Protein Shakes Watch

Andrew_2006
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Okay looking for some decent protein shakes, with the following aims

1) add lean muscle - I'm not interested in actually gaining mass so to speak - so stuff like pro mass is not reall what I'm after.

2) They must taste okay. I have tried CNP pro mass and thought that was quite nice actually.

Of course they must be safe! I presume I will need whey protein? Maybe CNP stuff then?>
Bebbs
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
what is your diet? sort your diet before you even consider protein shakes.

Do you consider it easy to add muscle mass, its not the sort of think you just drink a bit of whey and it magically happens. People have to train right, eat right and sleep right before you can add mass.

If you dont want to gain mass, you want to diet down. They are mutually exclusive and opposite.

Yes whey is safe
Bateman
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Bebbs)
. They are mutually exclusive and opposite.

My gym instructer told me to run for 20 minutes after my workout, he said that the running is going to burn up the fat..
Bebbs
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
firstly a gym instructor is the last person i would listen to regarding exercise. I'd rather call my great grandma about the best way to blast my quads than anyone at a commercial gym

Secondly its weight gain and weight loss. If you gain muscle you gain weight, most people bulk on 500+cals per day. If you are eating above your maintance (normally 3000cals+) your body wont burn alot of your fat stores
Carlo08
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
To gain Muscle you need to eat more cals, obv, you cant make muscle if your body doesnt have enough energy. 1lb of muscle equates to 3500 extra cals, so eating +500 will give aprox 1lb extra body weight per week.

By doing any moderate exercise for 20 mins + you are forcing your body to respire aerobicly, ie using oxygen and this also uses fat as a primary energy source (it is much higher in energy than carbs) which decreases your fat stores.

So yes you can do both but it will be very slow, If you do lots of cardio with weight training, you will tend to gain your muscle if your eating right and it will ensure that your gains will be mostly fat free, however will take longer to achieve gains as your burning off alot of the extra carbs you are eating.
Bebbs
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Carlo08)

By doing any moderate exercise for 20 mins + you are forcing your body to respire aerobicly, ie using oxygen and this also uses fat as a primary energy source (it is much higher in energy than carbs) which decreases your fat stores.
your body will catabolise your muscle as an energy source in SS cardio of 20minutes+. Not a good idea when attempting muscle growth.

If you have to do cardio at all on a bulk do short HIIT sessions 1-2xweek or some crossfit metcon
arsenalfan.
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
bodybuilding.com forum is the best place to ask
Andrew_2006
Rep:
?
My diet is fine I reckon...

I eat three good meals a day, have plenty of fruit and water.

Well the thing is I don't mind putting on weight, I just don't want to put on any fat or unecessary bulk..

Maybe the pro mass stuff would be ok>

And can I make it clear I'm not just going to the drinking these shakes and expecting magic. I go to the gym 2/3 times a week. Do a wide range of free weights and machines, and a little cardio. As well as playing tennis once or twice a week.
Bebbs
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Andrew_2006)
My diet is fine I reckon...

I eat three good meals a day, have plenty of fruit and water.

Well the thing is I don't mind putting on weight, I just don't want to put on any fat or unecessary bulk..

And can I make it clear I'm not just going to the drinking these shakes and expecting magic. I go to the gym 2/3 times a week. Do a wide range of free weights and machines, and a little cardio. As well as playing tennis once or twice a week.

3 meals a day is too little. Eat 5-6. What calories are you on. To put any sort of muscle on you need to be eating around atleast 3000cals depending on many factors.

Aim to eat 500calories over your BMR(use google)

Protein shakes are only accountable for a few percent of gains.

Gym 2/3xweek with machines? Thats a pretty bad routine just by that description. What are you doing each time you go to the gym. You want to be lifting at least 3xweek. All free weights
Andrew_2006
Rep:
?
So basically here's what I do

Day 1 - Back and Biceps,
Day 2 - Triceps, Shoulders, Chest
Day 3 - ABS and Legs

Then some cardio in all 3 sessions.

I'm really not sure what's best, as I don't have much experience of protein stuff..
Bebbs
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
thats just a list of body parts. What exercises do you do?

In terms of protein powders the brand ones, ON, PHD, reflex each do a whey.

Myprotein.co.uk sells cheap bulk whey powder as well
work_til_failure
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Bebbs)
thats just a list of body parts. What exercises do you do?

In terms of protein powders the brand ones, ON, PHD, reflex each do a whey.

Myprotein.co.uk sells cheap bulk whey powder as well
So would that only increase your weight or will it aid muscle growth?
Bebbs
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by work_til_failure)
So would that only increase your weight or will it aid muscle growth?

um muscle has mass and weight. If you gain muscles you gain weight.
Protein powder doesnt simply cause muscle growth
Kerch
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I've been thinking about trying some protein powder to assist muscle gain from weight lifting, but I don't think my diet is good enough. The foods I do eat are generally high in protein, like eggs, most meats, with a decent amount of carbohydrates and vegetables, and I mostly drink milk and fruit juices, but I struggle to eat large enough meals. My appetite is very small so even when I make an effort I only take in about 2500 calories a day, usually less. Could I benefit from protein supplements or do I need to make more of an effort to increase my calorie intake from meals alone?
Bebbs
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
if your eating that amount and struggling whey is a good way to boost cals. Food is better than supplements though. Try using full fat milk for example for extra cals. I drink 4pts full fat each evening
Andrew_2006
Rep:
?
Surely that's an awful way of boosting mass.You're just adding fat, increasing cholestrol? Seems ridiculous if you ask me.
pamelaa
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Bebbs)
if your eating that amount and struggling whey is a good way to boost cals. Food is better than supplements though. Try using full fat milk for example for extra cals. I drink 4pts full fat each evening
4? wow!
Bebbs
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
yeah i previously drunk 6pints of semi skimmed across the day, normally 4 before bed.

Andrew: not really damaging. Its an easy way to get calories. I havent become a heffer from doing it, so imo as long as you eat clean and lift big it doesnt matter.
Rainy
Badges: 2
Report 10 years ago
Surely that's an awful way of boosting mass.You're just adding fat, increasing cholestrol? Seems ridiculous if you ask me.
Post your sodding diet, exercise plans, and goals (fitness? hypertrophy?) - detailed. Then go away and read up on nutritional science while we tear both to pieces.

Meanwhile: whole foods are evidently better than supplements. End of the day, though, whey is whey and myprotein is as cheap a source as any.
Goldy
Report 10 years ago
Okay looking for some decent protein shakes, with the following aims

1) add lean muscle - I'm not interested in actually gaining mass so to speak - so stuff like pro mass is not reall what I'm after.

2) They must taste okay. I have tried CNP pro mass and thought that was quite nice actually.

Of course they must be safe! I presume I will need whey protein? Maybe CNP stuff then?>
MP68912

5% off myprotein
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (512)
37.76%
No - but I will (104)
7.67%
No - I don't want to (93)
6.86%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (647)
47.71%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise