I'm going out with a girl tomorrow Watch

unaManzana
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 days ago
I used to struggle badly with social anxiety, I still do a little bit but it's improved a lot since I started going out, competed as a boxer, took salsa classes.

The other day, I went clubbing with my friends and I approached this girl and got her number. We've been talking ever since and she wants me to take her out tomorrow so I will.

I'm worried that there'll be a lot of awkward silences as I don't know her that much lol. I know she's an international student from the USA, and that she's a bookworm, she loves poetry and all of that stuff lol.

What sort of questions should I ask a girl to maintain a conversation? That's the main goal of this date lol to improve my conversation skills. Any tips?
Anonymous #1
Report 3 days ago
If she likes poetry then why not try to spark conversation about that. Just like talk about your common interests. Good luck
Greywolftwo
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
(Original post by unaManzana)
bump
Chances are if she’s a bookworm and loves poetry she’ll have a little bit of social anxiety too, at least you can comfort each other. It’s also normal to feel this way as you’ve never met her before
unaManzana
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 days ago
(Original post by Greywolftwo)
Chances are if she’s a bookworm and loves poetry she’ll have a little bit of social anxiety too, at least you can comfort each other. It’s also normal to feel this way as you’ve never met her before
that's true. I didn't think of that before
this might just go down very bad lol
Anonymous #2
Report 3 days ago
I used to struggle badly with social anxiety, I still do a little bit but it's improved a lot since I started going out, competed as a boxer, took salsa classes.

The other day, I went clubbing with my friends and I approached this girl and got her number. We've been talking ever since and she wants me to take her out tomorrow so I will.

I'm worried that there'll be a lot of awkward silences as I don't know her that much lol. I know she's an international student from the USA, and that she's a bookworm, she loves poetry and all of that stuff lol.

What sort of questions should I ask a girl to maintain a conversation? That's the main goal of this date lol to improve my conversation skills. Any tips?
Relax and make it about connection, don’t worry too much about the conversation cause it’s down to her as well. Make a new question from anything she says. Girls love it when you take a sincere interest in them so be interested in what she does, her goals etc. Eye contact.
Greywolftwo
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
that's true. I didn't think of that before
this might just go down very bad lol
You’ll be on the same level
roseabates
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
This might sound strange but don't be afraid to talk to her about your social anxiety, it will provide you with a topic of conversation and bring you two closer. Also ask her about herself as everyone likes to talk about themselves and have a few funny anecdotes you can throw in. A lot of girls find shyer boys cute so it might work as an angle for you ahah...
Good luck and tell us how it goes!!
Cantab_UCL
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
May I make a helpful suggestion? Keep it simple. Where are you thinking of taking her? The first time I took a girl out, it was the cinema followed by Pizza Hut buffet (purposely capped it at £25).
squeakysquirrel
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago

Ask her about the USA - don't get political though - unless you discover she hates Trump. ( I have never met anyone who actually likes him)
unaManzana
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 days ago
guys, I just got back I feel like a ****ing loser wtf
it was so nice, we had so many conversations barely any awkward silences. we were sitting on the bench, she was getting close to me and we were talking. i know she wanted to kiss me she kept hinting it. I feel like a loser. why am I a socially awkward/anxious guy wtf. why am I so shy. I thought I was doing well with everything I tried e.g. boxing, dance classes. seemed like nothing worked. I didn't even hug her goodbye. wow I feel stupid
Greywolftwo
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
guys, I just got back I feel like a ****ing loser wtf
it was so nice, we had so many conversations barely any awkward silences. we were sitting on the bench, she was getting close to me and we were talking. i know she wanted to kiss me she kept hinting it. I feel like a loser. why am I a socially awkward/anxious guy wtf. why am I so shy. I thought I was doing well with everything I tried e.g. boxing, dance classes. seemed like nothing worked. I didn't even hug her goodbye. wow I feel stupid
Well if it all went well apart from that then go on another one and try again next time
unaManzana
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 day ago
(Original post by Greywolftwo)
Well if it all went well apart from that then go on another one and try again next time
idk man I spoke to her about it lol and she said you lost your chance 😂😂
I'm just some socially awkward mess
Greywolftwo
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
idk man I spoke to her about it lol and she said you lost your chance 😂😂
I'm just some socially awkward mess
Shame
harrisong12
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
Man, I have bad social anxiety and I would die for an opportunity like that. I understand it's hard but you need to put yourself in difficult situations to prevent this happening in the future, judging by your thread, the girl seems nice. I would maybe convince her to give you a second chance.
unaManzana
Rep:
?
(Original post by squeakysquirrel)
Ask her about the USA - don't get political though - unless you discover she hates Trump. ( I have never met anyone who actually likes him)
I did this lol it made for some good convos.

difference in UK slang Vs USA
etc..
unaManzana
Rep:
?
(Original post by harrisong12)
Man, I have bad social anxiety and I would die for an opportunity like that. I understand it's hard but you need to put yourself in difficult situations to prevent this happening in the future, judging by your thread, the girl seems nice. I would maybe convince her to give you a second chance.
the reason why I went out with her was so I could put myself in an uncomfortable situation and learn from it and grow from it.

I made so many mistakes yesterday lol but I did learn from it tbh.

private message me man we can overcome this social anxiety together
unaManzana
Rep:
?
(Original post by Cantab_UCL)
May I make a helpful suggestion? Keep it simple. Where are you thinking of taking her? The first time I took a girl out, it was the cinema followed by Pizza Hut buffet (purposely capped it at £25).
I took her to a museum,

(Original post by roseabates)
This might sound strange but don't be afraid to talk to her about your social anxiety, it will provide you with a topic of conversation and bring you two closer. Also ask her about herself as everyone likes to talk about themselves and have a few funny anecdotes you can throw in. A lot of girls find shyer boys cute so it might work as an angle for you ahah...
Good luck and tell us how it goes!!
I actually did do this because you suggested it lol
the other poster was right, she also did struggle with social anxiety in the past.

one thing that pissed me off was that I felt like I was talking a lot, and I was proud of it lol but then she said you barely talk lmao
roseabates
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
I actually did do this because you suggested it lol
the other poster was right, she also did struggle with social anxiety in the past.

one thing that pissed me off was that I felt like I was talking a lot, and I was proud of it lol but then she said you barely talk lmao
well done! Sorry to hear that but small steps right. How was it otherwise? Do you think you two will go out again? X
unaManzana
Rep:
?
(Original post by roseabates)
well done! Sorry to hear that but small steps right. How was it otherwise? Do you think you two will go out again? X
I'm actually not sure lol
she messaged me as soon as she got home, she told me she had a nice time etc. and she's still messaging me. it's hard to tell since she said I missed my chance lol it's hard to tell rn
roseabates
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
I'm actually not sure lol
she messaged me as soon as she got home, she told me she had a nice time etc. and she's still messaging me. it's hard to tell since she said I missed my chance lol it's hard to tell rn
This girl sounds tricky.. But then again most of us are confusing lol. Best of luck mate
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you registered to vote?

18-20 years old (yes) (259)
54.18%
18-20 years old (no) (62)
12.97%
20-25 years old (yes) (80)
16.74%
20-25 years old (no) (9)
1.88%
25-30 years old (yes) (25)
5.23%