How long to stay at uni until I know it's time to do something else Watch

Tom Downey
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I've been at uni for nearly 3 years now, however, this year I changed and started my course again due to being unsucessful at my last uni. I study civil Engineering. I have been pretty unhappy since the start of October, I'm not enjoying the course anymore and have just lost all motivation to carry on. I really feel like dropping out and starting a job to think about what it is I want to do. I'm really lost in what to think and do! I don't want to drop out now and regret not finishing, but I still don't want to be feeling unhappy and down all the time either. Any help is greatly appreciated
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Tom Downey)
I've been at uni for nearly 3 years now, however, this year I changed and started my course again due to being unsucessful at my last uni. I study civil Engineering. I have been pretty unhappy since the start of October, I'm not enjoying the course anymore and have just lost all motivation to carry on. I really feel like dropping out and starting a job to think about what it is I want to do. I'm really lost in what to think and do! I don't want to drop out now and regret not finishing, but I still don't want to be feeling unhappy and down all the time either. Any help is greatly appreciated
If you can get into your desired career path without getting a degree (i.e. through apprenticeships or on-the-job training), then you have less pressure to stay. If you've lost passion for university study, and you don't think it's likely to return, the sensible thing would be to leave. However, before you do that, make sure you've discussed this with all the relevant people to get different perspectives: your family, friends, personal tutor, student support, even the finance department (I don't know if you're self-funding or have a Student Finance loan). Another good thing to do would be to imagine dropping out, and visualise exactly what you would do/feel if you did. If you've thought it all through, you'll feel more confident with your decision.
hallamstudents
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hey.

It isn't for everyone, really, even though people treat it as this mandatory thing. If you aren't feeling it and have kind of been 'reset', maybe it's for the best? As above, there are ways to get into jobs without degrees, so if you can look into that vein of things. Apprenticeships, etc.

If you think you can stick it out - maybe draw up some pro and cons and make a decision based off of that.
Joshua
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Trinity Laban Conservatoire of Music and Dance
    Musical Theatre Undergraduate
    Fri, 13 Dec '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 18 Dec '19
  • The University of Law
    Open Day – GDL and LPC - Chester campus Postgraduate
    Sat, 4 Jan '20

Do you work while at uni?