List of Books - First Year Watch

*Jay$ Ran!*
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Sorry if a thread similar to this has been started before..

i may seem rather keen but i was wondering if people from different universities can put up a list of books they used in the first year. I know we will get this when (and if ) we start the course but i was told that if i could find out and try to get hold of some books we will definitely need, i may be able to get them cheaper during the summer..

thanks in advance.. x
Gregorian IV
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Hiya

Im at nottingham and I didn't use any Books to pass my first year (77%) although I did buy them which i really regret.

Pharmacolgy 6th Edn - Rang, Dale, Ritter, Flower
Physiology 5th Edn - Berne and Levy
Pharmaceutics - Florence and Attwood
Essentials of Organic Chemistry, for student of pharmacy..... = Dewick
Brock Biology of Micro-organisms - cant remember who by
TigerSwift
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
The three I would 100% get are:

* Pharmacology - Rang, Dale, Ritter, Moore (i see Gregorian put Flower.. might be worth missing Moore or Flower out of a search). Also, don't buy the condensed version.
* Pharmaceutics, The Science of Dosage form Design - Aulton.
* Pathology and Therapeutics for Pharmacists - Russell J Greene

Though some other good ones are:
* Review of medical physiology - William F Ganong
* Essentials of Pharmaceutical Chemistry - Donald Cairns

If you do Compounding/ Extemp prep in first year then i suggest getting:
* FASTtrack: Pharmaceutical Compounding and Dispensing - Chris Langley and Dawn Belcher
*Jay$ Ran!*
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
thanks guys, anybody from University of Manchester?
Random.Girl
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I wouldn't buy any in your first year. Borrow from the library and see what you like and how often you use it.

If you're absolutely insistent on buying one though I'd go for Pharmacology by Rang, Ritter and Dale cause you'll probably use it loads later on in the course.
JayEm
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by *Jay$ Ran!*)
thanks guys, anybody from University of Manchester?
:yep:

The only one you need is Physicochemical Principles of Pharmacy by Florence & Attwood for the physics practicals. You can borrow it from the library though.

For everything else, just pay attention and take notes in lectures. There's also wikipedia as well.
shenzys
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
There aren't many books that you need for pharmacy it seems, so what do you use? Notes and handouts?
JayEm
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by shenzys)
There aren't many books that you need for pharmacy it seems, so what do you use? Notes and handouts?
Here in Manchester, most lecturers expect you to print off the lecture slides beforehand and annotate them during lectures. There's a couple who don't give you any and expect you to copy off the screen. There's also directed and recommended reading, although I don't think I did any in the first year.
Gregorian IV
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by shenzys)
Lecturer's give you handouts per lecture. Annotate as you wish. If you understand everything, then no need to do any extra work. If you don't understand, then refer to textbook
rosemkate
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
is it advisable to not buy the books but borrow them from a library cos iam thinking that the books will cost a lot
Danielle89
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
The only one I used regularly was Human Anatomy and Physiology by Tortora and Derrickson. Absolute Bible for 1st and possibly into 2nd year IMO
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • University of East Anglia
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Primary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Health, Education, Medicine and Social Care; Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences; Business and Law; Science and Engineering Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (546)
37.73%
No - but I will (113)
7.81%
No - I don't want to (100)
6.91%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (688)
47.55%

Watched Threads