Why do people have to die? Watch

richard10012
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I can’t stop thinking that the fact my parents will be dead one day. I don’t know how I will cope.
mgi
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by richard10012)
I can’t stop thinking that the fact my parents will be dead one day. I don’t know how I will cope.
No human has any control over this. Just celebrate their life and yours!
Anonymous #1
Report 1 week ago
Death is inevitable, inescapable, inexorable. You cannot run from it. You cannot hide from it.
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
You can't live like this - if you spent all your time pondering mortality, you'd go mad.

Death is a tiny part of life. Concentrate on the rest of life whist you can, both yourself and in others.
cheesecakelove
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
As much as we love the people in our lives, death will happen to us all. What is important is to cherish the time you have together and enjoy the happy memories you make with them. Bring happiness to each other's lives, don't waste time on dwelling about death.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 week ago
If death didn't exist then we would never get anything done, as we could always say, 'I'll just do it tomorrow'. Finite time is what gives us the urgency to live life.
BurstingBubbles
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
As someone who has already lost one parent, please focus your energy on making the most of the time you do have together
Anonymous__02
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
You’re talking as if you’re parents will definitely die before you
Plantagenet Crown
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
If death didn't exist then we would never get anything done, as we could always say, 'I'll just do it tomorrow'. Finite time is what gives us the urgency to live life.
I’m not sure this is true. By that logic everyone should currently have a sense of urgency and be motivated due to death, yet it isn’t true. There are many lazy people who still have the “I’ll do it tomorrow” attitude despite life being short. There’s thus no reason to think there would be no motivated, ambitious people even if we were immortal.
Vinny C
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Religiously... wrong choice of tree. Adam and Eve ate from the tree of knowledge but there was another forbidden tree... the tree of life! Had they eaten from that... mankind would have become immortal. Not often covered in your Bible studies.
BurstingBubbles
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous__02)
You’re talking as if you’re parents will definitely die before you
This is true. My grandma lost both her children before she died
Anonymous #3
Report 1 week ago
Surely we belong to Allah and to him shall we return...
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Scientifically? It's so that evolution works. If everything lives forever there'll be no evolutionary pressure to improve species.

Sorry to sound so cold and scientific.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Plantagenet Crown)
I’m not sure this is true. By that logic everyone should currently have a sense of urgency and be motivated due to death, yet it isn’t true. There are many lazy people who still have the “I’ll do it tomorrow” attitude despite life being short. There’s thus no reason to think there would still be many motivated, ambitious people even if we were immortal.
That is true, there are some people who have this issue, but that's because they haven't come to the realisation that they will die eventually. When people truly come to that realisation, it does wake them up. You see this in documentaries/writing where people describe their near death experiences, where they become truly aware of their mortality, and it changes their perspective on life. Until you are aware of your mortality, there is always the chance that you will be 'asleep' and inattentive to getting things done.

Also, this is for most people. Of course there will always be outliers.
BurstingBubbles
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by ecolier)
Scientifically? It's so that evolution works. If everything lives forever there'll be no evolutionary pressure to improve species.

Sorry to sound so cold and scientific.
True and if we all lived then there wouldn't be enough resources for us to live properly!
ساره
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Aw try to make the most of the time you have with them.
BurstingBubbles
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by ساره)
Aw try to make the most of the time you have with them.
Sorry to interrupt but is your name Sara/Sarah? If so, that's my name so recognised the writing. Is it Arabic? My friend in primary school taught me to write my name in Arabic
ساره
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by BurstingBubbles)
Sorry to interrupt but is your name Sara/Sarah? If so, that's my name so recognised the writing. Is it Arabic? My friend in primary school taught me to write my name in Arabic
Ayy Yeah it’s Sarah so you’d say Ana Sarah when introducing yourself. I think it’s a Muslim name. Idk if it’s an Arabic name though.
BurstingBubbles
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by ساره)
Ayy Yeah it’s Sarah so you’d say Ana Sarah when introducing yourself. I think it’s a Muslim name. Idk if it’s an Arabic name though.
Yay! I think it originates from Hebrew meaning princess but is found across a lot of different languages and cultures
Plantagenet Crown
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
That is true, there are some people who have this issue, but that's because they haven't come to the realisation that they will die eventually. When people truly come to that realisation, it does wake them up. You see this in documentaries/writing where people describe their near death experiences, where they become truly aware of their mortality, and it changes their perspective on life. Until you are aware of your mortality, there is always the chance that you will be 'asleep' and inattentive to getting things done.

Also, this is for most people. Of course there will always be outliers.
Not really. People who are close to death are always going to look back and maybe wish they did more. That doesn’t mean that if people were immortal they’d mostly be lazy. I think that’s quite a simplistic and unsubstantiated assertion.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (200)
19.18%
Labour (443)
42.47%
Liberal Democrats (202)
19.37%
Green Party (54)
5.18%
Brexit Party (28)
2.68%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (4)
0.38%
SNP (15)
1.44%
Plaid Cymru (10)
0.96%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (1)
0.1%
Sinn Fein (2)
0.19%
SDLP (1)
0.1%
Ulster Unionist (3)