livingeng
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
So I'm in my third and final year of uni and am currently doing my final placement, I have another 6 weeks to go until it ends. I've done well in both of my previous placements but throughout this placement I'm starting to think that teaching really isn't for me. Obviously we have been given more responsibility and I'm thinking that could be what's scared me, I don't feel like Im ready or trained to run a whole classroom. I just had an awful observation where I was teaching a subject I had never taught before and was told the headteacher would be observing me. Other than this the school have been nothing but supportive. However she gave me a second go and told me that this lesson was much better than the one she had originally observed.
However, my organisation skills just aren't there, I had PPA time the other week, expecting my teacher to cover my lesson and get worked finished from the morning but somehow none of the children got anything done? So some are now missing worksheets but we're moving on and have no time to finish.

Anyway, I'm coming home every night feeling like a complete failure. I dont feel like this is where my heart lies anymore but also don't know if I'm just stressed and panicking.
Everyone is so proud of me and dont realise how I'm feeling. I've never quit anything before either.

I don't know what to do or how to feel, please help.
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by livingeng)
So I'm in my third and final year of uni and am currently doing my final placement, I have another 6 weeks to go until it ends. I've done well in both of my previous placements but throughout this placement I'm starting to think that teaching really isn't for me. Obviously we have been given more responsibility and I'm thinking that could be what's scared me, I don't feel like Im ready or trained to run a whole classroom. I just had an awful observation where I was teaching a subject I had never taught before and was told the headteacher would be observing me. Other than this the school have been nothing but supportive. However she gave me a second go and told me that this lesson was much better than the one she had originally observed.
However, my organisation skills just aren't there, I had PPA time the other week, expecting my teacher to cover my lesson and get worked finished from the morning but somehow none of the children got anything done? So some are now missing worksheets but we're moving on and have no time to finish.

Anyway, I'm coming home every night feeling like a complete failure. I dont feel like this is where my heart lies anymore but also don't know if I'm just stressed and panicking.
Everyone is so proud of me and dont realise how I'm feeling. I've never quit anything before either.

This is a really tricky situation to be in. My concern is that if you drop out of your degree now, you won't get funding for another one. Having a full degree will help you in the future, even if you don't go on to be a teacher.

Have you talked to your mentor in school about how you are feeling? What about your university tutor? Things like the unfinished worksheets are definitely something to talk through with your mentor to figure out what to do next!

If you haven't had full classroom responsibility before, then you will learn so much in the next six weeks (although it is a steep learning curve).

I do think if you can get through the placement and finish the year, it will put you in a much stronger position than dropping out now- even if you decide you don't want to teach!
ARUStudents
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by livingeng)

Hi Livingeng,

I am sorry you were feeling like this and I hope that things look a bit brighter today. As you said, you have only 6 weeks to go and you have done well up until now, it would be such a shame to let all your hard work go to waste.

I can assure you that every teacher at one time or another has felt like you do now. It's not an easy vocation, but it's the rewards that you get from the children that make it all worth it.

I would ask you to give yourself some slack. You have been working hard for three years, your headteacher confirmed they saw improvement between the observations which shows you are still learning and improving. Everything else will come with time.

It may help to try and refocus on why you wanted to train as a teacher to start with, get through these last few weeks which, on the run-up to Christmas will be quite busy so will fly by. Once you have finished the 6-weeks and have had a break, see how you feel then. Tired and stressed is not the place to be making big decisions.

I hope things get brighter for you.

Take care
Katrina
(Primary Education Studies student)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (190)
19.11%
Labour (425)
42.76%
Liberal Democrats (194)
19.52%
Green Party (53)
5.33%
Brexit Party (26)
2.62%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (4)
0.4%
SNP (12)
1.21%
Plaid Cymru (10)
1.01%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (1)
0.1%
Sinn Fein (2)
0.2%
SDLP (1)
0.1%
Ulster Unionist (2)