or Economics.
Joleee
Badges: 18
Report 1 week ago
i think you're looking at this from the wrong angle. ask yourself what kind of job do i see myself doing - then find out what degree gets you there. you want to give back to the world, so you want to work in public service? the government? do you want to be a solicitor and represent people on legal aid? you can do all that with an economics degree. most degrees are not career specific and have transferable skills. i wouldn't limit my thinking if i were you.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Trinity Laban Conservatoire of Music and Dance
    Contemporary Dance Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Nov '19
  • University of Surrey
    All subjects except Veterinary Medicine and Guildford School of Acting Undergraduate
    Wed, 20 Nov '19
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Discover Your Type of Law - LPC and GDL - Birmingham campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Nov '19

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (200)
19.18%
Labour (443)
42.47%
Liberal Democrats (202)
19.37%
Green Party (54)
5.18%
Brexit Party (28)
2.68%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (4)
0.38%
SNP (15)
1.44%
Plaid Cymru (10)
0.96%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (1)
0.1%
Sinn Fein (2)
0.19%
SDLP (1)
0.1%
Ulster Unionist (3)