The Student Room Group

Really stuggling at Uni

I'm really considering transferring to the uni in my hometown as I've been at uni for nearly 8 weeks now and just don't feel like I'm coping well. I can't sleep until usually 4/5 in the morning which means I can't wake up for my lectures in the morning. I feel so behind with all the work even though I did really well in my first essay. I miss my family so much and every time I'm in my room alone I want to be back home (probably why I can't sleep). Although my flatmates are lovely, I haven't made friends on my course yet bc I'm so shy and I feel really out of place here. I just don't feel like I've settled in and everyone is already talking about sorting out accommodation for next year but I can't even imagine myself being here that long. I'm scared to disappoint my family but I just don't feel right atm. Any advice would be really appreciated.
Original post by romjon
I'm really considering transferring to the uni in my hometown as I've been at uni for nearly 8 weeks now and just don't feel like I'm coping well. I can't sleep until usually 4/5 in the morning which means I can't wake up for my lectures in the morning. I feel so behind with all the work even though I did really well in my first essay. I miss my family so much and every time I'm in my room alone I want to be back home (probably why I can't sleep). Although my flatmates are lovely, I haven't made friends on my course yet bc I'm so shy and I feel really out of place here. I just don't feel like I've settled in and everyone is already talking about sorting out accommodation for next year but I can't even imagine myself being here that long. I'm scared to disappoint my family but I just don't feel right atm. Any advice would be really appreciated.

I think sorting out your sleep schedule would definitely help. Sleeping late isn't good as it messes with your circadian rhythm and hormones. Why can't you sleep until 4/5am?
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
I think sorting out your sleep schedule would definitely help. Sleeping late isn't good as it messes with your circadian rhythm and hormones. Why can't you sleep until 4/5am?

I'm pretty sure it's anxiety related - I just can't seem to switch my brain off. I do yoga, read and turn off my phone but I still end up sleeping late. I just start worrying about everything late at night.
Original post by romjon
I'm pretty sure it's anxiety related - I just can't seem to switch my brain off. I do yoga, read and turn off my phone but I still end up sleeping late. I just start worrying about everything late at night.

Is your anxiety related to the fact you're not with your family or is it there regardless? Is there any other reason for you being anxious?
And what exactly is it that you worry about late at night?
Have you been to see any health services or your unis occupational health regarding your anxiety?
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
Is your anxiety related to the fact you're not with your family or is it there regardless? Is there any other reason for you being anxious?
And what exactly is it that you worry about late at night?
Have you been to see any health services or your unis occupational health regarding your anxiety?

It's definitely there regardless but i think being away from family has made it worse? Well mostly about waking up the next day tbh - its a bit of a vicious cycle. I've been to student support and got some advice on sleeping issues but I'm going to book another appointment to ask about counselling as I think that would be more helpful. Thank you for your responses btw.
Original post by romjon
It's definitely there regardless but i think being away from family has made it worse? Well mostly about waking up the next day tbh - its a bit of a vicious cycle. I've been to student support and got some advice on sleeping issues but I'm going to book another appointment to ask about counselling as I think that would be more helpful. Thank you for your responses btw.

It seems to be the case. I take it you're close to your family? Were they your fall back when your anxiety was getting the best of you or did you have other means to cope with it?
Hmm, perhaps you should take a break from studies for a day or two and let your brain relax. It seems you've spent too much time overthinking things, and anxiety, as I'm sure you know, can wreak havoc in those situations. Try to entertain some of your hobbies for a day or two, don't worry about work. Taking a break when you need it will make you work more efficiently than if you were to carry on working in the state of mind you're in now.
Also, use those few days of break to sleep on time. Just get into bed at midnight, close your eyes and think happy thoughts. I know it sounds stupid, but you've messed up your sleep cycle (and circadian rhythm) by going to bed late everyday. Regardless of whether you fall asleep at midnight or not, you need to spend at least 2 days with your eyes closed, straight after midnight. Set the alarm for 8am, you'll probably feel like crap because you'll be tired, but don't go back to sleep, work through the day tired, and after 1-2 days you shouldn't have a problem falling asleep at midnight, as your brain will readjust your body clockwork. This should help ease your anxiety, as based off what you've said, it seems the big precipitating factor for your anxiety is the inability to overcome the bad sleep schedule, so fix that and it should help you. I think you missing your family has its part, but I reckon if you fixed your sleep, you'd still miss your family all the same, so I could be wrong, but I don't think your anxiety is currently being triggered by lack of family, as otherwise you would've been complaining about this the day you left for university.

Quick Reply

Latest