Glass2019
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Ok, simple question -

I have a Psychology degree (2.1) and A levels Sociology (A), Psychology (A), Maths (C)

Will it be possible for me to teach Maths at GCSE / A level?

Thanks
Mona123456
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Glass2019)
Ok, simple question -

I have a Psychology degree (2.1) and A levels Sociology (A), Psychology (A), Maths (C)

Thanks
I’m by no means an expert so feel free to take this with a pinch of salt. But, I’d say yes, you could potentially teach Maths GCSE, no, you couldn’t teach Maths A Level. This is just my opinion, but from what I know to teach an A Level you must have a degree in a related subject; as Psychology is a social science and you achieved a C at A Level, you wouldn’t be able to teach A Level - you’d need ideally a Maths (single or joint honours) or maybe something like Theoretical Physics.

GCSE Maths you should be able to teach though. It really depends on the requirements of each school/job, and the type of job e.g. you’d more likely be able to do private GCSE Maths tutoring, but less likely able to be a Maths teacher in a school.

As previously mentioned though, this is just my opinion and could be wrong. But I’m fairly sure you wouldn’t be able to formally teach A Level Maths.
Mr M
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Ok, simple question -

Thanks
Yes to both. You might be asked to do a Subject Knowledge Enhancement Course at some institutions.
The Beaver
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Mona123456)
I’m by no means an expert so feel free to take this with a pinch of salt. But, I’d say yes, you could potentially teach Maths GCSE, no, you couldn’t teach Maths A Level. This is just my opinion, but from what I know to teach an A Level you must have a degree in a related subject; as Psychology is a social science and you achieved a C at A Level, you wouldn’t be able to teach A Level - you’d need ideally a Maths (single or joint honours) or maybe something like Theoretical Physics.

GCSE Maths you should be able to teach though. It really depends on the requirements of each school/job, and the type of job e.g. you’d more likely be able to do private GCSE Maths tutoring, but less likely able to be a Maths teacher in a school.

As previously mentioned though, this is just my opinion and could be wrong. But I’m fairly sure you wouldn’t be able to formally teach A Level Maths.
You can teach Maths A-Level without having a Maths A-Level yourself, there are many teachers who do. You just have to develop your subject knowledge and then know how to teach it. Also there are plenty of degrees out there (other than Maths/Physics) with enough mathematical content to support teaching Maths A-Level (though less to then teach Further Maths).

OP, as Mr M says, it is likely you would need to do a Subject Knowledge Enhancement course, but that is not a bad thing, it was extremely useful from my experience.
Mona123456
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by The Beaver)
You can teach Maths A-Level without having a Maths A-Level yourself, there are many teachers who do. You just have to develop your subject knowledge and then know how to teach it. Also there are plenty of degrees out there (other than Maths/Physics) with enough mathematical content to support teaching Maths A-Level (though less to then teach Further Maths).

OP, as Mr M says, it is likely you would need to do a Subject Knowledge Enhancement course, but that is not a bad thing, it was extremely useful from my experience.
Agreed - I understand SKEs can help to make up for a lack of qualifications.

I’m not by any means saying it’s impossible to teach A Level Maths having achieved a C in it — I just think it would be pretty difficult, if you’d be teaching students aiming for As answers A*s and didn’t feel confident enough or fully understand the content yourself. All A Level Maths teachers I’ve ever known have had some type of a Maths degree. But as you said, SKEs can help bridge the gap, and with sufficient training and detailed preparatory study I’m sure OP could teach Maths A Level if they really wanted to. Personally, if I were in the OP’s place, I would aim to teach Psychology GCSE and A Level, Sociology A Level and KS3 to GCSE Maths. But of course if OP enjoys Maths and is prepared to put in the training work to teach it at A Level then they should go for it.
Sceptical_John
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Ok, simple question -

Thanks
PGCE standards are a joke - especially for maths. You'd have no problem getting in.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (162)
18.93%
Labour (369)
43.11%
Liberal Democrats (167)
19.51%
Green Party (47)
5.49%
Brexit Party (22)
2.57%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (3)
0.35%
SNP (11)
1.29%
Plaid Cymru (7)
0.82%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (1)
0.12%
Sinn Fein (1)
0.12%
SDLP (0)
0%
Ulster Unionist (1)