Unsure how to approach this... Watch

amyshoe
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
I love my boyfriend, so much, I feel complete when I am around him. But he is going to university in september, and i've had to be released from the university I was intending to go to (due to family issues buts that another issue..) Anyway, I love that he is going to university to get one step close to what he's really been wanting to do, he stayed on an extra year a 6th form to ensure he got the best grades he could, I know he'll pass with flying colours and get to the university happily, I'm just a bit scared that eventually we'll fall apart. Not saying we definately will, as some have managed to keep a long distance relationship healthy, but with the distance it will be difficult, I'm deciding to stay on another year to take up some more AS levels, whilst taking up a new part time job to make sure I save up decent money to get the train and back when i visit him etc.

And its not an issue of trust, I can trust him really well, but what scares me is the thought that the university he is going to (70% women lol) he could meet someone, even if its an accidental bumping into each other at the library, hanging out at the SU or a town bar/club. We've spoken about it before, but he keeps saying "oh don't you want me to go uni then?" or "don't you trust me?" which makes it hard when I even attempt to open up to him because he'll jump to conclusions. I want him to go to university, I'd never forgive myself if he didn't go just because I'm worried he'll meet someone.

I know some people would recommend going to university single, as it makes life so much easier etc, but I'd feel so empty without him and I'm willing to work so hard to keep our relationship working, and I know he'd try too, but I'd get scared of smothering him too much, or distracting him from his new life and uni friends, because its such an important step, I don't wanna be th cause of any negative feelings.

When I even try to talk to some close friends about this they'll make a joke like "well he is a guy" so it's difficult to get some other perspectives. I wanna be with him, but at the same time I don't want him to feel like he has to stay with me when he's at university. It's really difficult to open up to him about this because like I said before, he jumps to conclusions and I feel like an idiot for even opening up about how I feel i the first place. I'm just being a paranoid poo... has anyone else felt worried about their partner meeting someone else at university?

Or, has anyone/is anyone, in a long distance relationship with no issues, if so any tips on how to keep the relationship going?
He's already said he wants to stay with me, but with the distance he's at, any contact we'd have would be once or twice a month, due to me staying on in education for one more year, as well as working more often to make sure I have money to go down and see him. His course is 4 years also, so by the time I go to university (2009) he'll have three years left, so until then it'll be the hardest thing ever, besides term papers, more A levels etc lol.

I probably sound so silly, if so I apologise... I'm probably not even making any sense haha... i apologise for that also... but some general views both negative and positive would be appreciated...
myblueheaven339
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
i know how you feel, im going to university in september and my boyfriend of nearly 5 years is staying at home. i trust him completely but i do worry that the distance will put a strain on our relationship and i don't want him to feel too left behind.
Sprout_hair
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Stop worrying and go for it!
If things work out then great.. but if they dont then maybe its not meant to be..
storminaDcup
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Could i ask how long you've been together? in sort of the same situation, me and my boyfriend are going ot uni this september but separate ones and i'm desperate to make it work.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (502)
37.8%
No - but I will (102)
7.68%
No - I don't want to (91)
6.85%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (633)
47.67%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise