How do you add a pattern to an interior in Photoshop? Watch

s817
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I had notes notes on how to do this but can't find them anywhere and I need to do this for my coursework.
Appirition
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Each version of Photoshop is slightly different to the others. Here is one set of instructions that will hopefully give you enough information for you to work out how to do it in your version.

In Photoshop Creative Suite 6, you can apply preset patterns as fills. To fill a layer or selection with a preset pattern, follow these steps:

Choose the layer from the Layers panel and/or make the selection you want to fill with a pattern.

Choose Edit→Fill and then select Pattern from the Use drop-down menu (pop-up menu on the Mac).

In the Custom Pattern panel, select the pattern you want to fill with.

Here are some tips in choosing a pattern:

Choose a pattern from the drop-down panel.

Replace the current patterns with new patterns by selecting Replace Patterns from the panel pop-up menu (click the arrow on the right side of the dialog box). Then, select the new pattern library from the dialog box that appears.

Append new patterns to the current set by selecting Load Patterns from the panel menu.

Append one of the preset libraries that come with Photoshop by selecting the pattern from the list at the bottom of the panel menu.

Choose any other Fill options you want to apply, such as Mode, Opacity, or Preserve Transparency.

The Preserve Transparency option prevents Photoshop from filling the transparent areas on your layer with a pattern.

It’s recommended to adjust the Mode and Opacity settings in the Layers panel rather than the Fill dialog box. This approach allows you maximum flexibility if you want to make edits later.

Click OK to fill the layer or selection with the chosen pattern.

Tip: The new Scripted Pattern feature enables you to create a wider variety of patterns. You can offset, scale, and rotate your patterns. In addition, you can include transparency within your pattern. Adobe provides a few pattern script presets. Like brushes, you can also either create your own or find downloadable scripts online.

Taken from https://www.dummies.com/software/ado...photoshop-cs6/
s817
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by Appirition)
Each version of Photoshop is slightly different to the others. Here is one set of instructions that will hopefully give you enough information for you to work out how to do it in your version.

In Photoshop Creative Suite 6, you can apply preset patterns as fills. To fill a layer or selection with a preset pattern, follow these steps:

Choose the layer from the Layers panel and/or make the selection you want to fill with a pattern.

Choose Edit→Fill and then select Pattern from the Use drop-down menu (pop-up menu on the Mac).

In the Custom Pattern panel, select the pattern you want to fill with.

Here are some tips in choosing a pattern:

Choose a pattern from the drop-down panel.

Replace the current patterns with new patterns by selecting Replace Patterns from the panel pop-up menu (click the arrow on the right side of the dialog box). Then, select the new pattern library from the dialog box that appears.

Append new patterns to the current set by selecting Load Patterns from the panel menu.

Append one of the preset libraries that come with Photoshop by selecting the pattern from the list at the bottom of the panel menu.

Choose any other Fill options you want to apply, such as Mode, Opacity, or Preserve Transparency.

The Preserve Transparency option prevents Photoshop from filling the transparent areas on your layer with a pattern.

It’s recommended to adjust the Mode and Opacity settings in the Layers panel rather than the Fill dialog box. This approach allows you maximum flexibility if you want to make edits later.

Click OK to fill the layer or selection with the chosen pattern.

Tip: The new Scripted Pattern feature enables you to create a wider variety of patterns. You can offset, scale, and rotate your patterns. In addition, you can include transparency within your pattern. Adobe provides a few pattern script presets. Like brushes, you can also either create your own or find downloadable scripts online.

Taken from https://www.dummies.com/software/ado...photoshop-cs6/
Thanks for the reply but I meant a design/pattern I've created myself.
fallen_acorns
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I don't know if this is the right answer but if it were me I would creat the pattern in a separate file, then bring it in to the interior file as a shape that's bigger than the space you want to fill. I would then use the perspective/warp tools to make sure the angles and perspectives line up.. (unless the surface is perfectly aligned) I would then create a selection of the area using what ever selection tool is easiest for the surface.. and then select everything outside of the selection and delete it from the pattern, so they the pattern fits perfectly.

It may not be the text book way. Because I've never learned Photoshop from a textbook, but it would give you an separate layer that you can blend or mabupulate as you wish, that matches the shape and importantly perspective of the surface its on
Appirition
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by s817)
Thanks for the reply but I meant a design/pattern I've created myself.
Use Load Patterns in the panel menu to add your design pattern into the available pattern options, then apply it in the same way as you would apply a pre-installed pattern.
CoolCavy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Juat load it as an image the same way you would any other and then use the perspective warp tool to shape it to the interior
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Trinity Laban Conservatoire of Music and Dance
    Contemporary Dance Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Nov '19
  • University of Surrey
    All subjects except Veterinary Medicine and Guildford School of Acting Undergraduate
    Wed, 20 Nov '19
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Discover Your Type of Law - LPC and GDL - Birmingham campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Nov '19

what's your favourite season?

Summer (13)
27.08%
Spring (8)
16.67%
Autumn/Fall (13)
27.08%
Winter (8)
16.67%
I love them all equally (6)
12.5%