The Student Room Group

Why should i study maths a levels?

Why should i study maths? I really enjoy it but what are more reasons to study maths
Probably slightly biased as I'm a maths geek who takes both maths & further maths, but I'll compose you a list :tongue:

1) Maths is so useful! Essentially every STEM degree as well as economics/finance degree either require it, or prefer you have it.
2) All the stuff you learnt at GCSE & below was just surface level; A Level maths is such a step up but it expands your mind so much, believe me. It'll slowly start unravelling the beauty & usefulness of mathematics.
3) Its good for your brain!
4) Gives you problem-solving skills that no other subject can.
5) Math is all around you in the real world; its applicable almost everywhere you look. Thus, maths will give you a better understanding of how the world works.
6) It's satisfying
7) It isn't a bore to revise for; in my opinion, revising for maths is more fun than revising for other subjects. Its like.. Would you rather mindlessly answer Past Paper Questions (like you do for other subjects), or solve problems & puzzles? The latter for me!
8) Its fun!
Original post by hypez
Why should i study maths? I really enjoy it but what are more reasons to study maths

If you want to start understand mathematical concepts with real power I would say do maths & further maths A-levels.

At GCSE your still really just doing basics, learning about calculus is imo a huge skill, almost everything in the world is owed in some degree to calculus. But you will also learn a lot more about algebra & trigonometry and many other things.

I think further is particularly worthwhile if your a top maths student, it pushes your understanding of some really powerful tools used in engineering, physics, economics etc.

Why else? I think maths generally helps with general problem solving & logic which are just useful attributes to have, its like exercising your brain

Quick Reply

Latest