Is using the same EE topic allowed? Watch

CrunchTime
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Hi all,
Say I've found a great topic on the forum that someone is using for his EE and I would also like to embark on something similar/same.

Would this be counted as a form of plagarism in some way and is this allowed for IB?
(that is, doing the same EE topic as my friend)

Thanks!
trm90
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Don't risk it. People have gotten their potentially high scoring diplomas snatched away from them because they made the bad mistake of 'letting their friend see their title/IA/EE'.

I mean, the thing is, there could be a virtually 0.01% chance or something, but the fact that there's a chance you'd caught should be enough to put you off taking that topic.

Honestly, I'm sure you can find another topic on your own. The reason why I personally loved doing my EE was because I got to choose my own topic on whatever interested me; it's satisfying not being forced to read some article, do an experiment and look at some boring data or compare two books you don't even like.
mar029
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
i suggest u do something that is related to the area that u live (e.g. city or country) which minimize the chance of having the same question with other student somewhere.

I lived in Indonesia, and i chose physics for my EE. I chose to investigate an Indonesian music instrument, how it produced its sound. My teacher said that the same question have been used by several previous IBers but with different music instrument, such as piano, guitar, etc. So it's safe.
CrunchTime
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Thanks for the reply all.

Heh the only reason why I asked the above is because I can't think of a topic yet, so I'm thinking of doing a topic that others have done in the past which does seems quite interesting to me. I know I should be doing something that I am interested in but the problem is - I don't know what interests me (excluding hobbies etc) and to imagine sticking with the same topic for the next few months is no joke really, especially if I make the mistake of choose a boring topic. Sorry pardon my ranting..

My question is if its possible to do a topic similar to what others have done in the past (and do we get marks for originality)?

Also I'm intending to pursue a law degree (most probably) so is it essential that I do a history topic since university might ask for EE when applying or is EE unimportant for university application? (if so, I may choose to do a psychology topic instead)

Thanks again!
johannski
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I found a great topic in a forum which I actually considered doing - just using other novels. In the end though, I came up with my own and I must say I am glad I did. It just becomes more personal and more fun to write.
ladylish
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by CrunchTime)
My question is if its possible to do a topic similar to what others have done in the past (and do we get marks for originality)?
As the others have said above, it's really not worth the risk. The IB is so so hard on plagiarism, that if you do use a similar topic title, it could get you completely disqualified.

One issue with using the exact same topic as someone in the past, is that even if you don't directly pull stuff from their EE, you could end up using the same sources, and thus could potentially end up at the same conclusion or making the same arguments. And then that WOULD look like plagiarism.

The point of the EE is to carry out your own research on your own topic - maybe use past topic titles as inspiration, but never ever use one that you know for a fact someone has done before.

It just ain't worth it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (214)
39.27%
No - but I will (38)
6.97%
No - I don't want to (36)
6.61%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (257)
47.16%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed