Does an international student with UK visa require seperate visa to visit N.Ireland? Watch

~E8~
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Hello All
Does an international student with UK visa require seperate visa to visit N.Ireland? And also what abt EU countries seperate visa for them?
*River
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I wouldn't have thought so, given that you're legally permitted to stay within the UK, of which Northern Ireland is part.

The fact that you have UK visa isn't going to mean that you don't have to apply for visas to other EU counties as far as I'm aware, but visa requirements are determined by the passport that you hold and will differ from state to state.

It's always better safe than sorry with things like visas though, so if in doubt contact the relevant embassies.
gm15
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Obviosly not for Northern Ireland - it is the UK.
What river said for the rest
username197472
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I smiled at this! N. Ireland is Uk terroritory and its inhabitants are classified as British so no you don't need separate visa.
Jim-ie
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
No you don't but you might get asked a few questions at immigration when you get off your flight.

You will need seperate visas for other EU countries, apart from (as far as I know!) the Republic of Ireland if you have the right papers to live in the UK and go across the Irish border itself as there is free travel between.
Garden_Gnome
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Northern Ireland no, as it's the same country!

Other EU countries then I think so, but I'm no expert. The Irish Republic allows free travel beween them and Nothern Ireland. There are no checks made (it's just like travelling from one county to another).
faber niger
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
No, and nor for the Republic.
~E8~
Rep:
?
WoW thats cool. So I can even visit republic of ireland . Can anyone tell me abt ways to reach N.Ireland from Manchester. I want to try the ferry ride. it would be great if someone can give approx fares of diff modes of travel.

And is there a tourist visa for the entire EU region. I heard abt one Schengen Visa. Can anyone throw some light on this one.
inkblot
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Flights from English airports to Belfast are crazy cheap at the moment. It would probably be the cheapest and fastest way.
Jim-ie
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by ~E8~)
WoW thats cool. So I can even visit republic of ireland . Can anyone tell me abt ways to reach N.Ireland from Manchester. I want to try the ferry ride. it would be great if someone can give approx fares of diff modes of travel.

And is there a tourist visa for the entire EU region. I heard abt one Schengen Visa. Can anyone throw some light on this one.
Return flight from Manchester to Belfast can be as cheap as £30 to as dear as £70 depending on when you book it. Belfast has two airports, City, and International. International is further out from the city but much more reliable and City is a very small unreliable airport that constantly delays flights (for me anyway) but is only 10 minutes from the city center.

Ferry travel you must go to Liverpool and I think that ferry goes to Larne which is just a bit outside of Belfast. Or it might go to Belfast, I'm not sure. Its 8 hours long. You can get a ferry from just outside Glasgow in Scotland to Belfast which is just under two hours, or a ferry from Holyhead in wales to Dublin which is about 3 hours I think.

Flying is easier and if you have only a UK visa you'll probably have difficulty getting into Dublin by sea as you didn't cross the border from the North.
~E8~
Rep:
?
(Original post by Jim-ie)
Return flight from Manchester to Belfast can be as cheap as £30 to as dear as £70 depending on when you book it. Belfast has two airports, City, and International. International is further out from the city but much more reliable and City is a very small unreliable airport that constantly delays flights (for me anyway) but is only 10 minutes from the city center.

Ferry travel you must go to Liverpool and I think that ferry goes to Larne which is just a bit outside of Belfast. Or it might go to Belfast, I'm not sure. Its 8 hours long. You can get a ferry from just outside Glasgow in Scotland to Belfast which is just under two hours, or a ferry from Holyhead in wales to Dublin which is about 3 hours I think.

Flying is easier and if you have only a UK visa you'll probably have difficulty getting into Dublin by sea as you didn't cross the border from the North.
thanks it was very helpful. I want to take the ferry ride as i ve never travelled by one. Maybe for the first time i ll go by ferry
Jim-ie
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
No bother. You can get an overnight ferry, too.
Mumintroll
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Your UK visa is NOT valid for travel to the Republic. Just because it is possible to get there without anyone stopping you, doesn't mean to say it's legal. If you did, for some reason, get ID'ed, you could end up in trouble or even getting deported. Naturally, as other people say, you can travel anywhere inside the UK with your UK visa - Northern Ireland included.

As for Schengen, yes, you can travel to all Schengen countries with a Schengen visa. Apply for it at the embassy of the Schengen country you will spend most time in or the first country in the Schengen area that you will enter.
Cool Cat
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I recommend BMI Baby for flights from Manchester to Belfast Intl and vice versa

Brilliant airline

www.bmibaby.com
donaldduck
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Also Flybe for flights from Manchester to Belfast City airport

www.flybe.com
kimsmith
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Here are some travel links that may help:
http://travel.nytimes.com/travel/gui...d_travel_guide
http://www.backpackers.co.uk/
http://www.thebigproject.co.uk/budget/
~E8~
Rep:
?
(Original post by Cool Cat)
I recommend BMI Baby for flights from Manchester to Belfast Intl and vice versa

Brilliant airline

www.bmibaby.com

(Original post by donaldduck)
Also Flybe for flights from Manchester to Belfast City airport

www.flybe.com
thanks alot
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (377)
37.48%
No - but I will (76)
7.55%
No - I don't want to (71)
7.06%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (482)
47.91%

Watched Threads