The Student Room Group

Teenage hair loss :(

So I’m a 16 year old and going through hair loss rn and it’s super scary. My roots are so apart and I can’t do my usual hair styles anymore because you can see gaps in my hair and it’s so heartbreaking because I’ve always struggled with my naturally thin straight hair and to lose even more of it in a week is so hard for me to cope with. It’s like all I need to do is touch my hair for loads of strands to fall out. It’s too much hair gone way too fast. This has never happened to me before. I’ve had a blood test to determine if it’s my body doing all of this and I’m waiting for the results. My hair is up to my shoulders as before it was past my waist and heat damaged so I cut it all off to get it healthy and I haven’t used heat since. It reached a really healthy point and now suddenly it’s all falling off and I don’t understand. Has anyone else been through something like this?

Scroll to see replies

Yeh, I’m on chemotherapy and my hair falls out too. I know how it feels. How it can make you feel insecure. I wear beanies sometimes when I’m conscious, and sometimes I feel on top of the world and don’t care. I hope they figure out what’s causing it for you!
Reply 2
Original post by LouiseTierney
Yeh, I’m on chemotherapy and my hair falls out too. I know how it feels. How it can make you feel insecure. I wear beanies sometimes when I’m conscious, and sometimes I feel on top of the world and don’t care. I hope they figure out what’s causing it for you!

I hope everything gets better for you!! You got dis!! :smile:
And I’m always wearing a beanie but school gets hard since I can’t hide in my beanie there.
Have you seen a doctor? Maybe you have an underlying health issue causing this.
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
So I’m a 16 year old and going through hair loss rn and it’s super scary. My roots are so apart and I can’t do my usual hair styles anymore because you can see gaps in my hair and it’s so heartbreaking because I’ve always struggled with my naturally thin straight hair and to lose even more of it in a week is so hard for me to cope with. It’s like all I need to do is touch my hair for loads of strands to fall out. It’s too much hair gone way too fast. This has never happened to me before. I’ve had a blood test to determine if it’s my body doing all of this and I’m waiting for the results. My hair is up to my shoulders as before it was past my waist and heat damaged so I cut it all off to get it healthy and I haven’t used heat since. It reached a really healthy point and now suddenly it’s all falling off and I don’t understand. Has anyone else been through something like this?

mhm, could be a deficiency, or telogen effluvium if you've gone through something severely stressful lately.
Reply 5
Original post by black tea
Have you seen a doctor? Maybe you have an underlying health issue causing this.

Yeah I’ve been to a doctor and they asked me to get a blood test done. I’m waiting for the results still but I’m worried they won’t find anything and I’ll have to deal with this issue myself.
Reply 6
Original post by Ciel.
mhm, could be a deficiency, or telogen effluvium if you've gone through something severely stressful lately.

I haven’t experienced stress so intense to make my hair fall out, it’s just normal school stress that fades the next day, nothing serious. It might be a deficiency so I have to wait for my blood test results to tell me what it is. Hopefully it’s only a deficiency and I can get it fixed soon.
Yeah I’ve been to a doctor and they asked me to get a blood test done. I’m waiting for the results still but I’m worried they won’t find anything and I’ll have to deal with this issue myself.

That's good that you've seen someone about it. Whenever I've had increased hair shedding, I've always found skin, hair and nail multivitamins helpful so they might be worth a shot I guess.
I haven’t experienced stress so intense to make my hair fall out, it’s just normal school stress that fades the next day, nothing serious. It might be a deficiency so I have to wait for my blood test results to tell me what it is. Hopefully it’s only a deficiency and I can get it fixed soon.

Same thing happened to my cousin, she had an iron deficiency, she was prescribed an iron supplement which sorted it out.
Wish you all the best !
Reply 9
Genetic... you will be bald in 10 yrs, sorry
Hey OP,

Hair loss can be caused by many factors, but of course we're not doctors so we can't diagnose you with anything!

What I can suggest is to you though is a supplement called Biotin. Biotin is a supplement available from a chemist of health food store. So no dodgy deals :biggrin:

Biotin is essential to maintain healthy hair, nails and skin. It can make your hair thicker, healthier and longer. Biotin works wonders for most people, including me! I would definitely look into that. You should also have a healthy balanced diet, drink plenty of water, do exercise, and get loads of sleep.

Hope this has been helpful
You might have an iron and vitamin d deficiency
When my vitamin d and iron was extremely low my hair started falling out and it went from really thick to quite thin :frown:
It could be genetics, stress, diet, so many things
But it’s best to go to the doctors so that they can give you a blood test and find out if there are any underlying problems
Reply 12

i know what u mean my hair used to be so thick now is thinning and what i do is not put in ponytails anymore and do plaits and i should oil my hair
hopes it helps
Original post by Vinny C
Genetic... you will be bald in 10 yrs, sorry

I don’t have it in my genetics fortunately.
Ask before you assume please
Do you have facial hair yet? If you're otherwise hairy on the rest of your body then chances are it's genetic and you're just going bald unfortunately. The speed of the hair loss doesn't leave out the possibility of some sort of deficiency or condition though, so there might still be hope.
Original post by harrisong12
Hey OP,

Hair loss can be caused by many factors, but of course we're not doctors so we can't diagnose you with anything!

What I can suggest is to you though is a supplement called Biotin. Biotin is a supplement available from a chemist of health food store. So no dodgy deals :biggrin:

Biotin is essential to maintain healthy hair, nails and skin. It can make your hair thicker, healthier and longer. Biotin works wonders for most people, including me! I would definitely look into that. You should also have a healthy balanced diet, drink plenty of water, do exercise, and get loads of sleep.

Thank you so much!! I’ll look into it :smile:
Reply 16
Hey OP,

oh i have that
Original post by Cryoraptor
Do you have facial hair yet? If you're otherwise hairy on the rest of your body then chances are it's genetic and you're just going bald unfortunately. The speed of the hair loss doesn't leave out the possibility of some sort of deficiency or condition though, so there might still be hope.

Well I mean I’m a typical girl who shaves off everything so idk about the facial hair thing. It’s not genetics.
Hey OP,

Thank you so much!! I’ll look into it :smile:

Original post by 000_0000
oh i have that

Does it work?
I don’t have it in my genetics fortunately.
Ask before you assume please

May be a latent gene... but from what you say. It is unlikely to be the result of hair product at your age, sorry. Btw... do NOT use conditioner. Worst thing ever invented!
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest