thaisrib
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 days ago
Hey guys,

To put it straight, I am completely conflicted. I have always been downright divided between the humanities and the sciences, but slowly I've realized I need to cement some sort of plan for my studies. (If you read through this thank you so much bc I struggle getting to the point)

I'm a first year IB student, and my subjects are as follows:

HL Language and Literature
HL French B
SL History
HL Chemistry
SL Math Analysis and Approaches
HL Biology

I chose HL Biology and Chem because last year I fell in love with them-- and this sort made me consider medicine for a long while.
Before that however, my interests had always been more toward the social sciences, including pursuing something like international management or international relations.
I am 2 months into IB and Chemistry has sort of been tough. I have always been a pretty good student overall which is why it was really hard for me to choose my subjects-- I literally find interest in every course I take.

I am really enjoying Chemistry! But it has kind of been a strain on my grades, and despite my interest in it I am slowly realizing it is not a subject I would like to pursue academically. English and History however, I am becoming continuously more engaged, and I really wish I took Economics as one of my course options.

Additionally, I'm an international student, and I really need to think smart financially. I can't help but feel like a failure if I decide to drop chemistry... but I am going to rely on scholarships and so strategically thinking I need my points to stay up, and if this one subject really drops my average, especially being one of my HLs...
Also, medicine in Europe (mainland Europe which is the region I'm applying to) generally requires you to learn the native language of the country and remain there (at least until your studies are completed or you get a license to work afterward) afterward.. I am really looking for something loose and international.
I spoke to my university counsellor (who probably hates me at this point) who highlighted that just because I continue taking chem doesn't mean I can't apply to the humanities in uni, and I know this, but the only reason I would take Chemistry is to pursue medicine, and if I have ruled that out, is it worth it to keep taking the subject just to "keep my options open"?
Econ at my school is full and so I don't think I could join, but most likely I'd transfer to Business Management--is this a risky move?

Anyways, I am very confused and I hope some of that made sense, any advice is appreciated
Last edited by thaisrib; 3 days ago
LSP123
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
Please qualify what you mean by 'loose and international'? It is easily misunderstood. Of course if mainland Europe is your target, then study German for 1 year and get free lessons. Otherwise UK does not give many scholarships for ugs for foreigners.
thaisrib
Rep:
?
(Original post by LSP123)
Please qualify what you mean by 'loose and international'? It is easily misunderstood. Of course if mainland Europe is your target, then study German for 1 year and get free lessons. Otherwise UK does not give many scholarships for ugs for foreigners.
Hi, sorry! By that I just mean a career with many international prospects--essentially an area where I could find employment in many different regions. And for mainland Europe I don't necessarily mean Germany, although that is an option! I am most likely applying to France and the Netherlands (I speak french, but I think academically I'd still prefer English courses, which are hard to find in the science field there)
LSP123
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
Based on your selections, you were trying to move into medicine or healthcare sciences. But if you should dread Chemistry then options in humanities and the arts would open up more easily. France and Netherlands are excellent choices or you could try QUB?
Raksha02
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
I think you shouldn't drop chem, I finished IB recently with Chem HL and trust me Chem gets better. In contrast Business Management is not considered a 'rigorous' subject by unis, so a 7 in BM might still say the same about you academically as a 6 in Chem
thaisrib
Rep:
?
(Original post by Raksha02)
I think you shouldn't drop chem, I finished IB recently with Chem HL and trust me Chem gets better. In contrast Business Management is not considered a 'rigorous' subject by unis, so a 7 in BM might still say the same about you academically as a 6 in Chem
What other courses did you take alongside? Did you end up pursuing something with it in uni?
thaisrib
Rep:
?
(Original post by thaisrib)
Hey guys,

To put it straight, I am completely conflicted. I have always been downright divided between the humanities and the sciences, but slowly I've realized I need to cement some sort of plan for my studies. (If you read through this thank you so much bc I struggle getting to the point)

I'm a first year IB student, and my subjects are as follows:

HL Language and Literature
HL French B
SL History
HL Chemistry
SL Math Analysis and Approaches
HL Biology

I chose HL Biology and Chem because last year I fell in love with them-- and this sort made me consider medicine for a long while.
Before that however, my interests had always been more toward the social sciences, including pursuing something like international management or international relations.
I am 2 months into IB and Chemistry has sort of been tough. I have always been a pretty good student overall which is why it was really hard for me to choose my subjects-- I literally find interest in every course I take.

I am really enjoying Chemistry! But it has kind of been a strain on my grades, and despite my interest in it I am slowly realizing it is not a subject I would like to pursue academically. English and History however, I am becoming continuously more engaged, and I really wish I took Economics as one of my course options.

Additionally, I'm an international student, and I really need to think smart financially. I can't help but feel like a failure if I decide to drop chemistry... I am going to rely on scholarships but strategically thinking, and if this one subject really drops my average, especially being one of my HLs...
Also, medicine in Europe (mainland Europe which is the region I'm applying to) generally requires you to learn the native language of the country and remain there (at least until your studies are completed or you get a license to work afterward) afterward.. I am really looking for something loose and international.
I spoke to my university counsellor (who probably hates me at this point) who highlighted that just because I continue taking chem doesn't mean I can't apply to the humanities in uni, and I know this, but the only reason I would take Chemistry is to pursue medicine, and if I have ruled that out, is it worth it to keep taking the subject just to "keep my options open"?
Econ at my school is full and so I don't think I could join, but most likely I'd transfer to Business Management--is this a risky move?

Anyways, I am very confused and I hope some of that made sense, any advice is appreciated
Would it better to just drop Chem to SL? I was looking into switching because Econ or business despite not usually being required subjects would give me a background for the degrees I'm looking into...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Chester
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 13 Nov '19
  • Kingston University London
    All faculties involved Undergraduate
    Wed, 13 Nov '19
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Discover Your Type of Law - LPC and GDL - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 13 Nov '19

Are you registered to vote?

18-20 years old (yes) (223)
53.48%
18-20 years old (no) (55)
13.19%
20-25 years old (yes) (65)
15.59%
20-25 years old (no) (9)
2.16%
25-30 years old (yes) (24)
5.76%