The Student Room Group

Computer Science 2020 entry.

I am considering between QMUL and Cardiff to do computer science. I wanted to know which University would be better to attend to for employment after university? Which university will still be one of the top unis in the future? Which university has the better internships during university as QMUL is quite near London where most internships would likely be but Cardiff isn't? Also is the degree from a University of London worth more in the employment market than one from Cardiff? Cheers for any response.
Original post by TahmidU11
I am considering between QMUL and Cardiff to do computer science. I wanted to know which University would be better to attend to for employment after university? Which university will still be one of the top unis in the future? Which university has the better internships during university as QMUL is quite near London where most internships would likely be but Cardiff isn't? Also is the degree from a University of London worth more in the employment market than one from Cardiff? Cheers for any response.

If you really have the grades please go to UCL. You won't regret. I promise you! They are excellent for that subject. You could be even more creative.
Reply 2
Original post by thelocalkid
If you really have the grades please go to UCL. You won't regret. I promise you! They are excellent for that subject. You could be even more creative.

Thanks for a response. I was choosing between these two due to the requirements need and the specific subjects required too as I dont have A-Level Maths.
Thanks for a response. I was choosing between these two due to the requirements need and the specific subjects required too as I dont have A-Level Maths.

I understand but, in order to join computer science in UCL you do need A level Math. Time for you to look university that don't require A level math.

check these TSR links it might help you. These people are asking the same question you're asking (Computer Science without A level)

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4985946

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4766018

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5689784
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by thelocalkid
I understand but, in order to join computer science in UCL you do need A level Math. Time for you to look university that don't require A level math.

check these TSR links it might help you. These people are asking the same question you're asking (Computer Science without A level)

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4985946

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4766018

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5689784

I really appreciate your reply and links you gave. I know unis require A-Level Math but still with my A-Levels I can get into some unis due to Physics. Do you yourself know anyone in QMUL doing Comp Sci? How they find it? How the employment is like?

I also wanted to know if I do a foundation year in one University for Comp Sci, can I apply to universities like Kings College London to do Comp sci? Or can I transfer from one uni to another after the first year?

If you didn't do A-level maths then King's College London is the best London uni for CS.

I went there so may be a bit biased, but their world ranking is very high. Furthermore, I landed 3 internships each summer and a very well paying graduate software engineering job in finance. Every interview I went to the interviewer was impressed by the fact I went to King's.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Kinococo
If you didn't do A-level maths then King's College London is the best London uni for CS.

I went there so may be a bit biased, but their world ranking is very high. Furthermore, I landed 3 internships each summer and a very well paying graduate software engineering job in finance. Every interview I went to the interviewer was impressed by the fact I went to King's.

Thanks for the response. What were your A-Levels? What grades did you achieve? I was also looking to be a software engineer in finance too, how is the role like?
hi! i got offers from King’s, Nottingham, Birmingham and Sheffield for Comp Sci with a Year in Industry. i’m still waiting for Manchester. King’s was my dream college but i saw some controversial opinions on thei CS course. how is it like? is it worth it? is it theoretical based than practical?

Original post by Kinococo

(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by alexia.ambrus
hi! i got offers from King’s, Nottingham, Birmingham and Sheffield for Comp Sci with a Year in Industry. i’m still waiting for Manchester. King’s was my dream college but i saw some controversial opinions on thei CS course. how is it like? is it worth it? is it theoretical based than practical?

I thought there was a good mixture between theoretical and practical.

it's not as maths heavy as some other CS degrees, but will set you up well for a job as a software engineer.
Hi, are you got any chance an international student? Or have already achieved your a level grades? Because everyone I know in my head who have applied for kings college haven’t got an offer/rejection yet but I’ve seen online a few gap year students / international students who have. Also if you don’t mind me asking, what course did you apply for? The G400 code?

Original post by alexia.ambrus
Original post by THEgurlxo
Hi, are you got any chance an international student? Or have already achieved your a level grades? Because everyone I know in my head who have applied for kings college haven’t got an offer/rejection yet but I’ve seen online a few gap year students / international students who have. Also if you don’t mind me asking, what course did you apply for? The G400 code?

hii! yes, i am an international student. i’m in my senior year and i have my exams in June 2020. i guess i got an offer based on my predicted grades as they met the entry requirements idk🤷*♀️ my predicted grades in the Romanian Baccalaureate Exam are overall 9.6/10 with 10/10 in Maths, 9.5/10 in Physics and 9.5/10 in Romanian Language, which are the equivalent of A*A*A* or A*AA, i’m not really sure. and the code for the course i chose is G405 Comp Sci with a Year in Industry
Is anyone firming Uni of Sheffield for Computer Science? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending