The Student Room Group

UKCAT - Practice Questions and Useful Resources

Scroll to see replies

!MEna
Where are the questions on that site? LOL! :p:

You know the slideshow with the tips on for each section? There is a few example questions after that, and following that there is a non-timed test. If you look to the right of the slideshow, it has a list of the slides and the one you are on is highlighted in a different colour. If you click on the end slide title, that's where all the questions are :smile:
See attached. You should click on the tab entitled, for example, "Decision Analysis UKCAT Practice Quiz".
Hope this helps!
scaryhair
See attached. You should click on the tab entitled, for example, "Decision Analysis UKCAT Practice Quiz".

Hope this helps!
Ah thanks for that! Completely missed out that there were more questions after the three examples after those tips hehe!

Thanks again! :smile:
thanks :biggrin: i cant believe i will sit this test for a third time! :redface:
http://www.mindtools.com/speedrd.html

Dunno if this is mentioned in verbal reasoning practice section, but here's an article on 'speed reading' - a technique that helps you select useful bits of information from paragraph in the quickest possible way. Hope it helps.
Reply 25
YarrahGoffincher
http://www.mindtools.com/speedrd.html

Dunno if this is mentioned in verbal reasoning practice section, but here's an article on 'speed reading' - a technique that helps you select useful bits of information from paragraph in the quickest possible way. Hope it helps.

Cheers YarrahGoffincher, I have updated the list :smile:
Reply 26
Thanks for this, it's going to be a great help!

I have mine on 30th Aug and

OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG.

Still haven't started preparing for it yet.
Screwed screwed screwed screwed screwed screwed.

But thanks :]
with regard to above^^ 30th of august and you are worried now :O literally the most preperation anyone can do is like 4 days... and that is the absolute maximum as you use up all the material and don't learn anything anywayz...

don't panic
Reply 28
Seriouslyyyy!?
I can go back to being lazy!

Oh wait...personal statement. Dammit.
Reply 29
* Dain Bramaged
literally the most preperation anyone can do is like 4 days... and that is the absolute maximum as you use up all the material and don't learn anything anywayz...

Okay, this is bad advice. The best way to approach it is to spend several days reading through UKCAT books before starting on the practice questions to understand what the UKCAT is about and how it is used and what techniques are required. Also, do not spend whole days rushing through questions: do a few, have a break, go back and see where you went wrong and how you can improve. Spread your practice over a couple of weeks. This is how you can master the techniques, not by spending hours on end just going through questions. Plus there is much more you can do than just practice UKCAT questions. For example, improve your speed reading by reading short magazine articles, making short notes on it, and checking back to see if you took in all of the information. Of course you will learning things by practicing.

(PS the neg rep didn't have any effect, cheers for leaving your name :wink:)
Reply 30
hmm I tried the practice test on the UKCAT website but when the verbal reasoning section finishes it says "time for this section ran out" so I click ok...then the program just closes ._.
Reply 31
I found the ukcat book helpful and got an average score of 710 :biggrin:. Selling it now. If anyone wats to buy it PM me and i'll give it to you at a cheaper price!:wink:
motiv3
Thank you ever so much. Just started UKCAT practise and from my book, i did 20 and got like 13 right and felt horrible...but thanks to ur links, learnt what i was doing wrong...READING THE FLIPPING QUESTION PROPERLY!

thanks again for the links!
this made me laugh :tongue:
iSimon
hmm I tried the practice test on the UKCAT website but when the verbal reasoning section finishes it says "time for this section ran out" so I click ok...then the program just closes ._.

It did that to me as well, very annoying! I tried it a second time and got to the end of the maths section then it closed again.

I noticed underneath it has the answers in a PDF file so maybe the program doesn't mark itself, doesn't explain why it just closes though.
Reply 34
Is it necessary to buy a book? Is it really helpful?
I have mine on the 31st and haven't bought a book..
Anyone know what's the average score for UKCAT and what's impressive?

Not because I want to validate myself as some genius *which Im not :smile:) via UKCAT, just so I know where I stand with it and unis when I get my score.

And lastly, when you sit the test, is it in a big hall with other candidates like for a usual exam??
Reply 36
Make_It
Is it necessary to buy a book? Is it really helpful?
I have mine on the 31st and haven't bought a book..

It isn't necessary, but I would recommend it. I've heard a lot of people say that the questions are easier in the books than on the website, and even suggest that there are mistakes in the books. That said, the books are good at teaching you strategy: how to approach the questions, such as what to look for in the shapes questions. I suggest you pop into your bookstore and have a quick mooch through and decide whether you think it would be useful for you. :smile:
Reply 37
allieRAWR!
Anyone know what's the average score for UKCAT and what's impressive?

Not because I want to validate myself as some genius *which Im not :smile:) via UKCAT, just so I know where I stand with it and unis when I get my score.

And lastly, when you sit the test, is it in a big hall with other candidates like for a usual exam??

Most people achieve between 500-700, so 600 is the average. I think anything about 600 is impressive, and anything above 700 is simply genius, but its not my opinion that counts! Look on the websites of the medical schools you wish to apply for and check for any cut-off points and how they use your score. Some schools will barely look at it.
I sat my UKCAT in the same room where I sat my driving theory test: a small little room with about 15 computers against 3 walls, with the 4th wall as a glass screen where someone sits to check if anyone needs help. There were plenty of other people sitting tests, though not necessarily the UKCAT too, so it might be useful to put your headphones on (if you have some) to block out the mouse clicking noises of everyone else!
Reply 38
My UKCAT is tomorrow and last minute help??
Reply 39
stay calm,
use the one minute breaks to relax and prepare for the next section (e.g. make sure the calculator is in front of you before the maths section)
You won't finish all of the sections - don't panic
Dont forget to use the calculator and whiteboard
The shapes section is usually very simple - look at SCANP (shapes/size, colour, amount, number, positions) try counting numbers of sides.

The maths was easier than the practice test

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending