GlobalTrotter07
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi
My predicated grades are not brilliant,
Chemistry, Biology, Mathematics - for now BBB, maybe I will be able to convince my Biology teacher 🙏about A
I also have A* ( Foreign language) already achieved.

I would like to apply for UCL ( there are two courses with AAB requirements ) and Kings College (I’m living in London),
also outside London - Warwick, Southampton,
(mum agreed to suffer financially to pay for campus .....😔 feel not good about it, because she pays for private school and now even for private tuition. Originally I wished to apply for medicine, but I was stupid and did last year four sciences and also language, and two sports, so... only BBB)

Questions:
1. UCL, Kings College, Warwick, Southampton and.....What could be the fifth uni for my list - Bath, Lancaster ( they came to our school several times this year or maybe Queen Mary 😳?
(I know, I should ask my tutor’s advice, but he has degree in law, so he is not really helpful.)

2. Is it make a sense to wait up to the end of term (I’m working hard now to make my predicted grades better) and apply at the end of December? Does it make any difference - October or January?

Thanks
Last edited by GlobalTrotter07; 1 year ago
Lancaster Student Ambassador
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by GlobalTrotter07)
Hi
Chemistry, Biology, Mathematics - for now BBB, maybe I will be able to convince my Biology teacher 🙏about A

I would like to apply for UCL ( there are two courses with AAB requirements ) and Kings College (I’m living in London),
(mum agreed to suffer financially to pay for campus .....😔 feel not good about it, because she pays for private school and now even for private tuition. Originally I wished to apply for medicine, but I was stupid and did last year four sciences and also language, and two sports, so... only BBB)

Questions:
1. UCL, Kings College, Warwick, Southampton and.....What could be the fifth uni for my list - Bath, Lancaster ( they came to our school several times this year or maybe Queen Mary 😳?
(I know, I should ask my tutor’s advice, but he has degree in law, so he is not really helpful.)

2. Is it make a sense to wait up to the end of term (I’m working hard now to make my predicted grades better) and apply at the end of December? Does it make any difference - October or January?

Thanks
Hello,
I just wanted to check exactly what course you were applying for?
If you have any questions about Lancaster that can help you to make a decision then let me know!
I think also it's better to wait and apply nearer to the deadline if it means you can get your grade bumped up as ultimately admissions tutors look more at your grades than when you've applied!
Charlotte
3rd year Biological Sciences with Biomedicine
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by GlobalTrotter07)
Hi

Questions:

Thanks
Tell us exactly what you are applying for and what grades the unis want and it will be easier for us to help you. I suspect you may be being a bit ambitious and a "safer" 5th choice like Lancaster would be sensible.

Edited to say there is no hurry to apply early as long as you get your form submitted by 15th January. However, your school may well want it submitted before the end of term.
Last edited by harrysbar; 1 year ago
GlobalTrotter07
Rep:
?
(Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador)
If you have any questions about Lancaster that can help you to make a decision then let me know!
Hi Charlotte!

thanks for your fast reply,

I am thinking about
Biology / Biochemistry / Biomedicine / ( with AAB), Natural Sciences ( if I would be lucky but the requirement is AAA, when AA in two sciences.... maybe better keep this option for Clearance , if I will do good my exams ?)

I would like to study first more core subject, as Biology, and after do Masters in more specific field, possible Neuroscience or Ecology.
I know that there is in Lancaster the BSc Ecology & Conservation (ABB with BB in two sciences), but it will make my future choices quite narrow from the beginning(

My GSCE A*A*AAA B 6 5 5
GlobalTrotter07
Rep:
?
(Original post by harrysbar)
Tell us exactly what you are applying for and what grades the unis want and it will be easier for us to help you. I suspect you may be being a bit ambitious and a "safer" 5th choice like Lancaster would be sensible.

Edited to say there is no hurry to apply early as long as you get your form submitted by 15th January. However, your school may well want it submitted before the end of term.
Hi, thank you for your reply

My idea is to do fisrt more core/broader subject, and after do masters in more specific field. Or I would be lucky enough with my final exams moved from BSc program to MSc 4 years.

My choice is:

1. UCL
Applied Medical Science - AAB (Biology and Chemistry)
There also Cancer Biochemistry with AAB, but I feel that would make my later choice narrow
Of course I would be very happy to study Biological Sciences or Biomedical, but both program require AAA

2. King’s College London
Biomedical Science, Biochemistry or Neuroscience - KCL offers a Common Year One for all Biomedical subjects, so I can later choose (AAB Chemistry and Biology)

About non-London university I was choosing based on rankings. Lancaster is top, and entry requirements are high, but Warwick seems to be top as well, but lower requirements, is it correct? Why it happens?
Bath and Southampton seems also good, I’m looking not far from London - to visit mum and enjoy to be feed and loved sometimes).
But really I have no strong preferences, please share your views on them all!

3. Lancaster
Biomedicine (AAB with Biology and one more science) or
Biology (AAB with AB in two sciences)

4. Warwick
Biology or Biomedical or Biological Sciences ( AAB if Biology only, ABB if Biology and other Science)
Biochemistry or Neuroscience ( ABB if two Biology and Chemistry, and AAB if Chemistry plus other Science)

5. Bath or Southampton
Bath
Biology or Biological Sciences AAB with Biology and other Science, Biochemistry - AAB with Chemistry
Biomedical - AAA or A*AB with Biology and Chemistry
Southampton
Biology or AAB with Biology and other Science, Biochemistry - AAB in Chemistry and other Science

Thanks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (23)
8.49%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (38)
14.02%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (46)
16.97%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (38)
14.02%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (79)
29.15%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
17.34%

Watched Threads