Ankle: state thereof? what is the prognosis doctor? Watch

MeAndBubbles
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Hi guys!

It's comical, my second run I pulled my right calf and had to walk like a cripple. And then there's the right hip....

Meanwhile...months later.... i sometimes get an ache in the right ankle when resting, 1 out 10 pain level or less. No soreness whatsoever when I press it, but I can see a small patch of bloody veins at the ankle joint(left side of right foot, the epicentre 2 1/2 inches up from base).

the aching used to be more regular and now I don't notice it much, only yesterday after a 10 mile walk.. feet up...., but absolutely nothing right now.

what might have happened to my ankle last year, when I was running? I've got this bloody area on the ankle:eek: Is this a kinda lasting scar from over doing it, and that's all? I'm hoping someone will say it's just a scar and nothing more.
lincs_b
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Ligament and tendon damage takes ages to clear up completely, but for how long this has been going on I would go to the doctors.
MeAndBubbles
Rep:
?
(Original post by lincs_b)
Ligament and tendon damage takes ages to clear up completely, but for how long this has been going on I would go to the doctors.
I don't do doctors and dentists. I'm shy.

Thanks though, I think it's clearing up slowly.
Bear_Grylls
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by MeAndBubbles)
I don't do doctors and dentists. I'm shy.
What?

Its only for a ankle, you really should goto the doctors, ages ago i badly twisted my ankle, and the docs referred me to a physiopherapist and gave me excercises to do.
Bateman
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Bear_Grylls)
What?

Its only for a ankle, you really should goto the doctors, ages ago i badly twisted my ankle, and the docs referred me to a physiopherapist and gave me excercises to do.

You're sig is great lol.
Misogynist
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Hi guys!

It's comical, my second run I pulled my right calf and had to walk like a cripple. And then there's the right hip....

Meanwhile...months later.... i sometimes get an ache in the right ankle when resting, 1 out 10 pain level or less. No soreness whatsoever when I press it, but I can see a small patch of bloody veins at the ankle joint(left side of right foot, the epicentre 2 1/2 inches up from base).

the aching used to be more regular and now I don't notice it much, only yesterday after a 10 mile walk.. feet up...., but absolutely nothing right now.

what might have happened to my ankle last year, when I was running? I've got this bloody area on the ankle:eek: Is this a kinda lasting scar from over doing it, and that's all? I'm hoping someone will say it's just a scar and nothing more.
The area you indicated in the medial aspect of the talocrural joint is articulated by the deltoid ligament, The only way you could have sprained it is blunt force trauma in the median plane superiorly to the plantar aspect of your foot - A side effect of bad running shoes, running on an uneven surface or bad posture while running.

A sprain in a ligament causes a significant amount of pain however, so it's probably not that, unless it's a Grade I sprain which would cause a certain amount of swelling, but it'd be very painful while running.

So, It's a case hard to diagnose. You probably have ligament damage, but to such a small degree it's just caused inflammation in the area.

Don't run for a few weeks, see if the problem persists. If not, see a doctor.
MeAndBubbles
Rep:
?
(Original post by Misogynist)
The area you indicated in the medial aspect of the talocrural joint is articulated by the deltoid ligament, The only way you could have sprained it is blunt force trauma in the median plane superiorly to the plantar aspect of your foot - A side effect of bad running shoes, running on an uneven surface or bad posture while running.

A sprain in a ligament causes a significant amount of pain however, so it's probably not that, unless it's a Grade I sprain which would cause a certain amount of swelling, but it'd be very painful while running.

So, It's a case hard to diagnose. You probably have ligament damage, but to such a small degree it's just caused inflammation in the area.

Don't run for a few weeks, see if the problem persists. If not, see a doctor.
Thanks for that.

I checked out some photos. The bruising I have is like a sprained ankle so it appears, except not even maybe a grade 1, it's so small the area.

You're entirely correct in your diagnosis doctor! I kinda remember running on a slanting path, and thinking this isn't good. I'm well overweight and was running holding a 8kg weight on the same right side, plus poor trainers, then standing for a few hours. Along the way I've exceeded the mechanical stress of the ankle bone, if it is a strain. There is bruising so I must have tore the ligament or tendon I suppose. No signs of the bruising dissappearing, had it for a year now. I wonder why it doesn't disappear? The broken blood vessels have set I suppose. I was feeling the area 3 hours ago and it is warmer than the left ankle, as you say it's an inflammation. Now it's cold again. Probably I inflamed it walking 10 miles yesterday.
MeAndBubbles
Rep:
?

This is the area of a deltoid ligament. Perfect, except mine is 1/10 the size and pink in colour.

Although the photo supports your theory, however I just read that damage to the ligament is very unusual, so it might be another ligament.
Misogynist
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
The deltoid ligament is the only ligament present on the medial aspect of the foot. The other three are lateral.

It's not 'very' unusual, It's quite unusual. Because for a sprain in that area, your foot needs to be hyperextended laterally, which isn't a situation many people get in. It can also be caused by running on an uneven surface, the medial side of the leg conducts most of the weight of the body and hence it recieves the most stress. So ligament damage to that area isn't that unusual but in comparison to a lateral ligament tear, it is.

I really doubt you've torn the ligament completely, as you'd be in too much pain to type, walk or basically do anything than lie down. It's probably a sprain, and if you continue to walk or run with a sprain, it will get worse.

Healing time should be from around 3-5 months if it's ligament damage.
Bear_Grylls
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Ah ****, i really didnt wanna see that pic while eating my breakkie
MeAndBubbles
Rep:
?
(Original post by Bear_Grylls)
Ah ****, i really didnt wanna see that pic while eating my breakkie
lol
MeAndBubbles
Rep:
?
The deltoid ligament is the only ligament present on the medial aspect of the foot. The other three are lateral.

It's not 'very' unusual, It's quite unusual. Because for a sprain in that area, your foot needs to be hyperextended laterally, which isn't a situation many people get in. It can also be caused by running on an uneven surface, the medial side of the leg conducts most of the weight of the body and hence it recieves the most stress. So ligament damage to that area isn't that unusual but in comparison to a lateral ligament tear, it is.

I really doubt you've torn the ligament completely, as you'd be in too much pain to type, walk or basically do anything than lie down. It's probably a sprain, and if you continue to walk or run with a sprain, it will get worse.

Healing time should be from around 3-5 months if it's ligament damage.
It's hardly a sprain though, but I did stop running as a precaution and walked instead. By the way it's a year later now. By uneven, do you mean slanting? Or do you mean like on grass? Because I didn't twist the foot and only ran on a slanting path.

By medial, that's the inside. So is it more common for the outside to have bruising. I'm recovered enough to run again, but don't intend to yet.

Thanks for your help.
Misogynist
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
It's hardly a sprain though, but I did stop running as a precaution and walked instead. By the way it's a year later now. By uneven, do you mean slanting? Or do you mean like on grass? Because I didn't twist the foot and only ran on a slanting path.

By medial, that's the inside. So is it more common for the outside to have bruising. I'm recovered enough to run again, but don't intend to yet.

Thanks for your help.
Ligament damage tends to heal very slowly. I almost avulsed my ulnar collateral ligament (and therefore the ulna) weight lifting in January 2007. My wrist STILL isn't completely healed, and I've been taking glucosamine and performing physiotherapy ever since I could.

You'd be surprised how long the pain will persist.
MeAndBubbles
Rep:
?
Ligament damage tends to heal very slowly. I almost avulsed my ulnar collateral ligament (and therefore the ulna) weight lifting in January 2007. My wrist STILL isn't completely healed, and I've been taking glucosamine and performing physiotherapy ever since I could.

You'd be surprised how long the pain will persist.
Thanks doc, just what I wanted to hear! you've been reassuring. "Avulsed", I like that word.

And the older you get the longer it will takes.
Misogynist
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Thanks doc, just what I wanted to hear! you've been reassuring. "Avulsed", I like that word.

And the older you get the longer it will takes.
Oh, I forgot to answer one of your questions. Yes, Running uphill (steep) would be called an 'uneven' surface. It typically refers to something as a cobblestone road, or a bad footpath though. Any surface which causes extension or flexion of the foot in opposition to the normal tone of a ligament is an uneven surface.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (432)
37.47%
No - but I will (88)
7.63%
No - I don't want to (79)
6.85%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (554)
48.05%

Watched Threads