The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

English- question about electives

I got my reading list today for 08-09, yay! How very exciting. Can't wait to dig my teeth into 'Rediscover Grammar' :p:

But I noted that they also have reading lists for 2 elective modules per semester- Icelandic Language and Culture:viking: or 20th Century Fiction in the first and then Icelandic Language and Culture or the Plays of Shakespeare in the second.

I'm a bit confused about these electives... I thought there were more choices than that? And how many electives can you choose? And also.... How about electives from outside the school of English? How do we apply for them?:confused:

Eeek!
x
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 2
You got the reading list today! Lucky ! I havnt got mine!:frown:. I was wondering about this as the website has a similar thing where under electives on the main page it just has those two options you mentions but then when you click on electives, it gives you loads of other options...?
Anyone know what this is all about?!

Yeah I tried that but it didn't really answer my questions. Hmm...:hmmmm:
Reply 4
sharpesparkle
Yeah I tried that but it didn't really answer my questions. Hmm...:hmmmm:

I'm sorry, it was just a thought. Maybe a current English student will wander to this thread soon and clarify it for you. Or perhaps you could send an email to someone from the school of English and have them explain.
You will get sent/given a huge booklet listing the electives from the entire uni (there's hundreds). The ones you're talking about are the School of English ones you can do in first year (they only let you choose from a small selection because your second and third year modules will be from the bigger list).
Ohhh thank you!
:smile:
Reply 7
guitarromantic - do you mean those two electives previously mentioned or do you mean the list of about 20 which are on the website ?
I haven't seen the website so I don't know, but I'm fairly sure that there's only a small choice (those 4 that sharpesparkle posted). Don't worry about it - it'll all make sense very soon, seriously.
Reply 9
lol ok spose i dont even need to think about it yet. Thanks for replying though. I suppose every ones reading lists should be coming out now then! I thought it wasnt until next month!
When I signed up to my electives (both out of school) last year, we had to queue outside the Great Hall and do it in person. It took about two hours. Grrr.
cheerios
I suppose every ones reading lists should be coming out now then! I thought it wasnt until next month!

Yeah I got mine in an email from Naomi French yesterday, as well as another email about peer mentoring. :smile:
I was under the impression that you couldn't choose School of English electives if you were studying English???
You can't, except for the ones posted above.
Do you know how many we're allowed to take? :smile:
In an academic year, you need to make up 120 credits from core modules and electives. You're required to do 80 credits (4 modules of 20 credits each) worth of compulsory English modules, then you're free to play about with the remaining 40 credits. Elective modules can either be 10 or 20 credits each, so you'll do a mininum of 2 electives and a maximum of 4.
You're supposed to take 60 credits in each of the two semesters, which means 2 core modules and 20 credits worth of electives in each. However, you are allowed to do a 50/70 or 70/50 split, meaning you could be doing 2 core modules, a 20 credit elective and a 10 credit elective in one term and 2 core modules and just one 10 credit elective in the other.
It does all make a lot more sense once you get there, promise.

Latest