Form sent earlier than UCAS? (before 15th Oct.) Watch

Electric_Dreams
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
*BUMP* and edit.

It turns out that the official line from my head of year is that UCAS will be sent off before the 15th Sept. for Oxbridge and then the other choices will be added on after the deadline so it looks like you're not applying.
Apparently many schools already do this but SURELY it can't work?!

It's a bit worrying as my friends seem to totally trust this method and when I said "I have never, ever heard of this being allowed to happen" they just laughed and asked when I'd been having dinner with UCAS officials. :p:

It was funny I guess, but not if this all screws up their application.
Sorry for bumping, it's just that the info is hopefully more clearer now.
secretmessages
Badges: 14
Report 10 years ago
Well, universities can guess whether you've applied to Oxbridge if they get your application earlier than most, but there are also loads and loads of non-Oxbridge applications sent before the Oxbridge deadline too. It would be unprofessional for universities to either guess whether you've applied to Oxbridge or not, and to let that influence whether they give you an offer or not. Don't worry about it, I've known plenty of other people in the past in the same situation, and they didn't have any trouble getting offers from elsewhere.
Electric_Dreams
Rep:
?
(Original post by secretmessages)
Well, universities can guess whether you've applied to Oxbridge if they get your application earlier than most, but there are also loads and loads of non-Oxbridge applications sent before the Oxbridge deadline too. It would be unprofessional for universities to either guess whether you've applied to Oxbridge or not, and to let that influence whether they give you an offer or not. Don't worry about it, I've known plenty of other people in the past in the same situation, and they didn't have any trouble getting offers from elsewhere.
I suppose... but have you heard that it is actually changing anyway?
secretmessages
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Electric_Dreams)
I suppose... but have you heard that it is actually changing anyway?
Probably not. Changing how?

Edit: Oh I see, I misunderstood the original post. Yes I'm not sure about it. If Oxbridge receive an application without all the UCAS details, they cannot do anything with it. Everything goes through UCAS. If it is changing then I haven't heard anything about it.
stadev
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Well what happens when Oxbridge get your form but with no UCAS application corresponding to it?

Bin, that's what happens...
Electric_Dreams
Rep:
?
(Original post by secretmessages)
Probably not. Changing how?
The special application form would be sent off and processed through Oxbridge before the UCAS, so you could send off your UCAS later and therefore decline to show you were applying... I'm not sure that would work though... and plus it could be pointless anyway. :confused:

EDIT: Just saw your edit, sorry for the confusion!
Yeh that's what I would have thought... and I am sure I would have heard about it on here before, but I am sure that is what he said.
Speedbird2008
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
There is no longer a CAF...
secretmessages
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Electric_Dreams)
The special application form would be sent off and processed through Oxbridge before the UCAS, so you could send off your UCAS later and therefore decline to show you were applying... I'm not sure that would work though... and plus it could be pointless anyway. :confused:

EDIT: Just saw your edit, sorry for the confusion!
Yeh that's what I would have thought... and I am sure I would have heard about it on here before, but I am sure that is what he said.
I'm very wary of this. Have a look at this timeline from UCAS. It still says that the deadline is October 15th, and this is official from UCAS, so to me it looks like your UCAS application still has to be in by that deadline. I'm not sure though, just make sure your school knows what it's doing. Additionally, I don't think Oxbridge (or at least one of Oxford and Cambridge) are actually doing their separate application forms anymore, I think it may be all through UCAS.
Electric_Dreams
Rep:
?
So the deadline is still the 15th but you don't need to complete the form?
Is it just Oxford who have got rid of the form?
Hmmm... I don't think he has a clue now, but thankfully I probably wont be applying, just wanted to check with everyone else on here.
secretmessages
Report 10 years ago
Your school will know what to do. Just make sure your UCAS is finished and sent off by October 15th if you're applying for Oxbridge, and that you've completed any other relevant forms if necessary.
FadedJade
  • CV Helper
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Any forms you have to fill in for Oxford or Cambridge must be completed and in their hand by October 15th at the latest.

Please don't get confused, and don't let your school send it off after the 15th, if they do they Cambridge/Oxford will not process your application.
rkd
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Both the OAF and CAF have been abolished this year - but yes, you must have your UCAS completely submitted by the 15th.
epitome
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Everything goes through UCAS. This means that UCAS stuff, for Oxbridge applicants (and medical/vet med applicants everywhere, I think), MUST be sent off before the deadline.

It doesn't matter if other universities know your app. has also gone to Oxbridge. They'll often be able to guess, anyway, from the quality of the application. Many people who apply to Oxbridge get offers from everywhere else they apply too. Universities want to get the best students, and even those amongst the best get rejected from Oxbridge. Your head of year is BEING A COMPLETE IDIOT; and if he doesn't send your complete application off in good time, he is very likely jeapordising your place at Oxbridge before your application has even been read.
lauuuura
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I don't know if this has been said already, but although you have to send your UCAS and any other things to Oxbridge by the 15th, you can, if you like, only submit your application to Oxbridge, and apparently you can add other choices later so that they don't know.

If I had know this when I applied I would have definitely sent my others in later, as I'm pretty convinced Durham try to work out whether you are Oxbridge or not, and if you are, reject you. A friend of mine has an offer to study MML at Cambridge and was rejected by Durham. So was someone I know who has an Oxford Classics offer. I only got my offer after countless phone calls and didn't get it until the end of April, because I think they were trying to work out if I was Oxbridge or not. Althogh most universities, as epitome said, will want the best candidates, so even if they suspect - which they probably will if it arrives before the 15th and from your grades etc (mine fooled them!!) - they will probably want you!

But Oxbridge still have to recieve your UCAS form before the 15th.
linkdapink
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I sent my UCAS off before 15th and was NOT applying to Oxbridge? This didn't jeopardise my place, as I got offers everywhere. My grades will have convinced them that I wasn't going to oxford as I only got AAB, and didn't have many extra-curricular.
epitome
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by linkdapink)
I sent my UCAS off before 15th and was NOT applying to Oxbridge? This didn't jeopardise my place, as I got offers everywhere. My grades will have convinced them that I wasn't going to oxford as I only got AAB, and didn't have many extra-curricular
Extra-curriculars do not an Oxbridge candidate make.

And a good few will have AAB. You could easily have been assumed to be an Oxbridge applicant.

This interuniversity paranoia doesn't help anyone, and it isn't true. And neither can we infer cause-effect from very specific cases (such as those lauuuura mentions), regarding top institutions rejecting candidates they suspect to be Oxbridge material. Most people, when applying to university, have an insurance choice. The reason Durham is often joked as being the place of 'Oxbridge rejects' is because it's one of the universities that Oxbridge applicants frequently put as their 2nd choice. It's totally in Durham's best interests to take the best people possible -- and this very much includes 'Oxbridge rejects'. As it is, Durham is a top-class university, and that's not least because it takes from exactly the same pool of people as do the Oxbridge universities. The same sort of thing applies to places such as Bristol. And then you get ones like Warwick, who are the 'Cambridge Maths reject' favourite (amongst others, like LSE).

It's really quite obvious, and there's no conspiracy: The universities want the best people they can get. They do not reject the best people just because they may have applied to Oxbridge.

NB: In the past, rivalry may well have been a bigger problem. We're talking about NOW.
ixivxivi
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Oh, perhaps you mean this: you can put yourself down as only applying to Oxbridge and do your UCAS stuff before the 15th Oct (online, I think now). Then you can fill in the extra 4 places online, up until whichever date the deadlines for all the unis is.

Please check this if you want to do this - I'm reasonably sure this is the right sort of idea, but I don't want you to miss out on offers because of my possibly dodgey info! Best to look it up on UCAS help - they ought to have something on it there.
AnubisX
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Well, I do not know how your head of year plans to send the special application forms off considering Oxford and Cambridge have abolished them for UK and EU students applying for 2009 entry. The only forms remaining are for schemes such as the Oxford Organ Scholarship and the Cambridge Special Access Scheme. Thus, the vast bulk of applicants do not need to fill in anything else than their UCAS form.

"Your UCAS application must be submitted by 15 October 2008 for entry in 2009" - Cambridge University Website

"All candidates wishing to apply to Oxford must submit a UCAS application online between 1 September and 15 October 2008." - Oxford University Website

With the abolition of both the Oxford and Cambridge Application Forms for UK and EU students making sure that your UCAS form is on off and on time has never been so important and so very clear! If your head of year refuses to send off your UCAS form on or before the 15th October they are putting your application at a series disadvantage. Oxbridge Colleges are well within their rights to ignore your application if it is sent after the 15th October, and the official line of both Universities is that your application is invalid as the above statements from the institutions show.

It is also worth noting that there was never any credibility to the rumours that non-Oxbridge Universities discriminate against Oxbridge candidates. There was some fuss a few years back that Durham might have rejected some candidates for Oxford and Cambridge but it is hardly uncommon for Durham, a competitive university, to reject a lot of candidates, many who might be also applying to Oxford or Cambridge. Oxford and Cambridge has a much fairer and comprehensive application process in comparison with Durham so it would not surprise me if Durham's less than 3 to 7 A* grades at GCSE or you do not get a place for many courses actually ends up rejecting a lot of very capable applicants who gain Oxbridge places.

To sum up, this plan of your school's staff which your head of year has told you about is frankly dangerous (for your application) and unnecessary.
Electric_Dreams
Rep:
?
(Original post by AnubisX)
Well, I do not know how your head of year plans to send the special application forms off considering Oxford and Cambridge have abolished them for UK and EU students applying for 2009 entry. The only forms remaining are for schemes such as the Oxford Organ Scholarship and the Cambridge Special Access Scheme. Thus, the vast bulk of applicants do not need to fill in anything else than their UCAS form.

"Your UCAS application must be submitted by 15 October 2008 for entry in 2009" - Cambridge University Website

"All candidates wishing to apply to Oxford must submit a UCAS application online between 1 September and 15 October 2008." - Oxford University Website

With the abolition of both the Oxford and Cambridge Application Forms for UK and EU students making sure that your UCAS form is on off and on time has never been so important and so very clear! If your head of year refuses to send off your UCAS form on or before the 15th October they are putting your application at a series disadvantage. Oxbridge Colleges are well within their rights to ignore your application if it is sent after the 15th October, and the official line of both Universities is that your application is invalid as the above statements from the institutions show.

It is also worth noting that there was never any credibility to the rumours that non-Oxbridge Universities discriminate against Oxbridge candidates. There was some fuss a few years back that Durham might have rejected some candidates for Oxford and Cambridge but it is hardly uncommon for Durham, a competitive university, to reject a lot of candidates, many who might be also applying to Oxford or Cambridge. Oxford and Cambridge has a much fairer and comprehensive application process in comparison with Durham so it would not surprise me if Durham's less than 3 to 7 A* grades at GCSE or you do not get a place for many courses actually ends up rejecting a lot of very capable applicants who gain Oxbridge places.

To sum up, this plan of your school's staff which your head of year has told you about is frankly dangerous (for your application) and unnecessary.
Thankyou very much, although I don't think I'll be applying now anyway, I'll let my friends know.
Thanks to everyone else too.
x
Electric_Dreams
Rep:
?
BUMP and TOTAL EDIT to the original post.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • University of East Anglia
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Primary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Health, Education, Medicine and Social Care; Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences; Business and Law; Science and Engineering Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (508)
37.71%
No - but I will (103)
7.65%
No - I don't want to (92)
6.83%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (644)
47.81%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise