Emergency Dentist Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Today I went to the emergency dentist because I’ve been getting p bad toothache for the last couple of weeks... the dentist has put in a temporary filling but has said that I will need a root canal probably (she seemed confident that a root canal would be alright as opposed to having the tooth taken out).

I knew that something was up because I’ve been getting pain in this tooth for over a year on and off and then more severely the last month or so and it got progressively worse which led to the appointment today.

However, I’ve been to a couple of different dentists (I’ve moved around a lot over the last year) and they all said that there was nothing wrong so I’m feeling pretty bummed that it hadn’t been picked up before now. I wouldn’t have said that it needed a root canal myself but the dentist was super nice today and I have no reason to doubt her.

The main problem is that my regular dentist can’t fit me in until mid December to have the proper procedure done and I’m still in a lot of pain - I don’t know if it’s worth calling them on Monday to see if I can see them sooner or not?! I get a lot of anxiety about going to the dentist too and feel pretty **** about my teeth at the moment - I’m currently in hospital receiving treatment for an eating disorder which hasn’t helped my oral hygiene.

Also the temporary filling they put in today is really uncomfortable and I can’t bite anything which is problematic given that I’m expected to eat what is on the menu of the unit I am at. I don’t know if I can wait 6 weeks but obviously I don’t think it really warrants an emergency appointment again?

Alsooooo is having a root canal nearly as bad as people make it out to be? Today the dentist cleaned out my tooth and used some of those file things and it wasn’t too bad, but I know that that’s not the same as having the full procedure done.

Any answers to my ramble would be appreciated!
Anonymous #1
(Also, I don’t think the tooth had any infection, but I think it was just a deep cavity as I had ignored it for quite some time since being in hospital so does that mean I have to have a RC or not? Is a simple filling just not going to work?) I appreciate that it’s hard to give advice on a forum like this but Uber nervous person here who is bricking themselves already!!
gadsdo_o1610
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Sounds like you've gone through a lot with your teeth in the last year. I absolutely hate the dentist and it makes me really anxious every time I go because I don't like not knowing what they're doing in my mouth. I've had a root canal and the worst part was the numbing, but that's it really. I found that there was very minimal pain and it's a relatively simple procedure. I find it comforting to take someone with me to the dentist so that I can squeeze their hand when I'm feeling extremely anxious. Hoped this gave you some piece of mind 😊
Anonymous #1
Thank you for replying! Knowing that the injection is the worst part has made me feel more confident about it because when they did my temporary filling yesterday it didn’t really hurt too much at all! I might see if I can get someone to come with me as well just for a bit of reassurance

Is it normal for the pain to be worse after a temporary filling because I’m in more pain with it now than before I went - ibuprofen didn’t massively help and I was up a lot last night because of it - I don’t want to seem like the biggest hypochondriac ever, but I don’t know if it’s worth calling my usual dentist tomorrow to see what they say?! If the pain is going to carry on like this until my next appointment then I don’t think I can wait 6 weeks or however long it is :/
gadsdo_o1610
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I would personally make an appointment as soon as possible. When I had a temporary filling it didn't hurt all that much, maybe a bit of pain but not to the extent your describing it as. It could be a severe infection and it's best to get it sorted now than later
Oshea2605
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I'm in the process of having a two root canals on my two front teeth honestly they are not as bad as people make out i'm still in pediactric denistry at the dental hospital so don't know if that makes a difference but i highly doubt it.Usually a dentist wont just say u are having root canal they will need tests and xrays to prove it and the process takes multiple visits to the dentist so the sooner you book in the better. If the tooth is really dead you might not even need it to be nummed
Anonymous #1
(Original post by gadsdo_o1610)
I would personally make an appointment as soon as possible. When I had a temporary filling it didn't hurt all that much, maybe a bit of pain but not to the extent your describing it as. It could be a severe infection and it's best to get it sorted now than later
(Original post by Oshea2605)
I'm in the process of having a two root canals on my two front teeth honestly they are not as bad as people make out i'm still in pediactric denistry at the dental hospital so don't know if that makes a difference but i highly doubt it.Usually a dentist wont just say u are having root canal they will need tests and xrays to prove it and the process takes multiple visits to the dentist so the sooner you book in the better. If the tooth is really dead you might not even need it to be nummed
Thank you both for your messages! I’m going to call my normal dentist first thing and see if i can get an emergency appointment. The pain has got so bad this evening that I’d rather they just pulled out the tooth!!

One thing I did find strange is that no x-ray was done. Is it possible to tell that a root canal is needed just by looking?! I knew it needed a filling because I could see a hole so I’m guessing that it could be seen once the cavity was started to be removed?
Anonymous #1
(Also apparently I might need my bottom 2 wisdom teeth out because they are coming in at a strange angle... I’d rather poke out my eyes than have them removed but I’m also getting a lot of pain from them, one in particular is v swollen and painful at the moment )
Ant_Reese
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
(Also apparently I might need my bottom 2 wisdom teeth out because they are coming in at a strange angle... I’d rather poke out my eyes than have them removed but I’m also getting a lot of pain from them, one in particular is v swollen and painful at the moment )
I'm studying dentistry at the moment.
Wisdom teeth extraction needs to be justifiable and your dentist should be following the NICE guidelines
There are risks involved with taking wisdom teeth out, so it's better to make sure that it is necessary.
Ant_Reese
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Thank you both for your messages! I’m going to call my normal dentist first thing and see if i can get an emergency appointment. The pain has got so bad this evening that I’d rather they just pulled out the tooth!!

One thing I did find strange is that no x-ray was done. Is it possible to tell that a root canal is needed just by looking?! I knew it needed a filling because I could see a hole so I’m guessing that it could be seen once the cavity was started to be removed?
Ideally your dentist should be taking an x-ray for diagnostic reasons to see if there is an infection evident, and to see the number of roots and their length. It also protects him/her from a medico-legal aspect. In some instances like pregnancy or where there is a recent xray available, they may not take one to avoid unnecessary radiation dose to you.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (201)
18.75%
Labour (554)
51.68%
Liberal Democrats (144)
13.43%
Green Party (59)
5.5%
Brexit Party (15)
1.4%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (4)
0.37%
SNP (17)
1.59%
Plaid Cymru (5)
0.47%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (7)
0.65%
SDLP (2)
0.19%
Ulster Unionist (4)