Why do people have to die? Watch

Anonymous #2
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Plantagenet Crown)
Not really. People who are close to death are always going to look back and maybe wish they did more. That doesn’t mean that if people were immortal they’d mostly be lazy. I think that’s quite a simplistic and unsubstantiated assertion.
'People who are close to death are always going to look back and maybe wish they did more'. That supports what I said --> the knowledge of one's mortality makes an individual more inclined to make the most of life.

I didn't say they'd mostly be lazy, I said there is the chance they would be. It's just the knowing of one's mortality makes you more likely to make more use of life.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 week ago
Not really. People who are close to death are always going to look back and maybe wish they did more. That doesn’t mean that if people were immortal they’d mostly be lazy. I think that’s quite a simplistic and unsubstantiated assertion.
And I wouldn't regard it as unsubstantiated. As I mentioned, near death experiences change people. And there's plenty of people out there who will tell you about how it has changed them.
Plantagenet Crown
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
'People who are close to death are always going to look back and maybe wish they did more'. That supports what I said --> the knowledge of one's mortality makes an individual more inclined to make the most of life.
It doesn’t. It just means that they recognise, when close to death, that they maybe could have done more. But it doesn’t mean they didn’t actually do things when they were young or that they were lazy.

I didn't say they'd mostly be lazy, I said there is the chance they would be. It's just the knowing of one's mortality makes you more likely to make more use of life.
Again, I don’t think this is true because then we would expect the number of lazy and slacking people alive now to be next to non-existent and that’s clearly not the case.
And I wouldn't regard it as unsubstantiated. As I mentioned, near death experiences change people. And there's plenty of people out there who will tell you about how it has changed them.
Eh..? Doesn’t mean they weren’t motivated before then though. Like, I don’t think the main reason people aspire to their career or to have kids etc. is because they’re thinking about death. It’s because they’re things they like doing and want to experience. I think it’s reasonable to say most people don’t spend much time thinking about death until they’re dying.
_gcx
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Our joints only survive up to a certain amount of cycles.

Our organs can only last for so long without dying.

You too will die one day. It's a fact of life you accept with maturity.

Enjoy the time you have. It's the finiteness that makes things precious.
maachu_pichuu
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
To make way for the new and to get rid of the old, death is one of the greatest truths of this universe. Your soul doesn't die though, since it was never born to begin with. The soul finds another body based on past karmas.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 week ago
It doesn’t. It just means that they recognise, when close to death, that they maybe could have done more. But it doesn’t mean they didn’t actually do things when they were young or that they were lazy.

Again, I don’t think this is true because then we would expect the number of lazy and slacking people alive now to be next to non-existent and that’s clearly not the case.

Eh..? Doesn’t mean they weren’t motivated before then though. Like, I don’t think the main reason people aspire to their career or to have kids etc. is because they’re thinking about death. It’s because they’re things they like doing and want to experience. I think it’s reasonable to say most people don’t spend much time thinking about death until they’re dying.
Not to be rude, but you've taken what I've said to an extreme. All I simply stated was that the knowledge of death gives the urgency to want to live life, I didn't say all people who aren't aware of death don't make use of life.

Why wold you expect the number of lazy people to be non-existent? You're assuming that everybody is truly aware of death. Knowing that we all die is not the same as truly feeling one's mortality. Majority of people only understand death as a mere idea, not a reality. Do you really think a lazy person will spend time reflecting on their mortality for them to truly understand it?

Again, you've taken my point to an extreme. I didn't say death was the main factor in people living life, I was simply stating one factor in many that influences how people live their lives. I used death as the example because the OP spoke of death. And yes, most people don't spend much time thinking about death until they're dying, that's why most people have so many regrets on their deathbed.
Plantagenet Crown
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Not to be rude, but you've taken what I've said to an extreme. All I simply stated was that the knowledge of death gives the urgency to want to live life, I didn't say all people who aren't aware of death don't make use of life.
Most people already “live life” and achieve many things without thinking about death.

Why wold you expect the number of lazy people to be non-existent?
Because if your assertion is that immortality would render most people lazy and unmotivated then you’d expect mortality to manifest the opposite, i.e. laziness would almost be non-existent.

You're assuming that everybody is truly aware of death.
People know what death is and that they’re going to die.

Knowing that we all die is not the same as truly feeling one's mortality. Majority of people only understand death as a mere idea, not a reality.
I don’t think that particularly matters. And I feel it’s still very simplistic reasoning.

Do you really think a lazy person will spend time reflecting on their mortality for them to truly understand it?
Lazy people aren’t all the same lmao. Some might, others might not, but that doesn’t necessarily mean it’ll make them change.

Again, you've taken my point to an extreme. I didn't say death was the main factor in people living life, I was simply stating one factor in many that influences how people live their lives. I used death as the example because the OP spoke of death. And yes, most people don't spend much time thinking about death until they're dying, that's why most people have so many regrets on their deathbed.
I don’t think it’s a main factor or even a very important one. Most people work and achieve things because they want to and/or because they have to pay bills. None of this would change if we were immortal: we’d still need to earn money and have jobs to afford things etc. There would still be ambitious people and I feel it’s quite unrealistic to think that a sizeable portion of the population would suddenly just sit around and do nothing.

Having regrets is simply having regrets, it doesn’t mean they didn’t do things when they were young. As human beings we are always going to think we could have lived more and achieved more, that wouldn’t change with being immortal. You would still look back on certain portions of your life and perhaps think you could have gone about them in different ways. Also, what evidence is there that most of these so-called regrets dying people have are centred around the quantity of things they did rather than the quality?
Anonymous #2
Report 1 week ago
Most people already “live life” and achieve many things without thinking about death.

Because if your assertion is that immortality would render most people lazy and unmotivated then you’d expect mortality to manifest the opposite, i.e. laziness would almost be non-existent.

People know what death is and that they’re going to die.

I don’t think that particularly matters. And I feel it’s still very simplistic reasoning.

Lazy people aren’t all the same lmao. Some might, others might not, but that doesn’t necessarily mean it’ll make them change.

I don’t think it’s a main factor or even a very important one. Most people work and achieve things because they want to and/or because they have to pay bills. None of this would change if we were immortal: we’d still need to earn money and have jobs to afford things etc. There would still be ambitious people and I feel it’s quite unrealistic to think that a sizeable portion of the population would suddenly just sit around and do nothing.

Having regrets is simply having regrets, it doesn’t mean they didn’t do things when they were young. As human beings we are always going to think we could have lived more and achieved more, that wouldn’t change with being immortal. You would still look back on certain portions of your life and perhaps think you could have gone about them in different ways. Also, what evidence is there that most of these so-called regrets dying people have are centred around the quantity of things they did rather than the quality?
I think I'll leave it there. There are things you've said that make me feel my point has not been made clear, and you're only going off what you think and feel as you've mentioned. As I stated already, I didn't say immortality would make most people lazy. And the majority of people, as I stated, are not truly aware of death except as a concept. People, especially in the west, have become desensitised to death because they see it on media all the time. You yourself have agreed to this in saying that most people only think about death when they're dying. You say it's simplistic reasoning but of course it will seem like that when you oversimplify my point and take it as a 'be all end all'. I didn't say all lazy people are the same or that they would behave the same. Nor did I say anything about people having regrets because of a lack of quantity instead of quality.
Snoa
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Make the world a better place while you are here.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

what's your favourite season?

Summer (61)
32.45%
Spring (35)
18.62%
Autumn/Fall (46)
24.47%
Winter (36)
19.15%
I love them all equally (10)
5.32%