rm2000
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi, I'm an upper A-level student and I've for medicine at the universities Sheffield, East Anglia, Anglia Ruskin, Edinburgh and Buckingham. I got an average score of 610 and Band 1 in my UCAT score. From my research, the universities all said there was no cut off and that they looked at UCAT( some looking at the situational judgment) and personal statements equally in their selection process (especially East Anglia). If there is anyone more knowledgable on the selection process, what are my chances of being accepted this year?

Note: Sorry for the misunderstanding, made an edit to what is looked at for interviews.
Last edited by rm2000; 1 year ago
DGeorge13
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by rm2000)
Hi, I'm an upper A-level student and I've for medicine at the universities Sheffield, East Anglia, Anglia Ruskin, Edinburgh and Buckingham. I got an average score of 610 and Band 1 in my UCAT score.From my research, the universities all said there was no cut off and that they looked a situational judgment and personal statements equally in their selection process (especially East Anglia). If there is anyone more knowledgable on the selection process, what are my chances of being accepted this year?
Not sure where you got the info about personal statement from as I could swear Sheffield said they only checked it for red flags. If you are a standard home applicant school leavers:
Sheffield - is standard a100 I would say as they rank people on UCAT your score is likely a bit low
UEA - have said ranking on UCAT this year and carry cognitive score 50% post interview for offer making so can’t really say although b1 gets added to interview score
ARU- last year you would have been under their UCAT score for interview but the year before you may have gotten one
Edinburgh - depends on your other stats quite significantly but your UCAT will make it a bit harder
Don’t know anything about Buckingham
rm2000
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by DGeorge13)
Not sure where you got the info about personal statement from as I could swear Sheffield said they only checked it for red flags. If you are a standard home applicant school leavers:
Sheffield - is standard a100 I would say as they rank people on UCAT your score is likely a bit low
UEA - have said ranking on UCAT this year and carry cognitive score 50% post interview for offer making so can’t really say although b1 gets added to interview score
ARU- last year you would have been under their UCAT score for interview but the year before you may have gotten one
Edinburgh - depends on your other stats quite significantly but your UCAT will make it a bit harder
Don’t know anything about Buckingham
Hi, thanks for responding, I edited the original comments, saying how they look at the UCAT and personal statement, and I was wondering it changed anything?
GANFYD
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by rm2000)
Hi, thanks for responding, I edited the original comments, saying how they look at the UCAT and personal statement, and I was wondering it changed anything?
None of the med schools you have listed score PS as part of their selection process, though they may review it for red flags.
As pointed out, Sheffield have had cut offs around 73rd centile in previous years, which would be around 2630+ this year so it is unlikely it will fall to 43rd centile, which is your score.
Edinburgh uses UCAT as 35% of their interview selection and the average score in people with offers in past years has been around 715 (2860), though it was worth a smaller percentage of the score then. Academics are 50% of score and SJT 15%
ARU had a cut off of 610 last year and 620 the year before
UEA are ranking on UCAT alone and have no past cut offs for comparison. They do require at least 6 As at GCSE.
Buckingham are a private med school and take most people who can write the cheque, I think
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (616)
33.72%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (768)
42.04%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (362)
19.81%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (81)
4.43%

Watched Threads