PC to TV using the internet Watch

Nalced
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
I need computer advice.

My dad is planning to connect the computer to the TV and using the internet stream videos and show live sports in his bar.
The TV is a 42in TV, not HD fancy stuff and we already have an external PC to TV converter just in case.

I’ve been to some shops and told them what I needed but I don’t really trust them since one place tried to convince me that I needed a ATI 3650 which I’m certain is a bit overkill.

This machine’s most important task will be to steam from the internet, connect to a TV either directly from the PC to TV (depending on the video card, but I’m not really sure) or using the external converter.

With your professional advice can you tell me if they’re overpricing me or the motherboard is awful or I should seriously consider an ATI 3650.

From my own personal research the motherboard in Computer One is better but I don’t know if I really need a more powerful/faster motherboard.
I had loads of trouble with the VGA/Video Cards because I don’t want something that will be over powered and a waste of time and money.
I insisted a minimum of 2GB of RAM knowing that steaming stuff will take memory.

This machine will be used a lot by the masses to check their email so it will go into a lot of use.

Computer One (Roughly £195)

CPU- E2180 (2.0GHz)
RAM- 2GB/667
HARDDISK- 80GB/SATA
VGA- NVIDIA 8500 GT 1GB
MAINBOARD- Asus P5kPL
CDDRIVE- DVD-RW
CASE- ATX
Others- Wireless Card

Computer Two (Roughly £160, includes wireless card I think)

CPU- E2180 (2.0GHz)
RAM- 2GB/667
HARDDISK- 80GB (7200)
VGA- NVIDIA 8400 GS 256MB
MAINBOARD- Asus P5LD2-X
CDDRIVE- Combo
CASE- ATX 450w
JayEm
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
All you need is something that'll support the TV's resolution. You don't really need much power to play and stream non-HD video.

Also, I wouldn't recommend using the signal converter; what other inputs does the TV have? What make/model TV is it?
Nalced
Rep:
?
Not sure. I have to check that later.

But i know it uses the basic, red-yellow-white, 3 cables input. And the converter has the cables to do the job.
IcEmAn911
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
No. your graphics cards are more than good enough to be used for streaming videos alone and the ATi 3650 would only be good for playing computer games using high settings and a higher resolution. Both motherboards seem decent and as long as it boots up then its fine.
Nalced
Rep:
?
Motherboard on computer one (reading off the Asus website) has HD Audio and some other fancy Audio stuff. IS that overkill and pointless useless?
motherboard-one- http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?mo...11&l3=563&l4=0
Motherboard-two- http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1...50&modelmenu=1
rastaman25
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Why not just use Sky? Better quality? Plus lots of different channel choice, and unlikely to stutter like streamed media?
Syntax Terrier
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I would have thought some on board graphics would be good enough for 440 * 300 or whatever tellies are.
PieMaster
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Nalced)
Motherboard on computer one (reading off the Asus website) has HD Audio and some other fancy Audio stuff. IS that overkill and pointless useless?
'HD Audio' is just the new type of onboard audio chip (replaces AC-97) which is pretty much the most basic you can get.

Incidentally, you do know how bad it will be checking emails on a standard TV? Infact, you might want to check the health and safety law on that one.
thefish_uk
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I don't know about newer graphics cards but I've tried using the TV-out feature on a couple of different cards and it's been pretty terrible - we're talking VHS quality here. If you think that's acceptable, try watching something on VHS nowadays and you'll realise how bad the quality is by modern standards, blowing it up to 42in is really going to expose how bad it looks (though it's streaming so it'll be bad quality anyway). Also internet streaming doesn't strike me as the ideal solution for sports in a place that may end up populated with drunk people - when it loses connection just before a crucial deciding bit of the match that TV is getting broken.

Personally I'd just get Sky Sports.

As PieMaster hinted a standard (non-HD) TV cannot be used for normal computer tasks like checking e-mails as the quality isn't good enough.
Nalced
Rep:
?
Being in Thailand its imposable to get some sports such as Horse racing and some Irish stuff. That is what the internet shall be used for.
And checking emails will be done with a normal screen, computer will be connected to TV for sports.
We've upgraded the internet and will use a dedicated IPport (this should avoid the buffer stuff) which should be better for steaming stuff.
I know the quality will be bad but its better than nothing, and being one of the few places in town to show stuff like the Grand Nationa, Galic football, Herling and so on.
IcEmAn911
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I suppose it depends on how you connect it.. It would be best to connect it using a dvi cable

X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (234)
39.39%
No - but I will (40)
6.73%
No - I don't want to (43)
7.24%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (277)
46.63%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise