The Student Room Group

Exeter or Loughborough Economics?

I have received an unconditional from Loughborough for economics and need to achieve a B grade in my maths resit this year for my Exeter economics offer. Can anyone give some insight on what the unis are like, pros and cons of each, and which would be better for future job prospects? Cheers
Original post by brokeboi21
I have received an unconditional from Loughborough for economics and need to achieve a B grade in my maths resit this year for my Exeter economics offer. Can anyone give some insight on what the unis are like, pros and cons of each, and which would be better for future job prospects? Cheers

Hi @brokeboi21,

Congrats on your offer from us!

Loughborough is a great and friendly campus that provides a safe community environment for students. There is so much on campus that you could easily get away with not going into town during your first year, but I would not recommend that. The students union offers a lot for you to get involved with too with a real mix of clubs and societies, as well as events like pick a project night where you can sign up to trek to Everest base camp. There are so many things to get involved in you will find something to suit you.

Despite often getting a bad rep for being a small town there is a lot to do. We have two cinemas, various activities like laser quest and escape rooms, some lovely nearby parks that are great to go to during exam periods to destress and there are tonnes of places to eat with some well known chains but also smaller locally owned cafes. Plus the train station is not too far away from campus (10 minute drive/taxi, easily walkable) and this means you can pop out to Leicester or Nottingham for a day out or an evening if you wished. My group of friends usually go to the Christmas Market in Nottingham cause it's so easy to get to.

I can honestly say I have not encountered any major cons in my time at Loughborough. Some people do say you can get bored after first or second year, but that was never the case for me as I always found new things to do or try and I still am. I guess as is the case with all universities you get out what you put in, both academically and socially. I never visited Exeter as for me it was too far so I discounted it straight away as an option, but it is a good uni and I have had friends that have loved it there too. Hopefully someone from @Exeter University gets back to you so that you can chat to them about it.

Any more questions about Loughborough let me know, but hope this helps in the mean time!

Best wishes,
Emily :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Loughborough University
Hi @brokeboi21,

Congrats on your offer from us!

Loughborough is a great and friendly campus that provides a safe community environment for students. There is so much on campus that you could easily get away with not going into town during your first year, but I would not recommend that. The students union offers a lot for you to get involved with too with a real mix of clubs and societies, as well as events like pick a project night where you can sign up to trek to Everest base camp. There are so many things to get involved in you will find something to suit you.

Despite often getting a bad rep for being a small town there is a lot to do. We have two cinemas, various activities like laser quest and escape rooms, some lovely nearby parks that are great to go to during exam periods to destress and there are tonnes of places to eat with some well known chains but also smaller locally owned cafes. Plus the train station is not too far away from campus (10 minute drive/taxi, easily walkable) and this means you can pop out to Leicester or Nottingham for a day out or an evening if you wished. My group of friends usually go to the Christmas Market in Nottingham cause it's so easy to get to.

I can honestly say I have not encountered any major cons in my time at Loughborough. Some people do say you can get bored after first or second year, but that was never the case for me as I always found new things to do or try and I still am. I guess as is the case with all universities you get out what you put in, both academically and socially. I never visited Exeter as for me it was too far so I discounted it straight away as an option, but it is a good uni and I have had friends that have loved it there too. Hopefully someone from @Exeter University gets back to you so that you can chat to them about it.

Any more questions about Loughborough let me know, but hope this helps in the mean time!

Best wishes,
Emily :smile:

Hi, thanks for the response and giving much more clarity on Loughborough as before now I knew nothing about the town, I think I will be going to the offer holders day to get a good understanding of the uni and town also. My main focus is going to a good uni so Loughborough already sounds great. Appreciate the response
Original post by brokeboi21
Hi, thanks for the response and giving much more clarity on Loughborough as before now I knew nothing about the town, I think I will be going to the offer holders day to get a good understanding of the uni and town also. My main focus is going to a good uni so Loughborough already sounds great. Appreciate the response

That's great! Hopefully the offer holder day will help you get a feel for Loughborough. Ask the course directors and the ambassadors any questions while you're there as they will be able to give you specific information!

Any more questions feel free to ask.

Best Wishes,
Emily
Reply 4
When did u apply to Loughborough and how long did they take to get back to you?
Reply 5
Original post by Keval02
When did u apply to Loughborough and how long did they take to get back to you?

My application was sent off on 25th October and they replied on the 5th of November

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending