The Student Room Group

Durham or Newcastle Uni?

Hi guys, I’ve received offers from Durham and Newcastle to study Modern Languages (AAA for Durham and unconditional for Newcastle) and I’m a bit stuck because I like them both a lot for different reasons.
I’d say that the thing that worries me the most is the stereotype of a typical student? I’ve heard that Newcastle is all about partying and going out whereas Durham is quiet and boring but I’d rather br somewhere in the middle?
In terms of the course I’d be able to study Russian at Durham which is my preferred 3rd language of choice but at Newcastle I can carry on my 3rd language (whatever that may be) to the end of my degree but I can’t do that at Durham.
I honestly don’t know what to do! Which would stand me in the best stead for a job?
From what I understand, Durham is a much more prestigious uni (Newcastle are probs giving out unconditionals for a reason - not enough people are going there, and it used to be a polytechnic). I wouldn't say it's a boring place to live but if you're coming from London or some big city then you'd find it too small. It's way nicer, cleaner and friendlier than Newcastle. The stereotype is false - there is a durham nightlife, but if you do want to do to Newcastle, it's only like a 15minute journey on the train.
Reply 2
Original post by fruitcocktail
From what I understand, Durham is a much more prestigious uni (Newcastle are probs giving out unconditionals for a reason - not enough people are going there, and it used to be a polytechnic). I wouldn't say it's a boring place to live but if you're coming from London or some big city then you'd find it too small. It's way nicer, cleaner and friendlier than Newcastle. The stereotype is false - there is a durham nightlife, but if you do want to do to Newcastle, it's only like a 15minute journey on the train.

From what I read Newcastle are trialing unconditionals for this year much like other russell groups did (Birmingham, Nottingham) and whilst I recognise it isn’t as prestigious as Durham it was certainly never a poly! It used to be Durham’s medical school! Thank you for your response, you have a point with Newcastle being not too far away anyway
Reply 3
I would go to Durham personally, pretty sure its a better university for languages. Nonetheless if you like the course more at Newcastle, obviously go there. But if you go to Durham and find its a bit quiet, its a short train ride to Newcastle. Not to mention, the stereotypes have some truth to them but Durham still has a night life. And plenty of people go to Newcastle university and don't party non stop. Its really down to your preference.
Tricky one! I'd completely ignore the stereotype of the typical student if I were you. You can make your social life what you want it to be; even if it WAS true that most Newcastle students are constantly partying and that most Durham students are boring and quiet, you'll always be able to find likeminded people in such large unis and you can cater your study-work balance as you see fit. Durham is more prestigious but if you don't like the course as much as Newcastle's, then don't force yourself to go there just for that. Ask yourself: which one do you prefer based on campus/location, and which one do you prefer based on course? Ultimately both would be perfectly good for getting you a job later, so choose based on gut instinct and genuine preference.
At any Uni will will find the most diverse mix of students possible - and therefore lifestyles.
Assuming an entire University of 1000s of students are all 'stuck up', 'party animals', 'quiet', 'from London' or whatever is therefore a bit silly.

Only you can decide which course is best for you, but an Unconditional offer is a pretty big bonus.
Reply 6
Original post by returnmigrant
At any Uni will will find the most diverse mix of students possible - and therefore lifestyles.
Assuming an entire University of 1000s of students are all 'stuck up', 'party animals', 'quiet', 'from London' or whatever is therefore a bit silly.

Only you can decide which course is best for you, but an Unconditional offer is a pretty big bonus.

Oh yeah I get that, stereotyping is a load of rubbish but I’m a bit worried that I won’t fit in ANYWHERE, I’d assume it’ll all be ok though!
Original post by mushroom21
Oh yeah I get that, stereotyping is a load of rubbish but I’m a bit worried that I won’t fit in ANYWHERE, I’d assume it’ll all be ok though!

You will. Thats the great thing about Universities - the wonderful mixture of so many different backgrounds.

Quick Reply

Latest