Potential restoration - Massey Ferguson 35 Watch

tomster_11
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
I have in my ownership a Massey Ferguson 35. Not in the best condition..
I have owned it for 7 years and it has been a bit temperamental but now i wish to restore it to its original state. The tractor is 40ish years old, but has no registration. Anyway - does anyone have any tips on starting a restoration project. Also, with the tractor, when i put the key in and turn it, nothing happens. Nothing at all.. no sound, no movement no nothing. What could this possibly be. Its not the battery as the battery is new and it has worked with the new battery before..
Thanks
Pookie
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Make sure the connections are on firm and that there are no breaks in the battery wires.
Friggerpants
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Pictures
Jonathan
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Push the starter solenoid by hand, keeping well away from any machinery like the flywheel and motor itself. In fact, use a long piece of wood to do it.

See if that makes the engine spin.
tomster_11
Im sorry but could you tell me where the starter solenoid is? Or what i shpould look for, what its connected to.. just so i can find it?
Pictures will be posted soon!!
I have checked the battery connections and wires so i dont think the problem lies there..
thanks guys
JC.
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Starter solly is mounted on the starter (usually)!

Pics please!

If you're going to do a rebuild, when you strip it down lable EVERYTHING. You might know where things go now but in 12 months time you'll look at bolt x and bracket y and think "where did I take that off".

I'm doing my own restoration of an MGB which, some may argue has a tractor engine and labling things really helps.

Also, it's important to set yourself mini goals - restoring the heater assembly is my next major job.
jam_man
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Restoration is a rollercoaster ride!
Well worth the enormous pride you get in the end. Im doing up a Roadless 115 at the moment, my current mini goal is replacing one of the half shaft seals and while everything is now off im restoring the hydraulics. Another little job I need to do is to get a decent air filter housing as mine had rusted through a fair amount!!
Good luck with it all, be sure to keep us all updated!
JC.
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Another tractor restorer!

You have to be really careful messing around with these things. The engineering is so beefy. I've had a car drop off axle stands before now. Wouldn't like to think what a tractor would be like!
tomster_11
still struggling to find the starter solenoid
what does it look like - just want to get it started again, then i can start the restoration.. only once i have got it started though..
gbduo
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago

The thing on top of the starter motor on the bottom.
tomster_11
thanks gbduo was really helpful..
gbduo
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
No prob, and it is Graham, i hate usernames...call me by who I actually am!

Any other questions, just fire away!
JC.
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by gbduo)
No prob, and it is Graham, i hate usernames...call me by who I actually am!

Any other questions, just fire away!
My user name is my name! :cool:
Lara C.
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by gbduo)

The thing on top of the starter motor on the bottom.
lol.
gbduo
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by JC.)
My user name is my name! :cool:
I am too cool to have my username as my name.

Instead it is the tail number of one of the Concorde's. That is cool.
Minardi
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Ahhhh tractor restoration. I come back from time away and something interesting is already up. Pics please .

Me and my dad are currently hunting a David Brown 25D to restore. Hunting being the operative word....
Lara C.
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by gbduo)
I am too cool to have my username as my name.

Instead it is the tail number of one of the Concorde's. That is cool.
Sorry, i just coughed up some bile! THAT is cool :confused: which big ball in space are you from exactly? thats the most geekish/anorak'ish thing ive heard from you so far lol. and you are a die-hard anorak! :p:
gbduo
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Lara C.)
Sorry, i just coughed up some bile! THAT is cool :confused: which big ball in space are you from exactly? thats the most geekish/anorak'ish thing ive heard from you so far lol. and you are a die-hard anorak! :p:
Lol, I love planes and boats and cars and engines and stuff.

To excess.
steveridsdale
Report 10 years ago
The electrical problem coud be the safety start switch which is located in front of the gear lever. I think that is the most likely, otherwise I would check out the ignition switch.
We have just restored the engine on a 4 cylinder MF 35 and also the tractor hydraulics.

The good thing is that any money you spend will still be in the tractor so you won't loose anything. In fact they just seem to be going up in value all the time.

Cheers.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (564)
37.65%
No - but I will (117)
7.81%
No - I don't want to (108)
7.21%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (709)
47.33%

Watched Threads