Duncan H
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
I am 58 and haven't studied academically since 1977 when I did my O levels. I've been a involved in catering as a head chef fora total of 25 years. I did I.T for 10 years and now drive trucks for a living. I'd like to study a degree in history preferably the periods of Roman and Ancient Greek or Medieval Europe.
No real ideas of where to start, what I need to even apply and I do need to continue working as I can't afford financially to quit my job.
HELP
Last edited by Duncan H; 6 days ago
LuigiMario
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
I think you have a couple of ways to do this, some sort of day-release at whatever local minor university is nearest, I’m thinking Leeds Trinity , great friendly place in the suburbs, or Leeds City College - replace Leeds with your local town/city and go and visit them!

Alternatively, if you have about 17 hours a week of spare time, Harold Wislon’s project will get you an honours degree in whichever subjects you prefer, and at your own pace.

http://www.open.ac.uk/courses/qualif...y-requirements

I did part of a OU science degree, my study groups were in Den Haag on Saturdays - summer school was a great week at University of Reading. I’ve paused that degree for a bit, but will surely restart it soon
Last edited by LuigiMario; 5 days ago
LSP123
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Surely you can enquire and apply at the Open University for a start, all the best.
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by Duncan H)
I am 58 and haven't studied academically since 1977 when I did my O levels. I've been a involved in catering as a head chef fora total of 25 years. I did I.T for 10 years and now drive trucks for a living. I'd like to study a degree in history preferably the periods of Roman and Ancient Greek or Medieval Europe.
No real ideas of where to start, what I need to even apply and I do need to continue working as I can't afford financially to quit my job.
HELP
Good to hear you're interested in going back to study

A university will need to see evidence of recent study in order for you to start a degree. You've got a few options in how to best achieve this. Which option you choose will depend in large part on the available time you have to dedicate to this 'pre' study, and how much you want to spend.

The first thing will be to do some research on universities using the UCAS website to research some courses and unis you might be interested in. Then, as a non-standard (i.e. not a school-leaver) applicant, it's best to contact the Admissions Office and explain your situation - ask them what preparation they would need to allow entry. Some might suggest you take an Access course to HE: these are one-year courses taken at your local FE college which prepare you for university entrance. You have to pay for it (about £3K), but if you subsequently enter HE, the government will write off the loan you would take out to pay the fees: essentially it's free.

Other options might be to take one or more OU modules in history (this could cost a bit, though) or study an A level or two privately. Most students would take the Access option, but these courses are often full-time, in the day, and I don't know whether your work situation would allow this. As I"ve said, there are plenty of other options, though. But do start some research via UCAS and contact some institutions you're interested in: they'll be only too happy to help.
Duncan H
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
(Original post by LSP123)
Surely you can enquire and apply at the Open University for a start, all the best.
I think the OU too be too long and also looking at their History program of little interest to me.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Nov '19
  • University of Roehampton
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Nov '19
  • Swansea University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Nov '19

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (68)
19.21%
Labour (140)
39.55%
Liberal Democrats (74)
20.9%
Green Party (26)
7.34%
Brexit Party (10)
2.82%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (0)
0%
SNP (6)
1.69%
Plaid Cymru (5)
1.41%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (0)
0%
SDLP (0)
0%
Ulster Unionist (0)