Are Universities subject to "Whistleblowing?" laws Watch

DougStevens
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 days ago
Do Universities have to adhere to the "WhistleBlowing" laws that companies do? Or is there something similar?

I raised a safeguarding issue with my University. A class member was clearly in difficulties with her mental health. She was bullying everyone, posting outrageous stuff online, and most importantly she was abusing her boyfriend (By egging him on to self harm, and aiding him with it)

As I said, I raised a safeguarding issue.

BUT. She (The student) is a friend of one of the directors of the university, and I found myself the subject of a hate campaign by the Director. I was then excluded on "vague behavioural issues" - they cannot state one specific instance, and there was not one single disciplinary action raised against me.

I've spoken to lawyers, and they say the university has acted unprofessionally, illegally and various things, but to be honest, I'm tired of paying £200 an hour to listen to that...

Opinions?
Joleee
Badges: 18
Report 3 days ago
yes but you are not an employee and what you did would not classify as whistleblowing.

www.gov.uk/whistleblowing

assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/415175/bis-15-200-whistleblowing-guidance-for-employers-and-code-of-practice.pdf

what do you mean by hate campaign against you? what did the uni do that is classified 'illegal'?
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
(Original post by DougStevens)
Do Universities have to adhere to the "WhistleBlowing" laws that companies do? Or is there something similar?

I raised a safeguarding issue with my University. A class member was clearly in difficulties with her mental health. She was bullying everyone, posting outrageous stuff online, and most importantly she was abusing her boyfriend (By egging him on to self harm, and aiding him with it)

As I said, I raised a safeguarding issue.

BUT. She (The student) is a friend of one of the directors of the university, and I found myself the subject of a hate campaign by the Director. I was then excluded on "vague behavioural issues" - they cannot state one specific instance, and there was not one single disciplinary action raised against me.

I've spoken to lawyers, and they say the university has acted unprofessionally, illegally and various things, but to be honest, I'm tired of paying £200 an hour to listen to that...

Opinions?
How could have been 'excluded' from the university where no disciplinary proceedings had been taken against you? Exclusion would come at the end of this process, not the beginning.

This story doesn't add up.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Chester
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 13 Nov '19
  • Kingston University London
    All faculties involved Undergraduate
    Wed, 13 Nov '19
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Discover Your Type of Law - LPC and GDL - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 13 Nov '19

Are you registered to vote?

18-20 years old (yes) (250)
54.11%
18-20 years old (no) (59)
12.77%
20-25 years old (yes) (77)
16.67%
20-25 years old (no) (9)
1.95%
25-30 years old (yes) (24)
5.19%