The Student Room Group

Why are the younger generation not wearing poppies?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Greywolftwo
Well it’s respectful, this just shows your character and attitude to such matters

Is it? The poppy is the symbol of the Poppy appeal, the RBL's chance to raise some money to help veterans and their families. Bypassing that charity isn't respectful.

Obviously not saying all those who do home made poppies are bypassing the charity, but an awful lot are.
When I used to live in London, (I was a super little kid back then) I loved wearing the poppy... I miss it so much
i was wearing this shirt last week did people think i was wearing it out of remembrance because i didnt even realise until a few seconds ago
Original post by Greywolftwo
Well it’s respectful, this just shows your character and attitude to such matters

Not at all, it shows your character whereby you think the only way to be respectful is to wear a poppy. You can be respectful without wearing one, deal with it.

I do think there is a moral high ground element to it with some people, “ooo I have to broadcast how respectful I am by wearing this poppy”. Especially when professionals like certain newsreaders or whatnot start getting bullied and demonised if they’re spotted not wearing one; that’s where the holier than thou attitude rears its ugly head.
(edited 4 years ago)
also heads up im. actually not against poppies at all, i helped sell them at one point a few years back and its amazing how many ppl bought them
Original post by Drewski
Is it? The poppy is the symbol of the Poppy appeal, the RBL's chance to raise some money to help veterans and their families. Bypassing that charity isn't respectful.

Obviously not saying all those who do home made poppies are bypassing the charity, but an awful lot are.

Sorry, meant to say it’s disrespectful, typo on my part
Original post by Drewski

Meant to say that they were disrespectful and that it’s respectful to wear a poppy
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
Not at all, it shows your character whereby you think the only way to be respectful is to wear a poppy. You can be respectful without wearing one, deal with it.

I know but what I’m saying is that it’s also nice because you are donating money by doing so, like the Christmas jumper day you must have had at school or the wear your own clothes day, you had to bring in £1 and you got to wear your own clothes and the money was donated to charity
no one asked but heres the shirt
IMG_20191111_104515611.jpg
i think theyre poppies? ive been known to be a dumbass on multiple occasions and i know they dont have the black center which is confusing
(edited 4 years ago)
I'm doing my a-levels and I wear a metal pin, I know some uniforms don't allow pins so people wear the bracelets. I'm one of eight children, every single one of us wears a poppy. my father is an immigrant and I'm not fully English but I wear one outta respect as my mothers side of the family were victims of the holocaust. (shes part Jewish and gypsy) I think for a lot of people it is the distancing from the war. My father's side wasn't as affected and I've noticed my aunts and uncles don't wear a poppy...
Original post by OR321
32 :wink:

Ur notifications must be poppin
Original post by davesantana
Ur notifications must be poppin

Lmao nah. All my other posts turn to dust 😂
Original post by fireballxray
Being in my early 20's and i've always paid my respects to the fallen, i can't quite understand why people don't wear the poppy in England?

Im at Uni and i'm the only guy in my class and not a single girl wears the poppy, yet when it's pride month they're all wearing LGQBT stuff (not that i have anything against that). It just seems weird that these people will celebrate and pay their respects to one thing but not the other?

I feel people are completely and utterly out of touch with quite big things. The younger generation feel the older generation are out of touch with the environment because it won't affect them, and they find it stupid that they think that.

Its the same for the younger generation when it comes to paying their respect to the fallen, due to not having a connection or that it was in the pass.

The reason i wear the poppy is to remember all that have fallen, past, present and in the future.

Wear the poppy with pride people, these people experienced the closest simulation of hell in their final moments.

Cause I hate Gen Z (I am part of Gen Z. they are snobby, addicted to social media trying to be the next "it" girl/boy (some of them), some are spoiled (in the western world etc)) I am kind of disappointed/annoyed that the soldiers had to risk their lives for us they must be rolling around in their graves right now I certainly would... Gen Z deserve nothing other that to be properly educated... sorry for the stereotypes and offence but tbh this year was the only year where i didn't wear a poppy mainly because i didn't have one and my school are were/are not selling any... I would have 100% worn one if they were selling them... dang it i could have gone to the local convenient store to buy one.
Original post by 1st superstar
Cause I hate Gen Z (I am part of Gen Z. they are snobby, addicted to social media trying to be the next "it" girl/boy (some of them), some are spoiled (in the western world etc)) I am kind of disappointed/annoyed that the soldiers had to risk their lives for us they must be rolling around in their graves right now I certainly would... Gen Z deserve nothing other that to be properly educated... sorry for the stereotypes and offence but tbh this year was the only year where i didn't wear a poppy mainly because i didn't have one and my school are were/are not selling any... I would have 100% worn one if they were selling them... dang it i could have gone to the local convenient store to buy one.

That are just young, most will mature.
Original post by DiddyDecAlt
That are just young, most will mature.

hmm i doubt that many are drinking, smoking, vaping, doing drugs, asking "mummy and daddy for a £1000 phone for Christmas despite getting all U's, constantly uploading on social media etc. I have no faith in humanity...
Argumentum ad populum remains a logical fallacy regardless of the analogy used to explain it.

Check you out!
Original post by 1st superstar
hmm i doubt that many are drinking, smoking, vaping, doing drugs, asking "mummy and daddy for a £1000 phone for Christmas despite getting all U's, constantly uploading on social media etc. I have no faith in humanity...

Sounds like the millennial generation when we were still young.
Original post by Reality Check
Check you out!

Not just a pretty face :flutter:
Not just a pretty face :flutter:

Indeed :smile: But this would require me to take something seriously, which I am pathologically incapable of doing.

It was a good observation, by the way.
Sounds like the millennial generation when we were still young.

great...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending