sam72016
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
I'm in A2 right now, OCR A biology. I've finished doing photosynthesis and still doing respiration, but what is the difference in functions between NAD NADH NADPH and NADP?
xozxexo
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
NAD and NADP are both co-enzymes.

In photosynthesis the co-enzyme is NADP (nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide phosphate)
It transfers hydrogens from one molecule to another to allow oxidation or reduction.

NADPH is the product of light dependent reactions, (in particular non cyclic photophosphorylation) in this reaction the excited elections in photosystem 1 get transferred to NADP along with a proton from the stroma (H+ ion) creating reduced NADP (NADPH) this is then used in the Calvin Cycle to reduce the two glycerate phosphate (GP) into two Triose Phosphate (TP) molecules with the help of using ATP (energy).

In respiration the co-enzyme is NAD (Nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide) it helps the dehydrogenase enzyme to carry out oxidation reactions. For example in glycolysis, NAD is used in the oxidation section where TP is converted into pyruvate. This conversion happens by producing 4 ATP and NAD collecting two H+ ions (this then forms NADH or reduced NAD.

NADH is then used in the Krebs cycle to convert citrate into a 5 carbon compound. NAD is also used in the Krebs Cycle to help regenerate oxalocelate.

They pretty much have the same function, just called different things for the two different topics
fruitcocktail
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by sam72016)
I'm in A2 right now, OCR A biology. I've finished doing photosynthesis and still doing respiration, but what is the difference in functions between NAD NADH NADPH and NADP?
I'm doing OCR A biology too, and from what I believe NADP isn't involved in respiration at all and NAD isn't involved in photosynthesis at all. The only difference between the molecules is that NADP contains an extra phosphate group.
Both NAD and NADP are coenzymes that act as a proton and electron acceptors forming NADH and NADPH respectively.
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by fruitcocktail)
I'm doing OCR A biology too, and from what I believe NADP isn't involved in respiration at all and NAD isn't involved in photosynthesis at all. The only difference between the molecules is that NADP contains an extra phosphate group.
Both NAD and NADP are coenzymes that act as a proton and electron acceptors forming NADH and NADPH respectively.
NADP/NADPH are used in anabolic, rather than catabolic reactions.
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by xozxexo)

In photosynthesis the co-enzyme is NADP (nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide phosphate)
It transfers hydrogens from one molecule to another to allow oxidation or reduction.

NADPH is the product of light dependent reactions, (in particular non cyclic photophosphorylation) in this reaction the excited elections in photosystem 1 get transferred to NADP along with a proton from the stroma (H+ ion) creating reduced NADP (NADPH) this is then used in the Calvin Cycle to reduce the two glycerate phosphate (GP) into two Triose Phosphate (TP) molecules with the help of using ATP (energy).

In respiration the co-enzyme is NAD (Nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide) it helps the dehydrogenase enzyme to carry out oxidation reactions. For example in glycolysis, NAD is used in the oxidation section where TP is converted into pyruvate. This conversion happens by producing 4 ATP and NAD collecting two H+ ions (this then forms NADH or reduced NAD.

NADH is then used in the Krebs cycle to convert citrate into a 5 carbon compound. NAD is also used in the Krebs Cycle to help regenerate oxalocelate.

They pretty much have the same function, just called different things for the two different topics
NADP/NADPH are also used in animals - for anabolic, rather than catabolic reactions.
Vinny C
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
And both use quantum entanglement... as we are only recently starting to discover. Otherwise the complex reactions would be too slow to support so large a body, tree or dinosaur.
sam72016
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
(Original post by xozxexo)

Okay thankyou! I find it quite hard to wrap my head around the photosynthesis module so get it mixed up with respiration sometimes
xozxexo
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by sam72016)
Okay thankyou! I find it quite hard to wrap my head around the photosynthesis module so get it mixed up with respiration sometimes
No worries, them two topics confuse me the most too. Always mixing up which part goes in which topic haha
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Jan '20
  • SOAS University of London
    Development Studies, Interdisciplinary Studies, Anthropology and Sociology, Languages, Cultures and Linguistics, Arts, Economics, Law, History, Religions and Philosophies, Politics and International Studies, Finance and Management, East Asian Languages & Cultures Postgraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20
  • University of Huddersfield
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20

How many universities have you heard back from?

0 (76)
15.11%
1 (69)
13.72%
2 (65)
12.92%
20.48%
20.28%
5 (88)
17.5%

Watched Threads

Latest