y_katz
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 days ago
Hey guys,
I am in Year 11 and currently deciding my A-level choices.

I’m predicted 8s in all my subjects, but I’m naturally much better at humanities. However, while I love them (particularly English and History) I’m not sure I would find any of the fairly limited careers fulfilling.

I would be excited to help people, and have really enjoyed volunteering, so am leaning towards either medicine or humanitarian law. However, I don’t know (despite my love for humanities and debating) whether I’d actually enjoy law itself!
How do any law students on here find it? Does it do your head in?
On the other hand, I’m worried that were I to pursue medicine I may always regret not pursuing my passion.

So, it would either be: English literature, History and (Latin or French)
or Biology, Chemistry and Maths. I’m prepared to work very hard for either of those combinations. Which should I go for?
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
(Original post by y_katz)
Hey guys,
I am in Year 11 and currently deciding my A-level choices.

I’m predicted 8s in all my subjects, but I’m naturally much better at humanities. However, while I love them (particularly English and History) I’m not sure I would find any of the fairly limited careers fulfilling.

I would be excited to help people, and have really enjoyed volunteering, so am leaning towards either medicine or humanitarian law. However, I don’t know (despite my love for humanities and debating) whether I’d actually enjoy law itself!
How do any law students on here find it? Does it do your head in?
On the other hand, I’m worried that were I to pursue medicine I may always regret not pursuing my passion.

So, it would either be: English literature, History and (Latin or French)
or Biology, Chemistry and Maths. I’m prepared to work very hard for either of those combinations. Which should I go for?
Are you Asian? It's the Law–Medicine axis, in case you're wondering why I'm asking.
Stanzz
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
Do what you enjoy. Both are great jobs.
y_katz
Rep:
?
(Original post by Reality Check)
Are you Asian? It's the Law–Medicine axis, in case you're wondering why I'm asking.
No haha but I have a fairly pressurising (immigrated) family so I guess there may be a similar ethos
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
No haha but I have a fairly pressurising (immigrated) family so I guess there may be a similar ethos
:laugh:

That will be it then. Do you actually want to do either of these courses? If you do, then that's fine, but there's a million-and-one other degrees you could do if you're interested in them.
y_katz
Rep:
?
:laugh:

That will be it then. Do you actually want to do either of these courses? If you do, then that's fine, but there's a million-and-one other degrees you could do if you're interested in them.
Don’t worry 😉, I feel passionate about both biological sciences and helping people, as well as debating/essay writing so I think both are courses I (and my family 😂) would like. But thanks for the concern!

Out of curiousity though, are there any courses you’d particularly recommend for me?
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
Don’t worry 😉, I feel passionate about both biological sciences and helping people, as well as debating/essay writing so I think both are courses I (and my family 😂) would like. But thanks for the concern!

Out of curiousity though, are there any courses you’d particularly recommend for me?
What, A level courses?
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
As a medic, my personal opinion is always if you're stuck between medicine and something else, do something else.
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
(Original post by ecolier)
As a medic, my personal opinion is always if you're stuck between medicine and something else, do something else.
Yes - do you think that if you're truly destined to do medicine, there is 'nothing else'?
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
Yes - do you think that if you're truly destined to do medicine, there is 'nothing else'?
Nope, just that it requires your total dedication and attention (to apply anyway!).

Once you're in you'll be free to change your mind

Medicine takes over your life, I used to do a lot of nerdy things, I know only do a tiny bit of nerdy things, even though I am on here all the time :sad:

P.S. My parents really didn't want me to do Medicine, and even I didn't decide to do it until very, very late (i.e. Year 11 / 12).
Last edited by ecolier; 2 days ago
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
Nope, just that it requires your total dedication and attention (to apply anyway!).

Once you're in you'll be free to change your mind

Medicine takes over your life, I used to do a lot of nerdy things, I know only do a tiny bit of nerdy things, even though I am on here all the time :sad:

P.S. My parents really didn't want me to do Medicine, and even I didn't decide to do it until very, very late (i.e. Year 11 / 12).
That's really interesting. Do you mind my asking why your parents didn't want you to do medicine? It's such an unusual thing to read, particularly on TSR when the opposite usually applies.

I'm fully with you on the nerdy things - bringing unnecessary amounts of science into everyday life, normally. And TSR is an addiction...I'm in treatment. Clearly it's not working. :laugh:
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
That's really interesting. Do you mind my asking why your parents didn't want you to do medicine? It's such an unusual thing to read, particularly on TSR when the opposite usually applies.

I'm fully with you on the nerdy things - bringing unnecessary amounts of science into everyday life, normally. And TSR is an addiction...I'm in treatment. Clearly it's not working. :laugh:
They were (and still are) worried about infectious diseases :rofl:

The truth is, they've prepared me to have a life of mediocrity :rofl3:

I don't think I have done much better TBH
Last edited by ecolier; 2 days ago
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
They were (and still are) worried about infectious diseases :rofl:

The truth is, they've prepared me to have a life of mediocrity :rofl3: I don't think I have done much better TBH
I love your understatement. You're one the most highly qualified medics on TSR and there isn't a trace of arrogance or self-importance to you. More to the point, you spend much of what little free time you have helping people on TSR fulfil their dreams to study medicine free-of-charge.

What a star!
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
Plenty of consultants here, I am just a minion :rofl3:

And :ta: for your kind words.
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
Plenty of consultants here, I am just a minion :rofl3:

And :ta: for your kind words.
We're very lucky on TSR with regards to medics. We have so much high-quality advice - I think people don't appreciate the value of it.
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
We're very lucky on TSR with regards to medics. We have so much high-quality advice - I think people don't appreciate the value of it.
Indeed, we face plenty of negativity. If only more people like you exist :hugs:
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
Indeed, we face plenty of negativity. If only more people like you exist :hugs:
Mutual appreciation society, buddy
y_katz
Rep:
?
Thank you for your advice! It’s been really helpful, and the overall consensus seems to be to not do medicine unless you’re highly passionate about it, and can’t imagine doing anything else.
I’m planning to do some work experience with my aunt, who’s a doctor, and see how I like it. I’m quite worried that I’ve idealised medicine, and figured I should see the reality before going ‘all in’.
I’ll keep you updated 😉 and thank you again.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Chester
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 13 Nov '19
  • Kingston University London
    All faculties involved Undergraduate
    Wed, 13 Nov '19
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Discover Your Type of Law - LPC and GDL - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 13 Nov '19

Are you registered to vote?

18-20 years old (yes) (133)
54.29%
18-20 years old (no) (29)
11.84%
20-25 years old (yes) (38)
15.51%
20-25 years old (no) (4)
1.63%
25-30 years old (yes) (18)
7.35%